Official Cricket 12/13 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't miss Richie to be honest but Bill is by far my favourite.

We'll be left with Heals (flog), Chappelli (who...is...uh...boring), Slats (flog), Mark Taylor (great) and Mark Nicholas (great) from the old guard. I like Glenn McGrath and Shane Warne a lot. Would be good to try a female I reckon.

I wouldn't miss Richie to be honest but Bill is by far my favourite.

We'll be left with Heals (flog), Chappelli (who...is...uh...boring), Slats (flog), Mark Taylor (great) and Mark Nicholas (great) from the old guard. I like Glenn McGrath and Shane Warne a lot. Would be good to try a female I reckon.

Oh man, I'll miss Richie so fucking much. Easily my favourite commentator of anything ever.

Mark Nicholas, for all the shit he cops, does a good job (of cricket; fuck me he sucked doing the Olympics). Sometimes Taylor annoys me and other days he does a decent job; I don't think Heals is quite as fucking useless and incompetent as Slats - and thinking of those three as part of the "old guard" makes me feel pretty damn old myself. McGrath's got potential; Warnie is horrendous and almost as bad as Slats.

Who commentated back in the nineties? Benaud, Lawry, Greig, Chappell - who am I forgetting? I keep having this feeling that there are so many more commentators going through so many more rotations in each game these days, but I just can't recall how many were on the job in the nineties and who's retired/died/disappeared in recent years.

Oh man, I'll miss Richie so fucking much. Easily my favourite commentator of anything ever.

Mark Nicholas, for all the shit he cops, does a good job (of cricket; fuck me he sucked doing the Olympics). Sometimes Taylor annoys me and other days he does a decent job; I don't think Heals is quite as fucking useless and incompetent as Slats - and thinking of those three as part of the "old guard" makes me feel pretty damn old myself. McGrath's got potential; Warnie is horrendous and almost as bad as Slats.

Who commentated back in the nineties? Benaud, Lawry, Greig, Chappell - who am I forgetting? I keep having this feeling that there are so many more commentators going through so many more rotations in each game these days, but I just can't recall how many were on the job in the nineties and who's retired/died/disappeared in recent years.

I'll always miss the old Richie. But the one of the past few years? Nah.

Warne's commentary is very good in my opinion - knows the game so well.

Ugh, no, Warne is perhaps the most partisan of all the commentators, and if it's not spin (on which he's genuinely insightful), his contributions are staggeringly inane.

Pension him off to some Cricket Show spin special comments section or something, if he's a permanent member of the Channel Nine Retirement Home for Old Cricketers.

Just heard the news. :sad: Absolutely out of nowhere.

He was just about my favourite cricket commentator with Bill Lawry.

Up there in the afterlife Griegy is talking under his breath about people looking to buy the next "framed piece of crap" courtesy of Channel Nine WWOS shop :wink:

74F5FB94F260B7B7D2B2DCA2D3466751.jpg

Case in point : He Himself Played cricket for 20 years in the hot blazing sun, copped a knock in the helmet and box every now and then. and all there is to show for it was a framed piece of crap? :hyper:

If Shane Watson falls under a bus, do we get Tony Greig's life and Hussey's career back?

Cant help but think, how back in the good old days: they used to play International cricket on new years day in Australia

However professional cricket players are obviously too precious nowadays to play on new years day and they dont even play until the 3rd. Which is 2 days of boredom and nothingness

They never played on New Years Day? Here's one from the archives->

Michael Bevan last ball four - SCG 1995/96 - YouTube

^ This happened on January 1st 1996 in the City of Sydney out of all places, If its good enough for the year 1996, it surely should be good enough for the year 2013

Also: 1996? That's 17 years ago! Blink and suddenly its ancient history!

The boxing day test being 'a tradition' is an imperial myth

Along with a lot of other things

Proof the "Michael Bevan" game, was an ODI that was played on NEW YEAR'S DAY in 1996!

Given the Boxing Day Test as we know it began in 1980, I had no idea that Greg Chappell was a leading imperialist.

Make that 7/31. Philander's taken 5 wickets in 6 six overs and conceded just 7 runs.

Fucking fuck off.

I've been waiting for the day some other team scores 25 or worse, so that New Zealand no longer has the indignity of having the lowest Test innings ever (26 vs England in 1955).

However, rate we're going, we will beat our own record in the second innings of this Test!

Back
Top Bottom