October...and the scariest horror film of all time is?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

atikicat

War Child
It's that time of year when we're inundated with horror films both at the theatre and on tv. So what's the scariest/best one you've ever seen? The one that wouldn't let you sleep at night, or if you did...only with the lights on?

For me the choice is easy...The Exorcist.:macdevil::barf: I saw this at the theatre a long, looooong time ago, and got so scared that I've never been willing or able to watch it again. I know my fear is irrational. If I were to watch it now, it probably wouldn't scare me because I'm older and the make-up/special effects...which were good at the time...would probably seem as dated and cheesy as the rubber shark in Jaws (still a great movie in spite of this). Guess I'm too big a chicken to find out.

hmm...i'm sure its not the scarriest, but one of my favorites is 'the shining'.

ooh yeah the shining

I haven't seen it for years, but Halloween was definitely up there when I was a kid

I know lots of people think it's shit but The Blair Witch Project also disturbed me somewhat

I only saw the Exorcist for the first time a couple of years ago, and I didn't find it scary at all. Disturbing, yes, but not scary. But a lot of my friends think it's truly terrifying

"Poltergeist" gave me nightmares for a very long time. So did "Poltergeist II."

"Nightmare on Elm Street" was pretty scary--he gets you when you sleep!!

"The Sixth Sense" and "Signs" were the most recent ones to keep me up.

tiny dancer said:
For me I would have to say the Exorcist. I won't watch alone. :evil:

Don't feel bad. I got creeped out just hearing The Exorcist theme song playing in the ads for that new Exorcist pre-quel. :reject: In fact, any horror movie involving Satan/demons freaks me out. Monsters, etc. can always be killed...sure they pop back up again while your back is turned...but eventually they die.

Last edited:
I had nightmares with "Poltergeist/II" and "The Shinning". It was hard getting some sleep when I saw "The Sixth Sense", but this is not a terror movie. It just got me thinking... might have been the last one I saw. I'm avoiding this king of movies.

I saw Excorcist for the first time in the theatres when I was still in high school back a few years ago when they rereleased it. I had never ever been so scared from a movie ever! I drove home with my interior lights of my car on the whole way home and then I actually called my mom on my cell phone to come and get me from the driveway.

:reject:

Exorcist-hands down.
I have noooo idea why I watch that movie when it comes on. I freak at the original version.
I was flipping through the channels recently and came across it again. I settled in to watch. It was the "newer" version; the one with regan going down the stairs spider style. Added a new level of :crack: for me.

shari schultz said:
Exorcist-hands down.
I have noooo idea why I watch that movie when it comes on. I freak at the original version.
I was flipping through the channels recently and came across it again. I settled in to watch. It was the "newer" version; the one with regan going down the stairs spider style. Added a new level of :crack: for me.

I own that movie.:evil:

Silence of the Lambs :reject: I know, I know! - not your typical "horror" film, but I was looking over my shoulder for weeks on that one!

amc is showing the 20 scariest movies of all time or something like that :up:

the damien/omen movies have been on today, those are fun to watch too.

shari schultz said:
Exorcist-hands down.

I agree. I saw the Exorcist when I was a kid (a friend of the family decided to rent the tape) and it scared me to death. I wasn't able to have a good sleep for days. My mom told me not to watch it! Every time I heard a noise I jumped. I watched it again about 3 years ago and I'm still scared of it!
I thought it wouldn't be able to scare me anymore (like the old Nightmare On Elm Street, Halloween and Friday the 13th movies) because I'm an adult now. Boy was I wrong! I can only watch it when a group of people are nearby. I cannot watch it alone. The crazy thing is I want to see the remastered edition with the new scenes!

Last edited:
on AMC tonight they are showing all the Amityvilles. :crack: I tried to watch on min of it and I couldn't do it. This movie has always scared the shit out of me.

Poltergist with the scary minister is scary as well.

Blair Witch Project bothered me enough that I canceled a camping trip soon after the movie came out. :der:

poltergeist is another one that scares me.

the first amityville movie is definitely the best.

Hands down, my favorite is Halloween.

As for scariest, The Exorcist and the Blair Witch Project.

Back
Top Bottom