Oldest album/song in your collection?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
Going by Release Date...

1. What's the oldest album in your collection?

< A Hard Day's Night - The Beatles (1964)

2. What's the oldest song in your collection?

< All My Loving - The Beatles (1963)

Oldest Album
Help! by The Beatles (1964)

Oldest Song
White Christmas by The Drifters (1956)

recorded or written/composed? because any classical stuff i've got is going to trump robert johnson. otherwise, i'd guess that compilation is the oldest recorded stuff i've got.

:ohmy:

Is that possible? Quick, somebody give me an example of a song recorded in the 20th or 21st century that was written more than 100 years back! :wink:

Zootlesque said:
:ohmy:

Is that possible? Quick, somebody give me an example of a song recorded in the 20th or 21st century that was written more than 100 years back! :wink:

A bunch from Springsteen's new album...

i know next to nothing about classical music, all i know is that i've got some vivaldi my high school choir sang back in 2000 or something. and some miscelanous beethovan, grieg, and probably mozart and/or handel recorded godknowswhen. and bach. i listened to the brandenburg concertos a lot when i was 12. but that was all recorded, you know, later, obviously.

that question isn't for real, right?

clifedge said:

A bunch from Springsteen's new album...

hells yeah. the definition of traditional folk is that it's so old no one can remember from whence it came.

namkcuR said:

You're not serious, are you?

No. :wink:

I admit I don't know the specifics of what existed before the 20th century but surely I can say I've at least 'heard of' the great composers!

I have always wondered if you took say an album like The Joshua Tree or even Achtung Baby, or Purple Rain or Dark Side of the Moon, or Revolver and so on, and played them in the 1800s or the 1500s etc, what would people think?

Would anyone like it? or would they all think it was devil music and just plain bad? Obviously they wouldn't have anything to compare it against to gain an understanding of it, they certainly wouldnt have had any idea what an electric guitar is:wink:

Tis just something i've always wondered.

why don't you invent a time machine and go find out? or maybe you could just invent a time machine and give it to me.

Nah I would probably end up messing with the space time continuum...

If I did make them listen to Prince in the 1500s he would probably have become a world religion......which I would probably sign up to:drool:

Oldest album: V/A - A Christmas Gift To You (1963)

Oldest song: If downloaded MP3s count then Edward Meeker - Low Bridge! Everybody Down (1913)

Scott Joplin - various tracks. My friend gave me a CD of old wax recordings of the man himself and it is pure brilliance. :D

The album itself isn't old but the songs are pretty old.

Hank Williams Sr. - 20 Greatest Hits

or maybe

Howlin Wolf - Bluesmaster

Last edited:
Probably Django Reinhardt. Stuff is from 1935-1940. I've also got a couple Louis Armstrong compilations that don't have dates on them, but songs might be just as old.

Composition wise, gotta be Beethoven.

The oldest song I have is an original 45 recording of (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction by The Rolling Stones. It's very scratchy and worn, but still neat to have. It actually belonged to my Mother's best friend, and it somehow ended up in my grandmother's attic. I like it because it's like a little musical time machine on a round piece of plastic. The biggest problem we had when I found it, was how to play it...the old family record player had sadly bitten the dust years ago. In the end, I played it on my sister's plastic, box-type player, which projected a crappy, hollow sound--but ultimately charming.

Back
Top Bottom