Nyc 2012

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - New York and four European capitals ? London, Madrid, Moscow and Paris ? were selected as finalists Tuesday in the race to host the 2012 Olympics. Four cities failed to make the cut: Havana; Istanbul, Turkey; Leipzig, Germany, and Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

despite how people keep complaining about the traffic this will cause... i done want this... i done want it bad.

nyc2012.jpg

Headache in a Suitcase said:

despite how people keep complaining about the traffic this will cause...

yeah, cause the traffic is so easy to drive in right now.

the big sticking point with new yorkers over this seems to be, besides the obvious bitching about traffic, is that they could better use the money for the olympics and the jets stadium and put it towards raises for the cops, firemen, teachers, sanitation, etc. etc. and while i certainly see that case, i don't think it's a good idea. putting the money towards raises is fine, but where's the money for the next raise 10 years down the line? why not use the money on a project that can continue to bring income into the city for decades to come? rather than a short band aid now, why not go in for surgery... it'll cost more now, but it'll be better off in the future.

with winter 2010 in vancouver, i see a continental shift for summer 2012.

but it could be good for the city.

headache: a lot of past olympics have suffered from poorly guided, even corrypt management and left the city much worse off. montreal, 30 years after the fact for example, has not yet fully emerged from its olympic hangover. not that such an outcome is a certainty in new york, or any city for that matter, but there seems great potential for failure.

Last edited:
Hewson said:
Paris will win.
Least threat of terrorism of the finalists since the French like Al Qaeda and Iraq.

No kiddin, Al Qaeda's obviously going to be at the Greece games this summer in some "capacity".

By 2012 they'll probably petition the IOC to field a team.

Do the French still like Iraq now that their "Sugar Daddy" Saddam is gone?

the olympic village would be built in queens, directly across the east river from the UN... not in the bronx.

venue.lrg.qns.jpg

olympicmap.jpg

i do have an issue with gymnastics at the garden and basketball at the meadowlands... should be the other way around.

www.nyc2012.com has a cool section... "our olympic plan"... where they show all the facilities that would be used/built/etc.

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:

one would think, but not neccesarily from what i'm hearing

I don't pretend to have any real knowledge of the situation, but London, Paris, and Moscow have already hosted in the past. (Paris and London twice)

NYC has not.

THe IOC knows that if they turn the Big Apple down this time, it might get the one fingered salute if they come calling further on down the road.

im pissed off about the fact that its going to either moscow, madrid, nyc, paris or london.....

usa had a games a recent as 1996, they should wait at least another 10 years

spain had barcelona not that long ago

paris and london have already had it numerous times

moscow had it in the 70's, still relatively recent.

Rio would have been a perfect location but it was rejected

Leipzig would benefit the city as a whole and be a unique location

Istanbul would also have a brilliant effect on turkey as a whole as they grow in significance as a nation in the world.

It should go to Rio the 2012 olympics, but the conservative boring ioc havent got the guts to try sumfin different

Out of those 5 however, i gotta say that id only be interested in the games if they are in paris or nyc.......but it still should be in rio or istanbul

Vancouver will host the 2010 Winter Olympics. I still think it will cost more than what we have been told but I am optimistic.

The big advantage NY has over it's competitors is that the major US televisoin networks want a North American venue so that the large North American viewing audience can watch the games live during 'normal' hours.

Back
Top Bottom