Official Cricket 09/10 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't fathom how either of you can think that bogan Warne is worth listening to on any topic. He's a complete fool.

Benaud is and always will be the voice of cricket. Him and Chappell are the only two who are decent at the moment. Oh and I suppose I've nothing against Mark Nicholas.

People like Mark Taylor, Michael Slater, and Co. need to figure out it's time for them to just fade away from the game.

glad to see the hate of Ian Bell is universal madforit!

I'll pay this (and yes, Hauritz in particular was great), BUT if Akmal had held those catches, it would've been irrelevant since Pakistan would've had the easiest of totals to chase. The Australians only got the chance to play out of their skins due to wicketkeeping worse than schoolboy level. How he dropped such regulation catches, I'll never know.

yep. totally agree. i didn't see the dropped catches myself, but it lost them the game. Yousuf's captaincy was pretty bad as well.

Now, on to the commentators.

Richie - still glad to see him there, as he does have some good insights and stories and whatnot, but i wouldn't be devastated to see him moved on.

Bill - for me it will be a very sad day when the pidgeon lover leaves the comm box. shows tremendous enthusiasm, can be humourous and adds a lot to the coverage.

Tony - still good value, even if everyone else hates him. very knowledgable about the game and his insights are good enough to allow for some of his stupidity.

Chappelli - he's often very very negative, but again has some smart insights.

Slats - shits me up the wall.

Heals - see Slats, just slightly less so as his voice is less annoying.

Tubbs - fantastic commentator and i hope he stays on. very switched on.

Mark Nicholas - great host and all-round personality, a great fit.

Shane Warne - i absolutely love him as a commentator. i think he is brilliant. if you get past your preconceptions about him, he is very tuned into the game of cricket and i hope he stays on for a long time.

774 ABC radio's commentary is usually a pretty good substitute.

"Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way"

I think Roger Waters probably wrote that line with the English cricket team in mind.

Need to bat all day now. If collingwood goes we're finished. Him and Trott are the only ones with the mental strength to see this out.

Nah, nothing to do with preconceptions. Warne's just a fucking bogan, always has been, he talks a load of biased crap, and can't commentate to save himself. Don't know what you see in him. Every second comment he makes just confirms for me that there's nothing between his ears. If there's a spinner bowling, he's occasionally got something to say that's worth hearing, but that's it.

Plus he has the most irritating voice of the entire commentary team. If I wanted to hear people talk like that, I'd hop on a train to Frankston.

wow what an ending to the SA-Eng test. i honestly didn't think onions would survive that final over from morkel. fascinating last day.

has this test been redemption for ian bell? he showed more balls and guts today than any match over the last 3 years. he needs to do this far more consistently though.

this match and Aus-Pak have both been really absorbing (albeit strewn with errors). Test cricket ain't dead folks.

bell did well in the end, he must have seen me slagging him off on interference!
another draw will do us fine in the last test

has anyone noticed the 3453535464535465th ODI series India are playing since christmas?

How does Slats shit anyone. He is the best they've got. He knows the game backwards, and he is insightful. Bill and Tony are terrible. Bill has lost it, Tony never had it. Chappelli is ordinary. Benaud is classic and always will be.

Bollinger is great.

hold010607_1699t.jpg

I think we can all agree that this man has the best voice in cricket. And he holds some extremely salient viewpoints as well :up:

Not really heard him that much, got sky at my house so never really listen to TMS.

Atherton is always good to listen to and his columns in the times are pretty decent too.

For entertainment value you can't beat david lloyd. also quite like it when botham and warne share the commentary box as both are opinionated and make for good debate although if not always accurate.

Not really heard him that much, got sky at my house so never really listen to TMS.

Atherton is always good to listen to and his columns in the times are pretty decent too.

For entertainment value you can't beat david lloyd. also quite like it when botham and warne share the commentary box as both are opinionated and make for good debate although if not always accurate.

The poms are actually just as bad as most of the abysmal aussie commentators with bias... David Lloyd is probably the worst in the world.

Mr N Hussein is the best commentator in the English lineup. Always spot on, has a great voice, very calm, very impartial. Boycott has the most annoying voice apart from Lloyds in the world

we got Sky's feed during the Ashes, and the only interesting times for mine were when as 1step said when Beefy and Warnie were commentating together, though Lloyd has got a cool accent.

you're all forgetting perhaps the most irrepressibly boring man involved in cricket commentary, Bob Willis! lifeless!

Well shit, whatever happened to that 100s hoodoo. Won't be shocked if either or both Ponting and Clarke get double centuries today.

Aamer must hate himself for putting Ponting down yesterday.

So, Punter brings up his 200, just after Clarke gets bowled on 166. Couldn't believe how easily Kaneria got Clarke; Clarke barely even seemed to register the delivery. Great stroke by Ponting to bring up his double tonne. Apparently the first 200 at Bellerive too.

Hey Salman Butt?

Don't think you just did yourself any favours running out your captain.

Idiot.

Sorry to keep spamming the thread, but holy shit, Salman Butt just went and ran out Umar Akmal. Unbelieveable. Within one half hour he's run out Pakistan's two most valuable batsmen through sluggish running and dithering.

I would NOT want to be him when he has to leave the field and face the rest of the team!

Lets be honest, do Pakistan even seem interested now the series is lost?

Before the game, I'd have suggested they want to restore some pride after they should've won in Sydney.

Now? Christ, this is just embarrassing.

But honestly, this has been a completely disappointing summer of cricket so far. Neither the Windies nor Pakistan are on Australia's level, and the fact both of them have at times really taken the fight to Australia suggests to me that if Australia had played higher quality opposition, they'd be reeling after a series loss.

I'm honestly living in a bit of nostalgia about how good last summer's series against South Africa was.

Really? I suppose if you like watching Australia dominate disappointing opposition ... :shrug:

I mean, most Test results have been a foregone conclusion.

they've never dominated though, apart from the first test in Brisbane, the third and fourth innings in Sydney and now here in Tassie. otherwise the cricket's been quite competitive. Pakistan should have won in Sydney and the Windies weren't without their chances in Adelaide and Perth.

Well yeah, the Windies and Pakistan both should've won at least one Test, and given how Australia has not set the cricketing world on fire during this summer, I think it's pretty telling that neither of them have. What I'm saying is, less disappointing opposition would've meant a bit more of a contest rather than a 2-0 series win against the Windies and what's 99% likely to be 3-0 against the Pakistanis. More of an overall contest would've been bloody welcome.

Will be interesting to see how the ODIs go.

Back
Top Bottom