Olive Crane - what a surprise (collectors of collectibles may like this one)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cass

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I'm not sure how I feel about this.
In a previous thread here the question was asked "what do you collect?" One of the things I mentioned is old china.
Now how to tell this story logically?

My friend, the beautiful flower artist who will be 40 on Friday, gave me a pastel drawing of a coastal lake surrounded by flannel flowers for my 40th birthday. Flannel flowers are fast disappearing white velvety coastal Australian flowers.
I went to a garage sale on the weekend, to the most old fashioned motel near here. It has always reminded me of Fawlty Towers and I was hoping to meet a Basil look-a -like.No luck there.
Instead I found a Wilkinson dish from Staffordshire with flannel flowers painted on the rim. All but the border was covered with orange paint...thank goodness they left that bit on view. It was on the 50 cent table. A bargain:)
The artist's name is on the bottom, Olive Crane. I started to scrape off the paint when I got home and found the most beautiful shade of purple glaze underneath the frightful orange paint( my son suggested they wanted it to look like a terracotta pot) It is not in perfect condition, no cracks or chips but a couple of scratches...only a couple:)
Anyway I just typed Olive Crane into a search engine and am a bit taken aback by Olive Crane's story...it's a bit of a sad one, a common one. I was going to out a dracena with white pebbles and a little fairy ornament into the dish for my friend's birthday but I'm not so sure now.
Anyway, I enjoyed that trail of discovery...
If you want to know about Olive( cool name?)
www.undelete.org/woa/woa05-09.html

PS: the world is safe from 40/41 year old fairies...for now. The party is getting bigger . It was an impulsive idea anyway...I am taking some fairybelle gel though..... just a trace of fairy:angel:

Peace musiclovers

Back
Top Bottom