Ohai, New Zealand Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally finished mine just as Pahana posted the sign up thread.

You're probably right... I dunno when Bradman was playing exactly, but my dad was born in 1926. I'll ask him if he ever went to a game where Bradman played...

*awaits barrage of ":ohmy:" faces*

Incidentally, it is NOT CHEAP to turn dirt roads to bitumen. The road behind my parents' place is gravel, and a fairly steep hill (dunno how much that would affect the price)... various residents of said road have asked the council to bitumenise it, and the council basically said the residents would have to pay for it themselves... at $10,000 each, or something frightening like that. (I think that's for the frontage of an acre block.) Needless to say, most of them decided they could live with dusty laundry and washed-out gutters...!

Bradman was still playing after WWII, so there would be a pretty good chance. :ohmy:

Holy shit! I remember the communal driveway where my Mum lives (and where I used to live) on the Gold Coast was recently paved to the tune of something astonishingly expensive, but I don't think it was that bad. Mum got off nicely because she's first on the driveway, and all five properties split that portion five ways. Then the next part was split four ways by the four houses that used it, with Mum not having to pay a cent, and so on and so forth up to the final section, paid for solely by the final house and not done for a long time!

I've been up for hours working on my Desert Island list. It's actually proving to be kind of stressful but also a hell of a lot of fun. Have you guys already finished your lists?

Hell no. I'm currently wondering if I can/should slot the Rolling Stones into mine somehow.

Hi GAF :wave:

Parents are good at that.

My dad told me once, as a joke, that those little twinges you get in your leg or whatever are caused by random cosmic rays that just happen to intersect your leg at that moment.
I was an impressionable child. I believed it and was convincing other people that this was true until one day in year 12 (aged 17), I realised it was utter BS.

:lol:

:laugh: My father works in banking, and one day when I was about seven or eight, he told me that they were thinking of introducing a $7 note because people so often bought things worth about $7 and were sick of carrying around $5 notes plus change. I took it hook, line, and sinker and believed it until he told me later that it wasn't true.

Oh hi!

O hai!

o high. This thread location kicks ass.

I've been up for hours working on my Desert Island list. It's actually proving to be kind of stressful but also a hell of a lot of fun. Have you guys already finished your lists?

Ohai, GAF. I finished my DI list way back in late May! It came to me in a burst of inspiration and I've been happy with it ever since.

Hell no. I'm currently wondering if I can/should slot the Rolling Stones into mine somehow.

Hi GAF :wave:

Hey, that's funny because I actually was wrestling with the same thing earlier. and I ended up finding the perfect spot for the Stones in my list.

Another perspective of the popularity and regard of the Don - here in Adelaide, one of the highways is called the Sir Donald Bradman Drive.

Not that I care about cricket in the least, but you have to admit he was pretty fucking insane.

Ohai, GAF. I finished my DI list way back in late May! It came to me in a burst of inspiration and I've been happy with it ever since.

Wow, good work. Yeah, it seems with creating these lists that it's hard to stop going once you get in a good rhythm.

Another perspective of the popularity and regard of the Don - here in Adelaide, one of the highways is called the Sir Donald Bradman Drive.

Not that I care about cricket in the least, but you have to admit he was pretty fucking insane.

I think the "world sport context" part of his Wikipedia article says it all: Donald Bradman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you can make even Pele look markedly inferior, you're doing something very, very right.

If you're an Australian sportsman and you can inspire awe even in massively biased Kiwis, you're a fucking god at what you do.

:laugh: My father works in banking, and one day when I was about seven or eight, he told me that they were thinking of introducing a $7 note because people so often bought things worth about $7 and were sick of carrying around $5 notes plus change. I took it hook, line, and sinker and believed it until he told me later that it wasn't true.
It's always jarring when you first realise your parents are not only fallible, but that they lie, and you fell for it. :hug:

Damn you.

Wow, good work. Yeah, it seems with creating these lists that it's hard to stop going once you get in a good rhythm.

It's especially hard to stop when you're making a list while procrastinating on university bullshit. :wink:

Hey, that's funny because I actually was wrestling with the same thing earlier. and I ended up finding the perfect spot for the Stones in my list.

Awesome... I'll have to give mine another listen later to see if it works the way I've got it there...

I honestly can't tell whether any part of my list is shite or not at the moment. :lol:

I'm seeing where wireless headphones would be useful now. I want to keep listening to my list, but I badly need to pack a bag and get ready for bed, and all my housemates are asleep.

It's always jarring when you first realise your parents are not only fallible, but that they lie, and you fell for it. :hug:

SANTA CLAUS.

