Official Cricket 12/13 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wish Benaud was commentating rather than this Australia cheer squad, given Benaud's emphasis on how there is no "us" or "we" in commentary. Cricket commentary here used to be pretty good, but it's lately been declining towards the same narrow parochial mess of rugby commentary.

Yep - there will be some pointing fingers at Aussie bowlers / Clarke's management of bowlers, but fair is fair. On great pitches with a bowler down it was always going to be a big ask

Yeah, and I don't think there was much more Clarke could have done to be honest - he's bowled his best two besides him (Siddle and Lyon) into the ground - outside of throwing it to Warner when Clarke was looking dangerous in the morning session or maybe giving Hussey a trundle. Patto was a huge loss.

Wish Benaud was commentating rather than this Australia cheer squad, given Benaud's emphasis on how there is no "us" or "we" in commentary. Cricket commentary here used to be pretty good, but it's lately been declining towards the same narrow parochial mess of rugby commentary.

Richie doesn't do much for me any more, knowledge aside. I don't think the commentary is too bad, though Slats, Heals (fuckwit) and Taylor have been a bit parochial. But it hasn't bothered me in the slightest.

Jesus christ what a ball from Siddle.

Agree with this.

Woah, Siddle! What a delivery.

(Slats' parochial commentary couldn't even ruin that.)

These last 10-15 minutes are going to be so, so tense.

Nah I'm not much of a Siddle fan either, but the character and determination he's shown over the last hour has been quite something. Credit where credit's due.

What is not to like about him?! He might have a tiny bit of bogan in him but many Aussies do... I do...

Nah, nothing to do with his personality, I just find him to not be that great a bowler ... obviously he's living in the shadow of some killer Aussie pacemen, but he's just not on their level. Competent, capable, determined, but not dazzlingly brilliant. Vanilla, really.

He is a toiler in the Merv hughes mould. Doesn't do a huge amount with the ball to take his wickets, and if you look at him next to a Dale Steyn you wonder how he is taking them, but Steyn isn't. I've learned not to worry about it with Sids anymore, he will take wickets so you just have to admire his character

I just kind of miss when Australia had pacemen of the calibre of McGrath and Gillespie. Current Aussie bowling line-up is really not that exceptional. Doesn't set my world on fire anyway.

And oh god, here we go, this should be final over.

Don't like him bowling a bouncer. It is a waste of a ball. Got to be on off or just outside on a driving length, give yourself a chance at bowled, LBW, caught at the wicket

Aussie fielders concede four to keep du Plessis off strike! :lol:

Draw! Faf du Plessis, what a fucking outstanding knock! Unbelieveable composure.

Du Plessis better fucking be man of the match, that was phenomenal.

Du Plessis better fucking be man of the match, that was phenomenal.

He was, but he can't be.

Clarke just scored his 4th double ton of the year, and kept Aus in witha chance getting Kallis in the first innings. He also saved Aus second innings with a timely 38.

Faf will be the unluckiest bridesmaid in living memory

Cricinfo says du Plessis is man of the match. And of course he should be ahead of Clarke - sure, Clarke's first innings knock was special, but du Plessis's grit and courage changed the entire course of the game. Man of the match should go to the player with the biggest role in the final outcome, and you've got to say that du Plessis turned it from an Aussie victory into a draw.

Wow what a finish. Congratulations to the South Africans, showing why they're world #1 - I don't think there's any other team in the world who could have done that, save maybe for us (read Clarke/Hussey). Hopefully Faf Du Plessis is remembered for that innings forever - he came in at 4pm yesterday and was not out, making a debut ton in the progress. Unbelievable, outstanding, every adjective you can think of.

Siddle was nearly pulling his beating heart out and bowling it at the end there (got that from fake Luke Darcy's twitter haha). Bowled 33 overs, 63.5 FOR THE MATCH, and bowled the final over when he looked like Dean Jones in Madras.

Didn't at all like the way Lyon was bowling at the death there.

Nah, nothing to do with his personality, I just find him to not be that great a bowler ... obviously he's living in the shadow of some killer Aussie pacemen, but he's just not on their level. Competent, capable, determined, but not dazzlingly brilliant. Vanilla, really.

He is a toiler in the Merv hughes mould. Doesn't do a huge amount with the ball to take his wickets, and if you look at him next to a Dale Steyn you wonder how he is taking them, but Steyn isn't. I've learned not to worry about it with Sids anymore, he will take wickets so you just have to admire his character

Ah okay, that's fair. Still, he has 120 wickets at 29.76 - that's pretty great in this day and age.

But yes, he doesn't do a great deal with it. He is a toiler. But to me, I just love his character and determination, and I always feel like a wicket is not too far away with him. He's also a partnership breaker.

Back
Top Bottom