ok comp. leads spin's top 10 of last 20 years

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deep

Blue Crack Addict
1. "OK Computer," Radiohead
2. "It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back," Public Enemy
3. "Nevermind," Nirvana
4. "Slanted and Enchanted," Pavement
5. "The Queen Is Dead," Smiths
6. "Surfer Rosa," PIxies
7. "3 Feet High and Rising," De La Soul
8. "Sign 'O' the Times," Prince
9. "Rid of Me," PJ Harvey
10. "Straight Outta Compton," N.W.A

pavement
pixies
p j harvey :up:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Music/06/20/music.spintop100.ap/index.html

That's actually a pretty good list in my opinion. It's nice to see a list that has things ahead of Nirvana...

It's not a bad list...but seriously bias aside any credible list would include Achtung, Baby! in the top 10 (heck, top 1). It's simply the best album ever by any artist...but U2 is too big a "name" to put in the top 10 and Spin is attempting to stay "true" to the indie/alternative rock scene so it's a political move to keep them out.

Hawkfire said:
It's not a bad list...but seriously bias aside any credible list would include Achtung, Baby! in the top 10 (heck, top 1). It's simply the best album ever by any artist...but U2 is too big a "name" to put in the top 10 and Spin is attempting to stay "true" to the indie/alternative rock scene so it's a political move to keep them out.

Serious question here, where have you ever seen Actung Baby rated as one of the best albums ever, besides a U2 forum?

By the way, Achtung Baby was rated as #11 on their list.

MrBrau1 said:
The media and their cock stroking of Radiohead is becoming a problem.

To who? No matter what the list would have looked like, most everyone would have still disagreed with a good deal of it (I know I do). All of these types of things have to be taken with a grain of salt, after all it's really nothing other than a way for Spin to market this issue of their magazine.

Good list.

We all want U2 on there, but that's bias, to be honest.

Achtung Baby at number 11 is right about where it really should be.

Hawkfire said:

U2 has been on many a cover of Spin, and they often mention the band in their neverending pissing contest lists (almost like those neverending pissing contest polls that drag about here).

The "slighting" (if you even want to call it that, considering the company that Achtung Baby is in) is probably more a result of age. After a while, especially to those are not hardcore U2 fans, the record becomes dated.

Who knows what albums will truly have a lasting impact. Bach was certainly admonished for his Baroque iPod commercial... but folks still remember him.

haha, baroque ipod commercial? i must have missed that.

good list, except that kid a should have been number two, behind ok computer.

yertle-the-turtle said:
That is a good list.

The one surprising omission for me has to be 'Loveless' though. That's usually in the top five of any 'best of' list I see from most magazines.

They had it at 22.

I wonder if they explain how they came to these results in the magazine (did one or two people just pick all their favorites, or was it a poll among all their staff?). Doubt they explain it, and I doubt it was very "scientific".

From cnn.com

"After gathering suggestions from everyone at the magazine, a tribunal of Michel and editors Jon Dolan and Charles Aaron sorted out the ultimate records of "the Spin era." Their criteria, Michel says, was the basic brilliance of the record, its innovation and its overall relevance."

Sia Michel is the editor-in-chief, by the way.

Anyway, give it up for De La Soul! That album is genius! :applaud:

Last edited:
u2popmofo said:
It's nice to see a list that has things ahead of Nirvana...
Nirvana's overrated.
MrBrau1 said:
The media and their cock stroking of Radiohead is becoming a problem.
Radiohead's overrated.
DaveC said:
We all want U2 on there, but that's bias, to be honest.
U2's overrated.

And I'll contribute that all those rap albums I've never even listened to are overrated.

So what can we all agree on?

That's right:

prince.jpg

PUUUUUUUUUURPLE RAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIN!

Its just Spin's opinion, don't worry
Radiohead and Nirvana are no fucking way better than Achtung Baby, no fucking way!
I remember they even named The Ramones as the 2nd best band ever

Spin? Don't take them seriously
Make a people's poll, then will see

There are lot of people that know a lot about music that do not work for Spin. Thats a Fact

deep said:
1. "OK Computer," Radiohead
2. "It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back," Public Enemy

6. "Surfer Rosa," PIxies
7. "3 Feet High and Rising," De La Soul

9. "Rid of Me," PJ Harvey
10. "Straight Outta Compton," N.W.A

I don't know about the best, but all albums I love.
No wait, I DO know Surfer Rosa is the best...

Before I died, I took my Honda And packed it up to Arizona!

:rockon:

I like that list. And it begs the question, why on earth do I still not own Slanted and Enchanted? It's nearly a musical crime.

deep said:

well,

they should have called themselves

P2

pavement
pixies
p j harvey
prince
public enemy

:lol:

Automatic for the People at 85? Psychocandy at 71? Maybe I'm just biased but I can't see how Missy Elliott is better than the Jesus and Mary Chain.

Has anyone else bought/read this issue of Spin yet? It's actually quite good. Sure the list is a bit different than we all would probably make individually, but the list still contains a lot of what we'd probably choose.

They have a write up on each of the 100 albums in the issue, and it's quite fascinating. They have quotes/interviews with other artists about almost each album, and more or less explain why they think each was one of the best albums of the last 20 years. The issue has really tipped me off on some albums from the past that I need to keep my eyes out for. :up:

I own 19 of these albums, only 3 of the top 10. A pretty good list, i guess, for alternative ground-breaking music, but not overall pleasing to my palette.

Back
Top Bottom