Okkervil River thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2% downloaded

banana.gif

Anyone notice how one of the tracks is called "The Blonde In the Bleachers"?

That's a line towards the end of "Love To A Monster".

I'm trying to get into the Stage Names. So far it's just good, not much more. Will give more impressions soon.

I Came Here to Say I'm Going Away is quite nice.

I like the live version of Listening to Otis..., though it's pretty straight forward.

Blonde in the Bleachers was an obvious influence for a few songs in a major way.

Okay, LTORAHDC is definitely one from the show I saw.

Imagine being seated in the second row for that, bitches. Probably the best show I saw all year. I hope they recorded the entire thing. Good golly!

u2popmofo said:

Please allow me to provide 9 examples as to why The Stage Names is a masterpiece:

1. It's just a life story, so there's no climax. No more new territory, so pull away the IMAX. In the slot that you sliced through the scene there was no shyness. In the plot that you passed through your teeth there was no pity. No fade in: film begins on a kid in the big city. And no cut to a costly parade that's for him only. No dissolve to a sliver of grey - that's his new lady, where she glows just like grain on the flickering pane of some great movie. (Hey, I'd watch it!)

I just discovered this song on my iPod on a road trip last week and I can't stop listening to it. It's so freaking good I can't stand it!!! :bow:

joyfulgirl said:

I just discovered this song on my iPod on a road trip last week and I can't stop listening to it. It's so freaking good I can't stand it!!! :bow:

YEEEEEESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

If you don't have it already, you really should get the album. If you love Our Life Is Not a Movie or Maybe that much, I think you'd love the album.

By the way, I can hook you up with an acoustic Will solo demo version of the track that is also very nice. Expect a PM.

I haven't bought Stage Names yet and I don't even know where I got this song. I love surprises like that, when a song I haven't paid any attention to just pops up and grabs me. I have Black Sheep Boy but I honestly never really got into it. I need to pull it out again and start listening to it.

BSB and Stage Names are quite different albums in terms of style and theme (BSB is dark, Stage Names is uplifting for the most part), but it's still all Okkervil River. Regardless, glad to hear you're liking it (it's so shocking as we seem to NEVER like the same type of things....).

:wink:

u2popmofo said:
Stage Names is uplifting for the most part

It's the spirit of abandon that I'm so drawn to in Our Life Is Not a Movie or Maybe so if the whole record is more like that then I must purchase.

Uggh, a greatest hits/best of for The Wrens would be a travesty, unless it was just a double disc of Secaucus and Meadowland. :wink:

Anyways, there should be a separate Wrens thread.

Back to Okkervil, I really don't think I listened to the Golden Opportunities free mixtape much, as I listened to both April Anne and The Blonde in the Bleachers today, and was pretty impressed with how good both sound.

joyfulgirl said:

It's the spirit of abandon that I'm so drawn to in Our Life Is Not a Movie or Maybe so if the whole record is more like that then I must purchase.

Lyrically, it's still got that going for it. Okkervil are about the best band I know for doing what I like to call "surprisingly dark" music (that's the best description I can come up with). Essentially, on first listen the songs sound either fun, exciting, or beautiful. Then you actually listen to the lyrics and realize it's dark as hell. On the last album, Black (fitting title) was a great example, alluding to some type of child abuse inside of a pop/love song. Will Sheff still uses that in this record, but the theme is pretty consistent with that in Our Life, the difference between "real" life and that portrayed on the "stage", whether it be movies, television, literature, music, celebrity, etc. So there's a number of tragic characters and a great deal of pointing out that things are not as all of us have been taught through modern entertainment.

u2popmofo said:

Essentially, on first listen the songs sound either fun, exciting, or beautiful. Then you actually listen to the lyrics and realize it's dark as hell.

I love that. :yes:

u2popmofo said:

Lyrically, it's still got that going for it. Okkervil are about the best band I know for doing what I like to call "surprisingly dark" music (that's the best description I can come up with). Essentially, on first listen the songs sound either fun, exciting, or beautiful. Then you actually listen to the lyrics and realize it's dark as hell. On the last album, Black (fitting title) was a great example, alluding to some type of child abuse inside of a pop/love song. Will Sheff still uses that in this record, but the theme is pretty consistent with that in Our Life, the difference between "real" life and that portrayed on the "stage", whether it be movies, television, literature, music, celebrity, etc. So there's a number of tragic characters and a great deal of pointing out that things are not as all of us have been taught through modern entertainment.

That was one of the most superb descriptions of their music I've ever read. Well done! I've been on an Okkervil kick recently making a mix for a friend of mine.

I've never heard of the "Don't Look Down" series of videos, but apparently they just take a band and have them play on the top of a tall building in New York City. Okkervil River played a 3 song set for it, but the performance of 'Okkervil River Song' is a major standout. If you're a fan, I think you'll really enjoy this. If you're not a fan, you'll probably still be impressed.

The sun rises over Okkervil River

I've listened/watched this 3 times on loop now....

Whoa, did you listen to the interview on the original link? Sounds like we're going to get another "appendix" type release for Stage Names, like they did with BSB!

YAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY

*runs around room screaming*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom