Official Travelling Thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lauren430 said:
Americans in general get much less vacation than other nationalities and the philosophy is work work work.
YES. god this pisses me off. i got no vacation last year, one week this year. next year i'll get two weeks. after seven years i'll get three weeks. then after 12 or 15 years i'll get four weeks. after 25 years i'll get five weeks.

i thought this was ludicrous but as i've talked to other people it's a lot more in tune with other companies' policies than i thought. and we're the only company i know of where we have to come in the day after thanksgiving (aside from retail jobs that is).

yes, everyone I meet in other countries says this:

"Americans live to work while the rest of the countries work to live"

I want us to be more like them :wink:

Great point KhanadaRhodes & Rhonda!!

How could I have forgotten about our severely limited vacation time?? :der:

And there are mannny people who think they shouldn't take vacation time- I can't believe those who don't use what they have each year. I suck the hell out of mine, using flex time every opportunity, thank God we have that.

Basically I get 3 weeks vacation. My 5th year (next year!) I will get 4 weeks. Then I think it's until your 20th that you get 5 weeks!! :banghead: (I don't plan on being in this field that long, for many reasons.) We don't get all the little holidays off every year, either, like Presidents Day or Veterans Day.

Last edited:
I'm also American and am trying to get a lot of travelling in before I join the workaholic force. So far I've been to:

US states:
Virginia
Massachusetts
Vermont
New Hampshire
Maine
Pennsylvania
North Carolina
New Jersey
South Carolina
Georgia
Floria
Louisiana
Colorado
Minnesota
Michigan
Ohio
Illinois
Oregon
Washington
Alaska

Other Countries:
England (just London)
Italy (Friuli, Venice & Trieste)
France
Monaco
Slovenia
Finland (only Helsinki)
Russia ( St. Petersburg)
Germany ( as a baby- don't remember anything)
Canada
and am currently planning a trip to Ireland and Portugal!!!

Last edited:
I get 25 days holiday, with the option to take another week unpaid leave. I also get roughly 8 public holidays. In European terms, 5 weeks is average, in some Nordic countries, they get 42 days!

I think the general consensus in Europe is that everyone wants to travel. You can get to Paris from London by train, flying to Italy is only a couple of hours away, as is Budapest etc. Europe is roughly the same size as the US, if not a little smaller however in the space of an hour, you can go to Portugal or Spain or France or Italy or Sweden or Ireland or Denmark etc. So you have a huge amount of different cultures on your door step. Once you experience this growing up, you want to expand so maybe travel is just part of growing up in Europe. Also, I guess its strange to hear someone NOT having a passport in Europe.

oliveu2cm said:
And there are mannny people who think they shouldn't take vacation time- I can't believe those who don't use what they have each year. I suck the hell out of mine, using flex time every opportunity, thank God we have that.
yeah, my mom gets like a month every year. she never takes it because, well, there's no one there to do her job if she's not there. and with her job, the stuff just can't not be done if she's not there. she does invitations for dinners and events for a non-profit company, and every week there's dinners somewhere in the country. the invitations just can't not be sent every week. and since this stuff is so time sensitive, it can't wait until she gets back. plus, she doesn't have the money to go anywhere so she'd just be at home. and if she's home, then she'll be cleaning and stuff. that's not worth it, she said.

there's a website, i want my vacation that talks about those of us who are overworked and end up cancelling or just not using our vacation time. i think america is headed for one huge anxiety attack or meltdown due to the fact that so many of us just aren't taking vacations.

Thought I would try to resurrect this thread :)

Since a year ago, I've left the UK and moved to Canada with work - going to stay for around 3 years and then move back to Europe.

Was in Australia for a month last April and the US in November. Now I need to explore Canada :yes:

Anyone else been somewhere interesting lately?

party boy, you rock for bumping up this thread.

i'm leaving for nyc in less than 2 weeks, guys.

tell me where to go.

i'm sure some of you are just dieing to. :sexywink:

nice bump :up:

i traveled through Europe for the 2nd time last Autumn, Ireland, Italy, France, Spain, Portugal & England.

i'm also planning on moving back to England...and once i'm living there, doing plenty more exploring throughout Europe.

I'm currently planning to Head to either Dublin, or London around September this year.

Last Year I made the treck to the US from Australai to,LA, San Diego and Anaheim (for U2 shows)

lmjhitman said:
party boy, you rock for bumping up this thread.

i'm leaving for nyc in less than 2 weeks, guys.

tell me where to go.

i'm sure some of you are just dieing to. :sexywink:

I would love to tell you where to go in NYC... except... I've only been there twice and both times the trips were rather short, so I just did the standard tourist stuff.

There has to be some NYC folk here who can give you useful advice!

Tho, stayedin Manhatten - great area to stay - and Chinatown.. yum.. chicken feet to die for.

the rockin edge said:
nice bump :up:

i traveled through Europe for the 2nd time last Autumn, Ireland, Italy, France, Spain, Portugal & England.

i'm also planning on moving back to England...and once i'm living there, doing plenty more exploring throughout Europe.

Your from England originally? I just moved to Canada after 7 years in London (Irish originally). Want to move back to Europe in maybe 3 years and live somewhere in South Europe.

Party Boy said:

Your from England originally? I just moved to Canada after 7 years in London (Irish originally). Want to move back to Europe in maybe 3 years and live somewhere in South Europe.

yeah, i moved the the US when i was 11.

i like London, a couple of my cousins live there :up: how's Canada so far?

the rockin edge said:

yeah, i moved the the US when i was 11.

i like London, a couple of my cousins live there :up: how's Canada so far?

Going good so far - only been here since early Jan. Weather has been much better than i thought - when its been really cold, the skies have been clear and sunny. Thats pretty cool and definitely beats the grey clouds of UK.

Just got to get out and see some more of the country - so far so good though

TheQuiet1 said:
Out of interest Tre, did you live in London when you lived in the UK?

no, about 60 miles North, in Bedford.

Party Boy said:

Going good so far - only been here since early Jan. Weather has been much better than i thought - when its been really cold, the skies have been clear and sunny. Thats pretty cool and definitely beats the grey clouds of UK.

Just got to get out and see some more of the country - so far so good though

cool :up:

:hmm: I wonder what would happen about things like your NHS number and National Insurance number if you ever moved back to the UK. I mean being born here you'd have them but living abroad for so long would you have to reapply? (Yes, I do think about random things like this all the time. I spent a lot of yesterday wondering about the Lancashire cotton famine of 1861-1865. I kid you not. Yes, I also think I am totally crazy, but I prefer the term 'engagingly eccentric' :D )

TheQuiet1 said:
:hmm: I wonder what would happen about things like your NHS number and National Insurance number if you ever moved back to the UK. I mean being born here you'd have them but living abroad for so long would you have to reapply? (Yes, I do think about random things like this all the time. I spent a lot of yesterday wondering about the Lancashire cotton famine of 1861-1865. I kid you not. Yes, I also think I am totally crazy, but I prefer the term 'engagingly eccentric' :D )

i am not sure, i haven't fully researched all that yet.

but i will do before i move back:wink:

although i don't think i had a National Insurance number when we left, could be wrong though.

travel:drool: :drool: :drool:

I'm originally from NH, now live in Vermont

been too :hmm: every state but 6

never been too Europe, but thats not far off:drool:

Been to Mexico, Canada, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands

I am from the United States, and have been to Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales, Italy, France and Switzerland. I'm planning to visit Turkey in May. I'm so excited. I can't wait!

Great thread! :up: I LOVE to talk about travel. :drool: I don't have a ton of time right now to post about this, but I'll give a quick overview.

I'm a dual citizen of Canada & the States, currently living in Vancouver, BC.

Places I've lived (other than the Vancouver area):
Seattle, WA
St. Paul, MN
Belfast, Northern Ireland

Canadian provinces visited:
British Columbia
Alberta
It's very sad that I've done so little travel in my home country!

US states I've visited:
Washington
Oregon
California
Idaho
Minnesota
Illinois
Hawaii

Countries visited:
England (London, Andover, Winchester, Salisbury, Portsmouth, etc.)

Ireland (many cities, but spent the most time in Dublin and Belfast. I lived in Belfast, so we were always taking day trips.)

Holland (Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Scheveningen, Gouda, Bershenhoek)

Belgium (Antwerp, Brussels)

France (Paris)

Germany (Frankfurt)

Russia (St. Petersburg)

There are so many more places I want to visit: Italy, Spain, Greece, Switzerland, Japan, Thailand, Australia, New Zealand, and the list is endless!!

Last edited:
Ok let's See.

-Texas
-Washington DC
NY
Arizona
-New Mexico
-Hawaii
-Colorado
-Oregon
-Mexico
-El Salvador
-Guatemala (my moms family is from Guatemala, and I love that country so much!!)
-Ireland: I want to move there when I am older and live the rest of my days there. Beautiful country.
-Canada
-Germany
-Italy

I plan on visitin Australia next year! hopefully

Last edited:
Party Boy said:

Tho, stayedin Manhatten - great area to stay - and Chinatown.. yum.. chicken feet to die for.

Manhattan's "Chinatown" is rather shitty actually. If you want good and cheap Chinese food, go to Flushing instead. No Chinese person I work with preferred Manhattan's Chinese food over it.

I'm going to France, Italy and Spain in June and July.

Has anyone been to Cinque Terre or the Amalfi coast (specifically Positano)?

Back
Top Bottom