Official Cricket 11/12 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So the Zimbabweans bowled well ... shame their batting just couldn't withstand the Australian pacemen.

Looking at this result, it seems to me that Zimbabwean cricket may not necessarily be dead just yet. The New Zealand vs Zimbabwe game will perhaps be very telling, both about whether Zimbabwe have still got any semblance of "it", and how far the Kiwi team has or hasn't fallen.

I didn't watch any of the England vs Australia ODI's (probably a good thing) and haven't followed any of the build up to this World Cup. Gonna get up tomorrow for the England vs Netherlands game but i've still got very little enthusiasm for this tournament.

Personally I think this is probably because I think the 50 over game doesn't really have a future and I don't particularly enjoy it. 20/20 is a far more enjoyable form of 1 day cricket. Also the last World Cup was farcical.

I know I probably sound like a miserable sod but is anyone else here genuinely excited about this tournament?

I wouldn't say I'm genuinely excited, but I'll keep tabs on it, for sure.

The 07 tournament for me is easily the worst sporting tournament I've ever followed.

I'm genuinely excited. Still think ODIs are the best form of cricket. Been hanging out for a decent world cup ever since 2007's one finished!

I think for me the idea of a cricket world cup is a bit of an anomaly, a bit unnatural if you will. As a test cricket purist maybe this was always going to be the case. A 'world cup' should be the pinnacle of any sport worth its salt and yet winning the Ashes is of far greater importance than this world cup (at least in England it is anyway).

I mean, I'm a much bigger cricket fan than rugby union but I can't wait for the rugby world cup this september. It's genuinely exciting and is an institution now (which is odd since it only started in 1987), a massive date in the sporting calendar. I didn't even know the cricket world cup had started until I caught the end credits of the Aus v Zimbabwe match today.

Will try and get into the spirit of things tomorrow :up:

I agree, though I think it had more presence the further you go back. The 20/20 world cup is a joke and as a test cricket purist as well if that becomes the pinnacle of the sport... may god help us all.

Anyone else find it odd that baseball has the "world series" but it only includes American teams?

Baseball is an absolute joke of a sport. I've tried watching it. Utter utter dross. I think they claim it's called that cos it was sponsored by 'the world' newspaper but it all sounds a bit fishy to me. Using the word 'world' when describing it's biggest tournament when no other fucker plays it is ridiculous :lol:

Netherlands are putting up a good effort here, England are going to have to bat well to win this.

Well how about those Dutch! Poms were lucky there.

Clearly the minnows aren't as rubbish as some people (looking at you, Punter) were so quickly claiming after the Kenyan and Canadian floggings.

Englands bowling was just really poor today and had a rare off day in the field. Can't imagine they'll bowl and field as bad as that against India.

Also it would be somewhat hypocritical of me to be frustrated that Hollands best batsman is actually South African :lol:

shame they lost... from all i heard England resembled a fourth-grade park side in the field though.apparently Ponting broke a TV after he got run out

I don't know why this World Cup is so damn long. Didn't they take note of all the complaints in 2007? Just one game a day is ridiculous.

West Indies looking more and more like a minnow every day.

Baseball is an absolute joke of a sport. I've tried watching it. Utter utter dross. I think they claim it's called that cos it was sponsored by 'the world' newspaper but it all sounds a bit fishy to me. Using the word 'world' when describing it's biggest tournament when no other fucker plays it is ridiculous

:up: i don't hate it like you do, but i will say i went to a game when i was in America, San Fran vs Boston, two of the bigger teams, and it was pretty fucking ordinary. nothing happened between the fourth and eight inning.

Big game today - Australia vs New Zealand, their only meeting for the season.

And somehow Martin Guptill has managed to score NOTHING off his first seventeen balls.

Does Jesse Ryder think a quarter-century is an amazing milestone or something?

:sigh:

I don't know how I feel that the Dutch scored almost 100 more in their last game than we have.

Glad I'm going out tonight, or else I know my morbid curiosity would compel me to watch every ball of the Australian innings, desperately hoping Southee takes 6 wickets in a single over or something else outright implausible.

I can't help but laugh at Hamish Bennett's bowling action. Probably because it reminds me so much of Andre Nel.

Ponying was just one hundred million per cent plumb but the Kiwis didn't refer it. Hitting halfway up middle. Further proof the UDRS should be taken away from the players.

Ponying was just one hundred million per cent plumb but the Kiwis didn't refer it. Hitting halfway up middle. Further proof the UDRS should be taken away from the players.

I thought we'd blown our referrals whilst batting? One was totally wasted by How.

(Or am I under a mistaken belief that you only get 2 failed appeals all game in ODIs, and it's actually 2 failed appeals per innings?)

Anyway, pick of last night's games was CLEARLY Bangladesh vs Ireland, not Australia vs Black Craps. At least it was a contest! So much respect for the Irish - they've got heaps of potential to develop, and I hope in about ten years, they have a decent ODI squad that can be competitive against some of the weaker Test nations (I don't want to say New Zealand, since I live in hope that we'll have rebuilt by then).

How'd the Bangladesh v. Ireland game go, Ax? I definitely wouldn't mind Ireland growing to be a very competitive outfit, so admittedly I do have some sort of interest in them.

How'd the Bangladesh v. Ireland game go, Ax? I definitely wouldn't mind Ireland growing to be a very competitive outfit, so admittedly I do have some sort of interest in them.

I couldn't watch it, but the Irish bowled out Bangladesh and then lost by only 27 runs. Pretty good effort I reckon.

Wonder if they can pull off a big upset later in the tournament. Ed Joyce is back playing for them now, so that helps their cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom