Oasis - Don't Believe The Truth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I listened to it today... good stuff, :up:, although I wouldn't say that it's miles better than Heathen Chemistry, which I like a lot as well. "The Importance of Being Idle" is a fantastic song, very wry and Kinks-ey.

i am not sure about it! to me there is nothing that hits you straight away track 2 i think is just plain awful! track 3/4/11 are the best 3 tracks

andyuk said:
i am not sure about it! to me there is nothing that hits you straight away track 2 i think is just plain awful! track 3/4/11 are the best 3 tracks
2 annoys the hell out of me lol. I can't stand it... but that's the only one I don't like much... but I listen to it anyway.

I guess I'm just not an Oasis fan but I think the album stinks. Nowhere near the sonic marvel of coldplay's new album.

Everyone has their view on things, but for this person to say that "Mucky Fingers" is the best song from the album makes you wonder if she got past that song when listening to it.

'Don't Believe the Truth,' Oasis

Reviewed by Nancy Miller

In recent years, Noel and Liam Gallagher have become better known for their tart tongues than searing guitar licks. Maybe that's why Oasis's sixth album, "Don't Believe the Truth," lacks any real bite. Sure, for 11 songs, these blokes can grind out toe-tapping Britpop, but there are no heart-pounding anthems here. The boot-stompin' ''Mucky Fingers'' is the disc's best song: a catchy, Dylan-fronting-the-Velvet Underground jam. But it ain't no ''Wonderwall.''

EW Grade: B-

I like the Pitchforkmedia review:

Oasis
Don't Believe the Truth
[Epic; 2005]
Rating: 4.7

WE DON'T LIKE OASIS.

-Joe Tangari, May 31, 2005

(Paraphrased slightly.)

I just don't get the appeal of Coldplay. I've only heard one of their older songs occasionally on the radio. Even saw them on SNL, and turned it off. I just don't get it. Nor Dave Matthews Band either, but that's just me. :scratch:

Gonna insert Oasis after 'Pop' is done. I think I recall song 3 :wink: , 5, and 11 as more memorable...

New single details:

http://www.nme.com/news/112836.htm

OASIS have confirmed details of their new single 'THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING IDLE'.

Released on August 22, the song is the second to be lifted from their current album ’Don’t Believe The Truth’.

The single will feature two brand new tracks - Liam’s ‘Pass Me Down The Wine’ and ‘The Quiet Ones’, written by guitarist Gem Archer.

So Pass Me Down the Wine won't be restricted to a US itunes slot, and the other tune is as yet an unknown quantity..should be interesting to hear that..

blueyedpoet said:
such a boring album...i mean, how can this even be the same band that put out Morning Glory?

Totally agree, after 15 plays I just have not gotten into this CD (and how I love the band :hug: ).

Is it too disjointed? :shrug:

Its a great album, but I suppose some need their cookie-cutter anthem-by-numbers type songs..this is an excellent progression for Oasis after the last three mediocre albums.

Sleep Over Jack said:
New single details:

http://www.nme.com/news/112836.htm

OASIS have confirmed details of their new single 'THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING IDLE'.

Released on August 22, the song is the second to be lifted from their current album ’Don’t Believe The Truth’.

Wow, I never saw that song as a single. It's a great song. Maybe my third favorite song with Noel on vocals (after Don't Look Back In Anger and Mucky Fingers) but I'm not sure if it's going to work as a single. Mucky Fingers should be the next single I think. Then Keep The Dream Alive.

Meaning of Soul is an Oasis classic.

Personally I think Guess God Thinks i'm Abel should be the second single.

a BELL will ring is awesome

Sleep Over Jack said:
Its a great album, but I suppose some need their cookie-cutter anthem-by-numbers type songs..this is an excellent progression for Oasis after the last three mediocre albums.

Please. I'm not looking for cookie-cutter anthem-by-numbers songs. I am, however, looking for songs that sound as if the people who wrote them are actually interested in the music themselves. What I hear on this album is a band going through the motions more than anything else.

Personally I think the main reason people are hyping this album at all is simply because it is better than the last few Oasis albums. And being better than the last two albums isn't exactly saying that much. Better ≠ good. If this was Oasis' 2nd album I hardly think it would be as well received.

this album rocks, end of story........love noel's little falsetto in the importance of being idle

Diemen said:

Personally I think the main reason people are hyping this album at all is simply because it is better than the last few Oasis albums. And being better than the last two albums isn't exactly saying that much. Better ≠ good. If this was Oasis' 2nd album I hardly think it would be as well received.

:up:

Oh dear... the arbiters of taste have descended from the rafters ;)

I 'll tell you why the album is recieving considerable praise, and thats because its a very consistent album...sure there are no Wonderwall 10/10 songs, (although Importance Of Being Idle might prove a classic in time) but to me every song is at least excellent and worth hearing repeatedly, unlike the skipathons the last three were..and saying the band sound uninterested in what they're playing? well thats your opinion, I on the other hand feel they sound more energised and enthused on DBTT than they have in a long time. Also I would say to you that I am highly critical of their post 1995 output (you won't find me listening to 'Giants, Be Here Now and Heathen Chemistry) but I feel that they've gotten round to writing catchy songs that improve with each listen once more.

Its not crime to not be able to match Morning Glory and Definitely Maybe, two of the best albums by anyone..the new one isn't quite a masterpiece but is a very fine achievement indeed.

Last edited:
Why do people don't like Standing On The Shoulders Of Giants? It's a great album in my opinion. I mean: Go Let It Out, Who Feels Love, Gas Panic, Where Did It All Go Wrong, I Can See A Liar, Roll It Over are all great songs. And Fucking In The Bushes is a great opener and a great instrumental track. Great album. I think it's even stronger than Be Here Now. :shrug:

I agree, Standing on Shoulders is a great album. Fucking in the Bushes always gets me psyched up.
And, WTF, just because i think the new album sounds good doesn't mean i only like cookie-cutter music. You know what they say about those who ASSume.

Back
Top Bottom