No... Sleep... Till Brooklyn...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
TRENTON, N.J. -- The New Jersey Nets' owners have agreed to sell the team to a New York City real estate developer, a move that could bring Brooklyn its first major sports franchise since 1957.

The contract was finalized Wednesday, said Edwin Stier, president of the Community Youth Organization, which owns the Nets.

The developer, Bruce Ratner, wants to move the Nets to a new arena that would be at the center of a proposed $2.5 billion office, residential and shopping complex in Brooklyn. But the deal must first be approved by the board of YankeeNets, the holding company of the Nets and New York Yankees, which planned to meet Friday.

"I'm very pleased that the process worked and was very successful, and I'm very glad it's over. It was a very intense process of negotiation," Stier said.

Ratner's bid beat out an offer from a group led by real estate developer Charles Kushner and New Jersey Sen. Jon S. Corzine, who sought to keep the team in New Jersey. Corzine and Ratner declined comment Wednesday night; attempts to reach Kushner through his office were unsuccessful. Ratner's bid was reportedly $300 million. Stier wouldn't comment on the amount.

Stier said he informed Kushner of the board's decision late Wednesday.

"He told me he appreciated the way the process was run," Stier said. "All the parties who participated expressed that to me."

George Zoffinger, president of the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority, which operates the Meadowlands complex where the Nets play, said the team's owner "basically stabbed the people of New Jersey in the back."

Ratner's proposed Brooklyn Arena and Brooklyn Atlantic Yards would combine residential, retail and commercial space totaling 7.7 million square feet. The entire development is expected to take 10 years.

Under the plan, work on the arena would begin next year and finish in time for the 2006 NBA season. The arena would seat 19,000 for basketball, and include 4,500 units of residential housing and 2.1 million square feet of commercial office space.

Some Brooklyn residents have charged that the project would displace close to 1,000 people.

"I'm very disappointed," said city councilwoman Letitia James, whose district includes the area where the arena would be located. "It's a great day for rich developers and a sad day for working families."

The borough has not had a major sports franchise since baseball's Dodgers left for Los Angeles in 1957.

The Nets were in San Antonio on Wednesday night, where they lost to the Spurs 99-76.

When asked after the game about the possible move, Jason Kidd replied: "When do we move? I'll probably be retired. That's nice so you guys don't have to ask us anymore."

3397%3A44723232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E2325%3D%3B94%3D65%3A%3DXROQDF%3E2323498%3C87547ot1lsi

Horizontal scroll - and when was the last time you saw a mod in here? ;)

Wow!!!

So, similar to the Giants and Jets playing in New Jersey, would the team keep the "New Jersey" title despite moving to Brooklyn?

:lol:

The photo is taking to long to load...where exactly in Brooklyn are they looking to build this new arena?

that would be a sweet looking arena!

I would fear "rowdy sports fans" and a "rooftop terrace." Especially the creative fans in New York!

Actually, they could learn a lot from similar terraces at English football stadiums. :no:

The Brooklyn Faghedaboutits

nah they'll keep Nets... the Nets franchise started on Long Island as the New York Nets, playing originaly in the Commack Arena, followed by the Island Garden, switching to the Nassau Coliseum before moving to Joisey. I'm sure they'll switch to Brooklyn Nets rather than back to New York Nets based on the marketability of the Brooklyn name.

As for the Giants & Jets, they're named after their closest metropolitan area... the Meadowlands Sports Complex is just over 7 miles from Manhattan. The Miami Dolphins play in Pro Player Stadium, 14 1/2 miles outside of Miami. The Buffalo Bills play in Ralph Wilson Stadium, 14 miles outside of Buffalo in Orchard Park, NY. Twice the distance from their namesake than the Jets or Giants, yet no one ever says s:censored:t about them. :shrug::wink:

Back to the arena... it would be part of a new development of office buildings, museums, resturants and apartments scheduled to be built at the corner of Flatbush & Atlantic, over the current LIRR Brooklyn yards & MTA Bus depot

Last edited:
Still is a great song! :mad:

"Closest metro area"? They are the New York Giants and Jets...not the New York City Giants or Jets. They don't even play in New York!

I am just giving you a hard time :wink:...I think it would be an ABSOLUTE SHAME if they ever called them anything other than the NEW YORK Giants/Jets.

the official name of the city is New York, NY... not New York City, NY :wink:

and as for "I am just giving you a hard time ...I think it would be an ABSOLUTE SHAME if they ever called them anything other than the NEW YORK Giants/Jets."

you're damn skippy it would be a shame :wink:

i think i use the :wink: smiley too much lately... i might need some sort of rehab :wink:

:wink::wink::wink::wink::wink:

Back
Top Bottom