Of these few, select R.E.M. beloved slow tunes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which of the following is your fav and why?

• Strange Currencies

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Falls To Climb

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Country Feedback

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Find The River

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Electrolite

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • E-Bow The Letter

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Nightswimming

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Let Me In

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FitzChivalry

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
At the bottom of the ocean, in the deepest sea
I've never made a poll before and I've been listening to a lot of R.E.M. this past weekend, so I figured why the hell not.

I hear these songs talked a lot about . . . in B&C, among critics, among fans. This is by no means an all-inclusive list (as it doesn't even cover several albums), but I was just wondering which among these is your favorite and why.

My vote goes to Nightswimming Why? I can't really say other than it just stirs something in me that only E-Bow The Letter, Falls to Climb and Let Me In come close to doing also. Maybe it's because I can see myself in the "this one laughing quietly, underneath my breath".

I guess the entirety of the lyrics, I can really relate to. And the music is gorgeous. Grand, perhaps a tad melodramatic, but it all fits and works together beautifully.

Nightswimming will always be an R.E.M. highlight for me.

:D

What's yours?

Last edited:
Find The River -- it's always been one of my all-time favorite songs by anybody. Hauntingly beautiful.

Then probably Electrolite -- I think it's a really fun song; Nightswimming; E-Bow The Letter and Country Feedback.

Impossible to vote for just one. :crazy: I'm tempted to vote for Nightswimming, Find The River or Electrolite but then I would be denying the amazing majestic closer Falls To Climb a vote.

I find Falls To Climb far inferior to everything else on the list. It's not BAD, not at all. It's just not THAT good, you know?

I voted for Find the River because it's just beautiful. The lyrics touch me, the melody is beautiful, it's just beautiful.

I love other songs in this poll for different reasons, but Find the River remains my favorite REM song.

And you know, I like Nightswimming less and less these days. It's lovely, yeah, and it evokes a great mood, but it feels so repetitive to me that it becomes a little ... well ... boring.

(Thank you for not including Everybody Hurts on this list. :wink: )

I thought about "Daysleeper", but it seemed a bit too mainstream for the list.

Like I said, it's not an all-inclusive list by any stretch of the imagination. :no:

Damn, now I wish I'd included "Half a World Away"! :mad:

I also thought about "Sad Professor" from Up. That's another of my favorites from that album.

FitzChivalry said:
I love the lyrics to Daysleeper, but the music feels a bit too been-there-done-that for R.E.M. Kind of like Man On The Moon Part 2, or something like that. :shrug:

Anyway, no Daysleeper on my list!

:laugh:

See, I think musically it's good, but the lyrics are odd!

I'll assume you just mean "REM by numbers," because Daysleeper sounds absolutely nothing like Man On the Moon! :no:

Those are 8 god damn perfect songs on that list there, and if I were sane it would be impossible to pick one out of that bunch.

But I have been known to frequently name Country Feedback as my favorite song of all time, so that gets my vote.

Stipe said somewhere the lyrics built off a hand-written note he saw on someone's apartment door: "Daysleeper." As in, shut up buffoons, I'm sleeping during the day.

I like the lyrics. He works during the night, sleeps in the day, and the lyrics reflect the jumble of images from his job - the work itself and his experiences there, working at night. Flat, fluorescent lights, caffeine, seeing the world through a haze because he doesn't see natural sunlight very often.

Plus, it's got that always-wonderful 3/4 time waltz-feel. Big thumbs up from me.

Zootlesque said:
fluorescent flat caffeine lights
it's furious balancing...

:scratch:

The lyrics are indeed odd. :lol:

Alex, I'll take "Odd Lyrics With Mentions of the Word "Fluorescent" for $1000.

Look up, what do you see?
All of you and all of me
Fluorescent and starry
Some of them, they surprise

:drool: :drool: :drool:

I went with Nightswimming even though I could've picked any of them and been happy with my choice.

Back
Top Bottom