Nick Drake's Pink Moon - I am adoring it!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
As I continue my path of 2008 musical discovery, I have decided that the year will consist of The Who, Nick Drake, Bruce Springsteen and one of either the Stones, Dylan or REM. I walked into JB, trying to find either The Who Sell Out or Quadrophenia, neither of which were available (despite there being about six copies of Tommy, discounted :mad:] so I wandered over to Nick Drake, found Pink Moon, and bought it.

And I am so glad I did. It is a wonderful record. It was kiiind of predictable, it was what I thought it would be, but that's by no means a bad thing. The vocals are just terrific, the guitar amazing, all of it. I've gotta run right now, but my favourite songs so far have been Pink Moon (the piano makes it all the better), Place to Be, Which Will and From the Morning. The only song I'm not a big fan of is Know. But what magic.

Pink Moon - 10
Place to Be - 9
Road - 7.5
Which Will - 9
Horn - 6.5
Things Behind the Sun - 7.5
Know - 6
Parasite - 7.5
Free Ride - 7.5
Harvest Breed - 6
From the Morning - 10

:heart: :love:

Horn, Harvest Breed, and Parasite pwn. Listen to them again.

His other two records are just as good. Five Leaves Left may be better, while Bryter Layter is more filled-out.

Phenomenal record, one of my all time favorites. Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

And if you still haven't chose between the Stones, Dylan, or REM, do yourself a favor and go with Bobby D. It's an obsession that will never let up.

This is one of those classic albums.

That everyone should own.

You can always start with the illustrious Volkswagen commercial. :wink:

This will greet you outside of my house:

n58015847_39998713_5344.jpg

In all seriousness, I do think Pink Moon is by far his best. I appreciate Bryter Layter in the sense that it definitely symbolized growth and a change of sound that came with it, but I never really took to that album. I don't know why. Maybe too jazzy for my liking?

anitram said:

In all seriousness, I do think Pink Moon is by far his best. I appreciate Bryter Layter in the sense that it definitely symbolized growth and a change of sound that came with it, but I never really took to that album. I don't know why. Maybe too jazzy for my liking?

I never really took to Bryter Layter either, outside of Hazy Jane II and Northern Sky. Nick Drake works best when it's just him and his guitar. Pink Moon is brilliant.

GibsonGirl said:

I never really took to Bryter Layter either, outside of Hazy Jane II and Northern Sky. Nick Drake works best when it's just him and his guitar. Pink Moon is brilliant.

That double seals it for me.

Pink Moon will be purchased 'ere this night is over.

anitram said:

It definitely is his weakest, but still very good.

And how do you feel about Five Leaves Left?

No spoken words said:

I shall torture you with my impressions of it after giving it a few listens.

:)

It's a very short album. You might be underwhelmed a little at first (I was) but with repeated listens...oh man. I haven't listened to it in a while. This thread inspired me to give it another spin. I forgot how awesome Things Behind The Sun was.

Look around, you find the ground
Is not so far from where you are

No spoken words said:

I shall torture you with my impressions of it after giving it a few listens.

:)

It doesn't leave a very large impression, considering it's not even a half hour long. :wink:

But you'll probably like it. :up:

GibsonGirl said:

It's a very short album. You might be underwhelmed a little at first (I was) but with repeated listens...oh man. I haven't listened to it in a while. This thread inspired me to give it another spin. I forgot how awesome Things Behind The Sun was.

Look around, you find the ground
Is not so far from where you are

I never listen to an album less than 3x, so, no worries on that front.

LemonMelon said:

It definitely is his weakest, but still very good.

And how do you feel about Five Leaves Left?

I think it's his second best. But you know the problem is that I heard it after I heard Pink Moon and so I always feel like it was tainted and bound to land somewhere below it in the pile.

It sounds to me like somebody's introductory album. Not that it's a bad thing.

liamcool said:
COBL, if you're planning on getting into only four bands this year, you REALLY need to expand your musical horizons and make an attempt to get into more.

I second this. I've probably gotten into four new bands in the past week.

I also second all the Pink Moon praise. I found it to be one of those albums that is incredibly underwhelming the first time around but really works its way into your mind before long.

liamcool said:
COBL, if you're planning on getting into only four bands this year, you REALLY need to expand your musical horizons and make an attempt to get into more.

And Pink Moon is one of the best albums of all time, great choice.

I don't have the time or the money to get into more music than that. I love music, but not that much. Four new bands in a week??!? The only time I get to listen to music is on the way to school, after school when I get on the computer, and a few other occasions.

Parasite is great as well. Quality stuff, this album.

That's what I found as well New South Wales. I too was a bit taken aback at first, but once you've played it four or five times (not hard) it really grows. What songs are you liking/not liking?

The only songs I don't have a flavour for are Know and Harvest Breed.

Pink Moon, Place to Be and From the Morning are magic.

Anytime someone takes No Spoken Words, reduces it to NSW, and then changes it to New South Wales, I'm pleased.

Pink Moon and Things Behind the Sun are my two favorites as of now.

COBL_04 said:

I don't have the time or the money to get into more music than that. I love music, but not that much. Four new bands in a week??!? The only time I get to listen to music is on the way to school, after school when I get on the computer, and a few other occasions.

Torrents :drool:

I still buy stacks of music, but Hey.....I've had my whole music world turned upside down and Discover that many artists its not funny...or maybe it is!

I usually try and do one (and just one) Big (Most of the time its way to big for my bank balance!) JB Hi-Fi hit a month. So say if you brought four cd's from four diffrent (or maybe a couple of diffrent) bands, on a once a month basis....Thats 48 bands in a year! :lol:

COBL_04 said:

You can't listen to one new album a month? You could triple your horizons if you just did that.

Back
Top Bottom