Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan - spellbinding genius

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonosleftone

Refugee
If everyone in the world listened to this man and understood punjabi, the world would be a better place.

Absolutely gorgeous, uplifting, soul-shaking music. I don't understand a word the man sings but all I do know is that it makes me want to run a marathon and shout from on high at how beautiful life is. Truly spectacular.

Not for everyone, and if you like world music you probably have already met Nusrat. It's no wonder why artists from Jeff Buckley to even Bono have praised his genius. I get shell shocked listening to this music.

I'm hardly a religious person but this is what music is all about. Lifting up and getting as close to heaven as you can while living a physical life.

A Indian friend of mine and I were discussing music the other day and she demanded I borrow a CD of love and devotional songs by Nusrat and his "party" band. I had actually been exposed to his music briefly on Dead Man Walking and via the deluxe Jeff Buckley Live at Sin-e CD, but I wasnt expecting it to be this breathtakingly fantastic. Who am I to say no to a beautiful Indian girl?

It's like discovering Kahlil Gibran and Pablo Neruda all over again.

aise rehte hain wo mere dil mein jaise zulmat mein noor rehta hai

my beloved lives in my heart, like light lives in darkness

I'm with you on that; everyone who's heard him thinks he's amazing. But not enough people have heard him.

typhoon said:
I'm with you on that; everyone who's heard him thinks he's amazing. But not enough people have heard him.

I went to the music store today and I got three of his CD's for 7.99 each, a fucking steal IMO.

Back
Top Bottom