Actually, I don't even remember when I found out Santa wasn't real, but it was at a very young age. Judging by what I can remember, there wasn't one single moment and I just figured it out for myself gradually. By the time I was five or so, both my parents and I were concscious of it just being some fun make-believe at Christmastime.

I'm seeing where wireless headphones would be useful now. I want to keep listening to my list, but I badly need to pack a bag and get ready for bed, and all my housemates are asleep.

Yeah, I often wish I could walk around with headphones. Since I don't have housemates, I can - and do - put music on speakers when I need to, but I don't want to be "that guy who plays loud music at 3am" to all my neighbours. At the moment, I'm running things through speakers but quietly.

I was about 2 and I told my mum "You know, Santa just isn't logical."

SANTA CLAUS.

Actually, I don't even remember when I found out Santa wasn't real, but it was at a very young age. Judging by what I can remember, there wasn't one single moment and I just figured it out for myself gradually. By the time I was five or so, both my parents and I were concscious of it just being some fun make-believe at Christmastime.

I don't remember ever believing in Santa Claus, but I know I stopped believing in him before a friend of mine, and we got into an argument about it in grade three or something when the class was watching some Christmas kids movie.

I do remember realising the Tooth Fairy wasn't real. See, my tooth fairy used to leave notes along with the 50c - and one day I noticed that the tooth fairy wrote her capital "I"s the same way my mum did, with this funny little loop at the top...

:sigh:

I was about 2 and I told my mum "You know, Santa just isn't logical."

:lol: Yeah, I'd tell my mother that it was just silly to think one guy could visit every child in the world. I'll have to ask Mum just how young I was, though, since I don't remember much about ANY aspects of Christmas until I was five - which is weird, as I have a LOT of vivid childhood memories from very early on. The earliest Christmastime memory that I can date for sure is when I was five and got my trampoline, though one other pretty vivid one is probably from when I was four.

It seems that my brain finds random, inconsequential things I saw on TV at age two to be memorable, but not Christmas! :huh:

I don't remember ever believing in Santa Claus, but I know I stopped believing in him before a friend of mine, and we got into an argument about it in grade three or something when the class was watching some Christmas kids movie.

I do remember realising the Tooth Fairy wasn't real. See, my tooth fairy used to leave notes along with the 50c - and one day I noticed that the tooth fairy wrote her capital "I"s the same way my mum did, with this funny little loop at the top...

:sigh:

Heh, my mother used to set up Easter egg hunts for me with notes purportedly from the Easter Bunny. I knew it was her handwriting though, so whenever I was stuck (she was good with cryptic clues), I'd go straight to her for clues and ignore whatever my father tried to tell me!

I also knew there was no Tooth Fairy - in fact, when Mum introduced the concept to me when I lost my first tooth, I think I call it out as a silly idea - but I was more than happy to play along and milk it for money.

It seems that my brain finds random, inconsequential things I saw on TV at age two to be memorable, but not Christmas! :huh:

I'm trying to remember some of my early Christmases... the best I can do is remembering dad doing his annual battle with the christmas lights for the tree. Every year, he'd go to plug them in and they wouldn't work... which meant one of the little blubs had blown, which made the whole thing not work. So he would have to go through and test every single light bulb individually to see which one needed replacing, and it was invariably one at the opposite end of the string from where he started.

I remember THAT, but not the actual Christmas itself! :lol:

I have few memories from before my 5th birthday.

I also knew there was no Tooth Fairy - in fact, when Mum introduced the concept to me when I lost my first tooth, I think I call it out as a silly idea - but I was more than happy to play along and milk it for money.

:lol: Brilliant... I'm not sure if I asked whether my discovery meant no more money for teeth. :giggle:

Our Easter egg hunts were always indoors and sans clues, unless it looked like there would be chocolate left mouldering in a hidden cranny for years.

And I have a feeling we still may have missed some of the little ones for a few years!

me: "Hey, I found one!"
mum: "Strange, I don't remember hiding one there........ this year."

I'm trying to remember some of my early Christmases... the best I can do is remembering dad doing his annual battle with the christmas lights for the tree. Every year, he'd go to plug them in and they wouldn't work... which meant one of the little blubs had blown, which made the whole thing not work. So he would have to go through and test every single light bulb individually to see which one needed replacing, and it was invariably one at the opposite end of the string from where he started.

I remember THAT, but not the actual Christmas itself! :lol:

:lol: I don't remember anything like that from early childhood, but the Christmas tree Mum and I had when we first moved to Australia was TERRIBLE. Well, actually, it was a good tree; it was just fitting its base together and then getting the tree into the base always proved to be a fucking mission. It drove my mother insane. She rarely swears, but putting up that tree always got a procession of "fuck" and "shit" and "OH BLOODY HELL!" out of her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom