Official Travelling Thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Born and raised in Vancouver Canada! :D Haven't travelled as much as I would like.

I've been to the Seattle, Disneyland, Hawaii and parts of Europe. I absolutely LOVE Paris and hope to go there again sometime soon! Definately aiming to backpack Europe when I'm 20-ish! :D

Oh God I'm totally in love with Rome!! The Trevi Fountain!!!:love:

I might be going to China this year! So I've got my fingers crossed!!

Wow this thread has gotten me really excited!!:hyper:

I'm trying to think of some of the places I've been.

Interestingly I live in Canada, but I've only travelled through Ontario and Quebec (and I preferred Quebec City to Montreal a hundred times over).

In the US, states I've been to: New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, Maryland, DC, North Carolina, South Carolina. I think that's it, but I'm planning on going to California, Arizona and Nevada this spring/summer.

Mexico - I've been to the Yucatan peninsula. Beautiful. Really lovely archeology if you're interested in Mayan life, and even if you're not, it's fascinating to see some of the old cities that remain.

Cuba - A trip back to the 1950s. I'm really glad I got to spend some time in Havana before Castro dies, because as soon as Communism is gone there, you'll see a totally different country and I feel like I got to see it in a vacuum.

Jamaica - Beautiful beaches, lovely people, good food. Absolutely amazing interior - the mountains are stunning.

In Europe, I've been to a ton of places, so I won't mention them all, just my favourites, the must-sees.

London. Just off the shore of Europe, but somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic in many ways.

Oxford. Go see it!

Prague, Czech Republic. If you go, get a picture at dusk on the Karluv Most (Charles Bridge). You won't find a more perfect setting.

Lausanne, Switzerland. I just liked it more than Zurich, but in Switzerland, the countryside is much nicer than the cities, IMO.

Budapest, Hungary. A-MAZING. Love the old Hilton there. Walking along the Danube, nothing like it. One of the true gems of Eastern Europe.

Dubrovnik, Croatia. Nicest coastal city in Europe, IMO, and nicest Eastern European city in general. A more beautiful setting you will not find - atop sharp cliffs jutting out into the Adriatic gulf of the Mediterranean. Perfect climate, awesome summer festivals.

Vienna. Because I rode my first Pony there.

Venice. Because my family used to own most of it. And because it's sooooo pretty.

Party Boy said:
Luckily being based in London, we can get relatively cheap flights to anywhere in Europe
ahh shut up :mad:

where i live, it's impossibly expensive to fly. i live in memphis, and northwest airlines has got such a monopoly on the airport here that it is so much more to fly out of here. for $100 less, i could drive a few hours to little rock or nashville, but then you have to wonder if you're spending $100 on gas to drive there! (plus parking...when i fly i usually just have someone drop me off.)

so i've never been outside the country. but i've taken many a road trip, mainly up and down the east coast of the states. here's the states i've been to:

florida, georgia, south carolina, north carolina, virginia, west virginia, maryland, delaware, connecticut, massachusetts, pennsylvania, arkansas (i live literally half a mile from the mississippi river so i live just minutes from here), tennessee (obviously), mississippi, missouri, washington d.c., and alabama.

in four weeks i can add kentucky to that list as i am going to louisville! :dance:

oh, i should note i have actually stayed in most of those states. i've only driven through delaware (although i did stop to shop at some outlet stores...no sales tax) and i spent only like five minutes in massachusetts, but the rest i have at least spent one night in. my dad's dad was in the military so he has an even bigger list. he's been to just about every state and lived in hawaii for a while :drool: he's also been to canada and both my parents have been to bermuda.

Last edited:
khanada, i only fly northwest. they're pretty consistant in their prices, and their world perks are pretty good i'd say.

anitram, tell me more about your eastern europe adventures...

Zoomerang96 said:

anitram, tell me more about your eastern europe adventures...

Hmmm...

I've been to Hungary about 3-4 times. I stayed in Pecs in the south and then in Budapest and I also spent a few summers in the little towns by the Balaton Lake (gosh I can't remember if that's what they call it in Hungarian). It was pretty popular with Germans, from what I remember, and they had the best palacsinte (crepes) with ground walnuts in them.

I've also been to Slovakia (Bratislava), the mountains around the south part. It was nice, more quiet and deserted than the Czech Republic and also a lot cheaper for everything - good food, nice little towns. Czech Republic is becoming more of a tourist trap, although I imagine if you venture out to the country it's pretty quaint. I've been there when it was still Czechoslovakia, and it's really funny for me now to see a KFC next to a former red square, LOL.

I love southern East Europe - Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia/Herzegovina and Montenegro. I've not been to Sarajevo since before the war, but the old part (Bascarsija) is AMAZING. It's like stepping into Istanbul. And they have the best food there - the Turkish influences are great. Montenegro is this tucked away little place with an absolutely stunning coastline and relaxed atmosphere. All of the Croatian coast is amazing - puts Italy to shame. Dubrovnik is beyond words. Some of the islands like Korcula (where Marco Polo was born) are stunning and I liked Hvar a lot, it's the island of lavender so you just see purple hills stretching out. Slovenia is really nice too, I liked Bled a lot and the Alps are pretty.

Been to -

US (several times and would go back to New York every year if I could)
Mexico
UK (twice)
France
Germany
Italy
Switzerland
Thailand
Indonesia
New Zealand
Fiji.

Would love to go to -

Japan
Canada
Cuba
Various South America
Various Eastern Europe
Russia
China
Vietnam
Cambodia
Laos

Would love to return to -

US, the 'middle', have only done east and west coasts.
Northern Italy.
Thailand.

Zoomerang96 said:
ipoland (2003) (warsaw, krakow, auschwitz, treblinka, and several other towns and cities where i lived for a while)

I've often thought about going to places like auschwitz, treblinka and krakow. Have put it off till now as emotionally, not sure I am ready. Would love to hear about your experiences there - I'd imagine its quite an eerie place to visit?

When I was 22, I lived in the US for a year - the job I had was relocating cars around the US. I lived in Chicago but spent most of that year travelling around. We used to get paid 17 cents a mile. Doesnt sound much but in a country the size of the US, you can earn quite a bit.

Anyways, definitive list of countries I've been to (am from Ireland originally - a wandering nation).

UK
France
Spain
Switzerland
Netherlands
Sweden
Norway
Germany
Hungary

Kenya
Tanzania
Zambia
Malawi
Zimbabwe
Botswana
Namibia
South Africa

US
French Polynesia (Tahiti)
Cook Islands
Fiji
New Zealand
Australia
Indonesia
Thailand
Viet Nam
Laos

Trinidad & Tobago
Antigua

Thats it! Going back to Australia in April for 3 weeks to see one of my sisters and some friends who live out there.

Next stops, really want to see Cuba (have heard lots of good things) and Central America - Mexico, El Salvador, Nicaragua etc.

One of my uncles is a Franciscan Monk and spent decades in Nicaragua/El Salvador during civil wars of 1970's - he was actually placed under house arrest and interrogated for hiding revolutionaries (anti-government forces) in his monastery, so have always wanted to see them. Then South America... just need to find the $$..

Wow this thread is great :up: I love hearing where everyone has been - and some of you have been to some really amazing places!! I absolutely love travelling, too, and am so fortunate that I can do it!

I live in Boston, so I've been to every state in New England (ooh the beaches), NY several times, NJ, PA, all the way down to Maryland and then Florida. Out West I've only been to Vegas. I'd love to see the Grand Canyon and I have a trip planned (in my dreams) for California..a trip down Highway One.

Since Canada is only 8 hours or so away I've been to Montreal 3 times and Quebec once. I want to hit up Toronto, maybe on the Vertigo tour.

Other international travel I've done:
Bahamas
Ireland
England x 6
Scotland (Edinburgh)
Northern Italy (Milan & the Lake District :drool: )

Since I've had so much exposure to England I've been all over the country, from Bath, London, Cambridge, through the Yorkshire Dales, Lake District and over to Newcastle. I lovved Bath, the Roman influence, I love history and it gives me goosebumps to witness it.

I think my favorite place I've ever been abroad was Stresa, Italy. :heart: It was so peaceful and beautiful, the Alps were so so stunning- things I never thought I'd see, and am so grateful at experiencing. I could honestly live there.

I want to visit everywhere. Germany; Spain; France; now reading everyone's posts, the Netherlands; Vietnam; Australia; Buenas Aires; do the rest of Italy, go to Sicily where my grandfather was born... I could go on and on.

Last edited:
Party Boy said:

One of my uncles is a Franciscan Monk and spent decades in Nicaragua/El Salvador during civil wars of 1970's - he was actually placed under house arrest and interrogated for hiding revolutionaries (anti-government forces) in his monastery, so have always wanted to see them.

Fascinating. I've recently done a lot of research on the poet Carolyn Forche, who took her fellowship money for writing poetry to travel to El Salvador. "The Captain" is such a chilling, amazing poem. I can't even imagine what it was like to experience that. Your uncle must have some scary, fascinating stories.

oliveu2cm said:

Fascinating. I've recently done a lot of research on the poet Carolyn Forche, who took her fellowship money for writing poetry to travel to El Salvador. "The Captain" is such a chilling, amazing poem. I can't even imagine what it was like to experience that. Your uncle must have some scary, fascinating stories.

Its very interesting - he has touched on some horrific things that happened. My uncle is very political Catholic missionary - has taken an oath of poverty etc so cannot own any possesions, save money etc.

Anyways, esp in El Salvador, he was arrested a few times, hid a lot of the revolutionary leaders and was actively involved in the political side of things - outspoken views etc of government policies etc. By general admission, he is lucky to be still alive. Would love for him to write his memoirs - I can imagine they would make great reading

I'm originally from Montreal, been to the UK several times because of relatives there, also went down to Tennessee each summer to visit relatives there, whew hot stuff.

Moved to Southeastern PA 5 years ago, now I'm back in Canada again.

Traveling-wise, I've been to the following countries:

Canada (duh)
United States
United Kingdom
France
Germany (for 2 hours)
Italy

and today it's official.

i booked my flight for poland. going for three weeks. will also go to lithuania for the first time. :up:

i don't have money, but i'm making it happen.

it just depends how bad you want to go.

I'd love to have more time off to travel. It totally rejuvenates you to get away to a new place.

I'm 20, American, got on a place for the first time this year and went to Tanzania for a month. Summer on the equator :drool:

It was a great experience, but now I've got to pay it off.... :banghead:

If you ever get the chance to go on a safari, DO IT!!!

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I'm 20, American, got on a place for the first time this year and went to Tanzania for a month. Summer on the equator :drool:

It was a great experience, but now I've got to pay it off.... :banghead:

If you ever get the chance to go on a safari, DO IT!!!

I spent Christmas in Zanzibar back in 2001 - did you make it there? Very interesting place, esp. as slavery etc started there originally. Some pretty cool beaches.. and cocktails!!

Just came back from a really short trip to Dublin... Was there for just 36 hours, but that's okay, because I'm moving there in 1,5 weeks!

Party Boy said:
So how come Americans are less prone to travel? Is it purely a cost issue?

I think so. Personally, the only reason I made it to Scotland and Italy was because I was in England with my boyfriend, and travel to the other countries were dirt cheap. Going to Italy from here would be a huge financial undertaking. And 4 of my 6 trips to England were to visit my boyfriend. I suppose if he hadn't lived in England I would have gone to Italy on my own once, but I might not have been able to justify the $ had it not been for seeing him.

Plus the US is so big, there is a lot to see here! I don't think you can experience as many different cultures as when you leave the states, but you do get to see some gorgeous sites within the states, at a much more affordable rate.

And- I've done all my travelling post-college, post-college-debt. Maybe the people here are more younger and can't financially support themselves and a lot of travels? On the other hand my parents are in their 50s and neither have been out of the country, but not for lack of desire (teachers aren't paid enough!).

Party Boy said:
So how come Americans are less prone to travel? Is it purely a cost issue?
yeah. and another reason - at least for me - is health insurance. i'm too old to be on my parents' health insurance, so i need to work full time to get it. and since i only get a weeks' vacation pay, i can't just take a couple months off and go travel the world. maybe i'm just partially an old fart, but i couldn't not have insurance again. especially with what happened to me now, i can't imagine what i would've done if i hadn't had any health insurance.

that's yet another reason i want to move to europe (or anywhere else really): you don't have to work your ass off in some demeaning job just so you don't have to pay out your ass if you get sick (or worse, because a lot of doctors are now refusing people without insurance for liability reasons).

am i the only american who sees this as a constraint? i'm curious.

Americans in general get much less vacation than other nationalities and the philosophy is work work work.

Even last summer everyone gave me a hard time for travelling around Europe for two months instead of getting a summer job and I am only 21. :|

I have my whole life to work people. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom