Nickelback Lyrics Appreciation Topic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UberBeaver

Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim
Few lyricists, let alone poets, can make words dance in the sublime manner of Nickelback's resident genius, Chad Kroker. I think it's high time we give him his due and have a topic celebrating his awe inspiring lyricism.

Well you can dig me up a grave
And try and stick me in the ground
Well you can tie me to the bed
And try and beat me half to death
But you can never keep me down
Well you can stick me in a hole
And you can pray all day for rain
You can shoot me in the leg
Just to try to make me beg
And you can leave me there for days.

By now, no doubt that we were heading south
I guess nobody ever taught her not to speak with a full mouth
'Cause this was it, like flicking on a switch
It felt so good I almost drove into the ditch

I reside in 209, you're in 208
You moved in last Friday night,
and I just couldn't wait
So I tried to call across the hall,
to ask you out someday
But a lineup formed outside your door, and I was way too late

DOES THIS SOUND LIKE SARCASM TO YOU?
Rock the fuck on Chad Kroker! :rockon:

is there not enough stupid shit to occupy you in the lemonade stand that you have to bring it in here too?

jesus.

:rolleyes:

:laugh: @ this thread

seriously, who actually buys this shit and allows these hacks to make a living? if eazy-e has taught us nothing else, he's taught us that you can only write so many songs about getting a bj.

On behalf of Canada; I'm so, so sorry. First Celine Dion, and now Nickleback... Where did we go wrong :tsk:

I mean... seriously...

"
And I don't see too well, don't sing too well
And I settle to scream
Just grab your shit, and leave with it
They won't make no statues of you
"

They won't make no statues of you? ... :eyebrow:

~unforgettableFOXfire~ said:
On behalf of Canada; I'm so, so sorry. First Celine Dion, and now Nickleback... Where did we go wrong :tsk:

It all started with Doug Henning. That was the beginning of the Canadian Doofus Invasion. However, you did give us Elisha Cuthbert, so I can forgive the Doug Henning years. But Celine and Nickelback, that's gonna take some work.

I'm not really a Nickelback fan, but must we all be bigoted against lyrics that don't attempt to be all fancy-arse and deeply poetic...

Why can't lyrics just tell a story simplistically? Why must we all expect every song to be Stipe-ian, Bono-lese, or quite ludicrously Kanye West-ian, or Yorke-ian...

Take the Gin Blossoms, Hey Jealousy for example. An utterly gorgeous song, and while the lyrics don't attempt to instil the Gin Blossoms as the lyrical-equlivalent of Shakespeare, it still a splendid tune and it would probably fail to invoke the same feeling or enjoyment, if the lyricist was aiming to be all pretentious, fancy or avant-gardish.

Some things should be kept simple....

Minimalism....

intedomine said:
I'm not really a Nickelback fan, but must we all be bigoted against lyrics that don't attempt to be all fancy-arse and deeply poetic...

Some things should be kept simple....

Minimalism....

Chad?

Simple and minimalistic are just fine. I'm all for it. I have issue, however, when lyrics cross over into "fucking stupid", a la Nickelback. When the lyrics sound like something I wrote on my way to English class when I was a sophomore, I feel the urge to mock.

UberBeaver said:

Chad?

Simple and minimalistic are just fine. I'm all for it. I have issue, however, when lyrics cross over into "fucking stupid", a la Nickelback. When the lyrics sound like something I wrote on my way to English class when I was a sophomore, I feel the urge to mock.

Whilst you might find the lyrics of a song like "Figured You Out" stupid, others may find them to be just the tonic for the particular period in their lives or a particular feeling...

"I like your pants around your feet..." - I, for one, can identify with what Mr Kroeger is saying here.

And why would a set of lyrics written while going to english class when someone is a sophomore, necessarilly be bad?

Back
Top Bottom