Oteha Valley Road, Tāmaki-makau-rau, Te Ika-a-Māui Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, keep in mind I'm a postgraduate in the United Kingdom. So, I'm actually one of those you refer to who doesn't adapt well. It's worse in the U.K. though. 70-100 is all first class honors.

I got a 78 on my first assignment and I was like what the fuck who do I have to slay right now...? Supposedly I got one of the highest grades...

I would become such a slacker in the States. "Wow, I didn't even have to try for that 90 and it's the highest mark I've ever seen!"

I would become such a slacker in the States. "Wow, I didn't even have to try for that 90 and it's the highest mark I've ever seen!"
i think i have like a 95 in my current class. keep in mind it's hard as fuck (at least two of my classmates have cried over the work and it's not our first semester, we're accustomed to grad school) and has stressed me out the whole time.

i got an a+ in one which meant 98-100 for the final grade. for a master's class.

ftr i still think we should do cut and shoot, texas. i suggested that one in the last thread or the thread before that.

Everybody here looks at me like I'm mad and assumes I went soft when they learn I gave out a 97. It's just about unheard of.

And maybe you should be here to make the next thread and choose its location then. :wink:

Okay so where/what is everyone's class here at this epoch...?

I'm a master's student in UK doing space systems engineering.

In my field, even in Oz I imagine, getting 100 on some assignments is still possible and not unheard of. I say that because even here in england we still get assignments that are objective answers so if you're mathematically correct, you'll get 100. Typically classes that have this ability are met by exams where you don't have to pass them and the average exam grade is at or around the failure line.

In my field, even in Oz I imagine, getting 100 on some assignments is still possible and not unheard of. I say that because even here in england we still get assignments that are objective answers so if you're mathematically correct, you'll get 100. Typically classes that have this ability are met by exams where you don't have to pass them and the average exam grade is at or around the failure line.

I'm an undergrad in a Bachelor of Arts (aka everything is reflective assignments so full marks are possible) and have Bachelor of Communications which was pretty black and white, so a perfect score in anything was possible. I needed practically a perfect score in an exam because I'd had a sook and decided I couldn't be fucked with an assignment that was 40% of the score, so I needed to slot the exam to complete it.

I have always assumed that in some disciplines - mainly STEM disciplines - it is possible and commonplace to get 100% on exams where all the answers are simply right or wrong. I have no direct experience of any such discipline though, as at undergraduate level I only studied History and Political Science, both disciplines where 100 is impossible (or, at best, theoretically possible). After Honours I went straight into my PhD in History - Australia is the only country with which I am familiar where it is possible and common to skip a Masters - and have no experience of subjects outside the discipline.

So, where am I now, I received my PhD two years ago here in Melbourne and have worked at the same university ever since as a research assistant within History and a research fellow in the Chancellery (and this year was my sixth teaching in History). I'm also an honorary associate at another university in this city. From June next year I'm starting a 3-year position up in Wollongong and I'm already delightfully confused by the idea that for the first time in my life I will be paid a regular salary rather than submitting fortnightly timecards for a variable casual wage.

Well now I know why I felt a bit hungover this morning. The sniffles that I thought was just hayfever does in fact appear to be yet another goddamn fucking cold, and red wine always knocks me down when I'm unwell. I'm getting colds about once a month at the moment and it's driving me bonkers.

Ugh this Facebook notification format is fucking irritating. I don't need two sets of tabs open at the top and bottom of my screen just let me weed through Facebook and deal with my 10 open tabs at the top.

i'm getting a master's in translation. i'll be starting my final semester january, actually. i'm (impatiently) waiting on grades for this semester, but so far i've made an a on everything, except for one class where i made an a-.

I have always assumed that in some disciplines - mainly STEM disciplines - it is possible and commonplace to get 100% on exams where all the answers are simply right or wrong.
yeah, this is definitely true. my bf has a bachelor's (he plans on getting a master's but, you know, real life keeps interfering) in the stem field and you could get a 100 on something, since like you said some answers would be either right or wrong.

me, i can barely do basic arithmetic it seems.

I have always assumed that in some disciplines - mainly STEM disciplines - it is possible and commonplace to get 100% on exams where all the answers are simply right or wrong. I have no direct experience of any such discipline though.

Depends on the class and the professor. Usually it's possible, but typically it's so difficult that it doesn't happen. Often, a professor will induce a subjective grading portion for "work shown" so simply getting the answer right isn't enough.

After Honours I went straight into my PhD in History - Australia is the only country with which I am familiar where it is possible and common to skip a Masters - and have no experience of subjects outside the discipline.

Good news, in just about every country it is common to skip a master's and go right into a PhD. As a PhD student in the United States, for example, you can request to receive your master's degree along the way. The first two years of a phd program are typically the same thing as a master's degree. So f you get a master's and apply for PhD, you can transfer some credits upon acceptance, if applicable.

This university talk has reminded me that sometime I should change the university switchboard contact in my phone into "AUT" instead of "mum".

When they called me on what was then a new phone, my reaction was "That's not a contact who should be calling me on this phone I've had for a month.....oh hang on a second"

I'll get around to it eventually. When I can be arsed.

Good news, in just about every country it is common to skip a master's and go right into a PhD. As a PhD student in the United States, for example, you can request to receive your master's degree along the way. The first two years of a phd program are typically the same thing as a master's degree. So f you get a master's and apply for PhD, you can transfer some credits upon acceptance, if applicable.

Are you sure of that? The only people I know who are doing an MA here in Australia are those who want to do a PhD in the UK, because they can't get admitted off the back of an Honours degree. (I only mean those who actually want to stay in academia; I'm not counting people doing MAs here for professional reasons.) And my mate from New Zealand was a little pissed off that he did an MA there because if he'd known he could've come straight here from Honours he would've - but then I remind him he didn't choose his topic until late in his MA, and he only came to Australia because his preferred supervisor was here. He could've easily chosen a topic/supervisor that would've taken him elsewhere, and wasn't to know the Australian system doesn't require an MA for admission to PhD. I was also talking to someone from France last week who was stunned that it's not normal to do MAs here first, and my colleague from Germany indicated the Australian system is not normal in this regard either. It certainly stands out on the CVs of people in our department - those who studied only in Australia don't have MAs unless they're really old, while those who came here from elsewhere or went overseas for PhD also have an MA to their name.

The American system is very difficult to compare, since your PhDs take fucking a billion years. Our PhDs run for three years (though most scholarships allow for one six-month extension, which everybody takes because free money).

Ugh this Facebook notification format is fucking irritating. I don't need two sets of tabs open at the top and bottom of my screen just let me weed through Facebook and deal with my 10 open tabs at the top.

Oh god, it's driving me up the goddamn wall. Who thought this a good idea.

Are you sure of that? The only people I know who are doing an MA here in Australia are those who want to do a PhD in the UK, because they can't get admitted off the back of an Honours degree. (I only mean those who actually want to stay in academia; I'm not counting people doing MAs here for professional reasons.) And my mate from New Zealand was a little pissed off that he did an MA there because if he'd known he could've come straight here from Honours he would've - but then I remind him he didn't choose his topic until late in his MA, and he only came to Australia because his preferred supervisor was here. He could've easily chosen a topic/supervisor that would've taken him elsewhere, and wasn't to know the Australian system doesn't require an MA for admission to PhD. I was also talking to someone from France last week who was stunned that it's not normal to do MAs here first, and my colleague from Germany indicated the Australian system is not normal in this regard either. It certainly stands out on the CVs of people in our department - those who studied only in Australia don't have MAs unless they're really old, while those who came here from elsewhere or went overseas for PhD also have an MA to their name.

The American system is very difficult to compare, since your PhDs take fucking a billion years. Our PhDs run for three years (though most scholarships allow for one six-month extension, which everybody takes because free money).

I am 100% positive, yes.

British PhDs are much more exclusive towards British people as that's how the funding trickles down.

In reality, it's actually the British PhDs that are the awkward ones.

American PhDs can take several different lengths of time. It depends, really.

No guests?

Hang on, here's a Facebook message I sent that's out of context and may get some more views for the site:

And wait, what's the issue with being bisexual? My last two girlfriends were

I'm going to assume (based on hell, history) this is why we've now got seven guests.

If I get bored/drunk later I may expand. If I feel like it.

Or have no other conversations to have

Facebook is just becoming the worst. But Twitter is too ephemeral, Tumblr too niche and focused on images/memes, Instagram is pointless and not at all social, and messageboards are dead. What's a guy to do for online interaction these days?

I am 100% positive, yes.

British PhDs are much more exclusive towards British people as that's how the funding trickles down.

In reality, it's actually the British PhDs that are the awkward ones.

American PhDs can take several different lengths of time. It depends, really.

I wonder how much of it is cultural, that there's simply an expectation that of course you do an MA first. Because I consistently encounter foreigners who are just bewildered that we go straight from Hons to PhD. (There is starting to be some pushback, especially a feeling we have too many people doing PhD without adequate preparation, but the current scholarship funding model makes any change unlikely.)

And British funding is just mad. I noticed that the British equivalent of a couple of Australian schemes have weird conditions that require you to have either studied or had a non-ongoing academic position at a British university beforehand.

In regards to it being cultural, if you're speaking of the British, I actually just think it has to do with their structure. Master's degrees are short here (12 months). Undergraduate degrees are short here (3 years). PhDs are short here (3 years). In the US if you're a phd the swiftest you can be is 4 and 4, really. 8 years. Getting a phd in 6 years seems rather early. I sure as hell won't call someone doctor who is a year younger than me unless they've done more work than I have.

What I'm confused is what you keep calling "Hons."

Bachelor's degree: 3 years
Bachelor's degree with Honours: 4 years

Masters: 18 months, give or take depending upon whether it's by coursework or research and the disciplinary norms

PhD: 3 years (though the funding arrangements make it such that 3.5 years is more attractive for the average candidate)

In most institutions the PhD is by research only. A few now require some amount of coursework in the first year but have not made up for this by extending the candidature period. I was lucky - my university introduced coursework the very year after my PhD cohort. So all the people a year after me had to do more work but in the same amount of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom