NHL Playoffs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zonelistener

ONE love, blood, life
Let's talk!

Now, I am pretty darn excited to have "MY" Minnesota Wild headed to the playoffs in their third season.

Who will you be cheering for - and who do you hope to see in the playoffs (match-ups)?

Predicitions for the Stanley Cup playoffs?

How about that Carolina squad!

It would be nice for Edmonton to finally break out of the Western Conference basement... who knows how well they would have done if they didn't have to play Dallas everytime they made the playoffs. (plus... I'm close enough I might be able to catch a game)

I'd like to see new teams advance... sick of New Jersey... (yes both the team and the Bon Jovi album)

Possibly a Stanley Cup in Canada... that would be good... but, I won't be disappointed if a hard-working team like Minnesota or Tampa Bay upsets a few division leaders...

I will be cheering for good hockey, and no lousy suspensions... (the diplomatic answer).

My Prediction:

Death bear will jump over the boards at a Vancouver playoff game wearing only a sock... after an attempt to hug Todd Bertuzzi, death bear will be listed as day-to-day with an upper-body injury.

It's really between these teams (in no particular order):

* Dallas
* Vancouver
* Ottawa
* Detroit
* Colorado

Of course, I'm going for Vancouver. I just hope the best line in the NHL can withstand the playoff checking, this year. Last year they were shut down. If Morrison, Naslund, and Bertuzzi can find a way to score, Vancouver should be very dangerous. It would be great to see the most entertaining team in the NHL (Vancouver) win the Stanley Cup. It would be great for hockey, and great for North America's #1 city. (I know that sounds obnoxious!)

I'm hoping it comes down to either Toronto or Ottawa and of course the Avs. Hopefully we can pull the fourth spot so we get home ice for the first round of the playoffs. Vancouver will be dangerous also though:mad:

Vancouver? They are a one line team that can't hit and has a suspect goalie. That may work ok in the regular season but they will be lucky to win 1 round in the playoffs where you gotta grind it out and 1 bad goal can kill you.

I see you left off the Blues as well which could be a mistake. Now that they have a decent goalie to go with 3 very strong scoring lines and a top notch defense that will only get better when Pronger returns, they could do some damage in the playoffs.

But anything can happen so it should be an interesting last couple weeks and post season, lets just hope the Red Wings don't win.

Chizip said:
Vancouver? They are a one line team that can't hit and has a suspect goalie. That may work ok in the regular season but they will be lucky to win 1 round in the playoffs where you gotta grind it out and 1 bad goal can kill you.

I see you left off the Blues as well which could be a mistake. Now that they have a decent goalie to go with 3 very strong scoring lines and a top notch defense that will only get better when Pronger returns, they could do some damage in the playoffs.

But anything can happen so it should be an interesting last couple weeks and post season, lets just hope the Red Wings don't win.

I thought that I'd pipe in for those Canuck fans, myself not included... they do actually have a very deep team that is capable of going many rounds in the playoffs... goaltending suspect? I don't think so... I would be more worried about that if I were a Blues fan...

Why has no one mentioned Anaheim?:lol:

Now that I laugh at Anaheim, they will probably advance to the Finals... I must say J-S Giguere is pretty good... I had an opportunity to see him quite a few times when he backed up in Calgary...

I just wanna see some playoff hockey... Calgary has had a drought far too long... the last playoff game I saw was Game 7 of the 1994 Western Conference Quarterfinals between Calgary and Vancouver... great game... (not for Calgary though).

i like anaheim for a couple of rounds. the stumpy thomas pickup is a stroke of genius.
i think the avs will overpower the wings, canucks and blues.

there is very little reason to think the sens are a different team that what has been annually eliminated from the dance. they airlifted in some toughness. but the teams which go harder, faster and stronger in the playoffs are those which have toughness and skill within the same players. that's why the east will come down, in my opinion, to toronto, philadelphia or perhaps the isles. im going to give the edge to my faves because the leafs have by far the most playoff proven goaltender in eddie belfour. eddie is only rivalled in the east by brodeur, who is deserving of getting another cup, but does not have a viable offence in front of him.

Last edited:
kobayashi said:
i like anaheim for a couple of rounds. the stumpy thomas pickup is a stroke of genius.
i think the avs will overpower the wings, canucks and blues.

there is very little reason to think the sens are a different team that what has been annually eliminated from the dance. they airlifted in some toughness. but the teams which go harder, faster and stronger in the playoffs are those which have toughness and skill within the same players. that's why the east will come down, in my opinion, to toronto, philadelphia or perhaps the isles. im going to give the edge to my faves because the leafs have by far the most playoff proven goaltender in eddie belfour. eddie is only rivalled in the east by brodeur, who is deserving of getting another cup, but does not have a viable offence in front of him.

You really think the Mighty Ducks are gonna make it to the Western Conference Finals?? Maybe if they were in the Eastern Conference something like that could happen (see the Hurricanes last year), but not in the loaded Western Conference. They could very well end up with the 8th seed and face Detroit in the first round, facing Dallas or Colorado wouldn't be much easier.
And the Av's will overpower the Wings?? Detroit killed them this weekend, as they have everybody lately. It's definitely Detroits cup to lose this year (Im just hoping for one of Cujo's annual choke jobs).

The Eastern Conference playoffs isnt even worth watching, its like a tournament to see who will come in second. Unless of course the Ducks make it to the finals. :tongue:

Chizip said:

You really think the Mighty Ducks are gonna make it to the Western Conference Finals?? Maybe if they were in the Eastern Conference something like that could happen (see the Hurricanes last year), but not in the loaded Western Conference. They could very well end up with the 8th seed and face Detroit in the first round, facing Dallas or Colorado wouldn't be much easier.
And the Av's will overpower the Wings?? Detroit killed them this weekend, as they have everybody lately. It's definitely Detroits cup to lose this year (Im just hoping for one of Cujo's annual choke jobs).

The Eastern Conference playoffs isnt even worth watching, its like a tournament to see who will come in second. Unless of course the Ducks make it to the finals. :tongue:

i think roy will beat the wings. or better put, joseph wont be all that great come the third round. and yes i think the ducks could pull out a couple of series wins...i dont know why i just do:tongue: .

if eddie belfour or brodeur got to the finals, they would give either of thier teams a good chance.

Well I agree about Cu-choke messing things up for the Wings, but you just said you think the Av's will beat the Red Wings in the 3rd round, and you also said the Ducks will win 2 rounds. So either they decided to go to a 3 team conference finals or I am missing something. :tongue:

I can only stand so much, and I can'ts stands no more...why do I get the feeling I am getting egged on by a bunch of simpletons who actually invest hope in the fact that a team like Anaheim or St. Louis will go far... maybe I will choke, but only on the shit that you guys are talking...

It's interesting that you call it the Cu-Choke... did you not watch the Conference Finals last year... more like Toronto - choke... take a look at his peers during that playoff (if you want to call them that) who was the best goalie... Irbe? (yeah, he's in the minors)... Roy? (Seven goals in his last game)... Hasek (he was OK, but not the reason why Detroit won)... as for Belfour, Dallas didn't even want him (actually, I think Belfour is a very capable goalie... but, sounded like you guys were making comparisons anyway)... and Brodeur, whatever, if you play for the most trap dominated team in the league for a decade you'd probably rack up a few wins too (not to devalue Brodeur's talents, but if he were on another team I don't think his numbers would be so spectacular)...

Next time you want to make playoff predictions, at least provide some sort of insight instead of the same old media-driven drivel... the only thing remotely interesting you said was that Anaheim would go far... at least that was an original statement. Now I'm not a bandwagon fan who latches on to last year's champ, and by no means am I some prick who only watches sport to boo the perennial favorite, but I will stick by those who I've always supported... what you guys are saying isn't even worthy of comment by Nick Kypreos (if you don't know who he is, believe me that's a burn)...

Absolutely no favoritism was used in the making of this reply...

concussion victims dont offer insight

cujo said:
what you guys are saying isn't even worthy of comment by Nick Kypreos (if you don't know who he is, believe me that's a burn)...

:lol:

i stand by what i say. cujo played alright in the conference finals last year...his play wasn't playoff-perfect in the sens series though either. i liked the guy a lot and dont buy the fact that TO is better today than if cujo were present. but i do think cujo will be the difference relative to roy. by the same token the leafs will be that much better with a playoff proven goalie in belfour.

Kypreos is the jackass that took out Grant Fuhr in the 96 playoffs, which cost the Blues the Cup. I hate that guy. The Blues lost in the next round in the 7th game at Detroit by an Yzerman slapshot from the blueline, on a giveaway by Gretzky. (Wherein lies my hatred for Detroit (and Greztky))

Now I will admit I am a little biased, but lets get things straight, I think the Blues will go far, while the Ducks will go out in the first round. Anybody who thinks the Ducks will win more than one playoff round is just ducking stupid. Now I know the Blues havent had much playoff success really ever so they need to prove themselves, but this team is built for the playoffs and if Osgood can just be decent, Im not afraid of anyone.

This difference between Roy, Hasek, and Belfour to Cu-choke is they all have won Cups. Cu-choke is a lot like the Blues, make it to the first or second around before choking their way to the golf course. He is actually one of the reasons the Blues havent won the cup, so he has to prove he can win it before I'd have faith that he could.

Now the Wings may be able to win the Cup in spite of him, and I'm not saying he is terrible, he is just the weak link of a very very strong team, and would be one of the only ways they could get knocked out. Which is the only thing I can hope for since, as you think is noble, I'm sticking by the team I have always supported, the Blues, and because of this has a deep deep hatred for the Red Wings.

Absolutely favoritism was used in the making of this reply :tongue: ...

Anaheim (birthplace of zonelistener) will not make it by Detroit in the first round. Minnesota (home of zonelistener) will give Vancouver a run for the Canadian Dollar in the first round - but I am nort sure if they will get by them.

New Jersey (where zonelistener was raised) will be around late in the playoffs - proly not in the Finals though. I am not sure who will be in the finals from the east (I would be happy to see Ottawa). West:Vancouver or Dallas (a team zonelistener is sad that they ever left where he currently lives). But it isn't all about me.

Chizip said:

And we killed them in two consectutive games before that. :madspit: 5-8 on February 8th. 1-0 on February 6th.

We can beat the Red Wings in the play-offs.

I see only two teams being a problem for the Avs: Vancouver and Dallas. I would dearly love to see Dallas lose. I hate that team and hope they never get another Cup.

AvsGirl41 said:

And we killed them in two consectutive games before that. :madspit: 5-8 on February 8th. 1-0 on February 6th.

We can beat the Red Wings in the play-offs.

I see only two teams being a problem for the Avs: Vancouver and Dallas. I would dearly love to see Dallas lose. I hate that team and hope they never get another Cup.
Exactle everyone knows that the Avs can beat Detroit in the playoffs. The season series is tied 2 to 2 and they are always dead even every single year.

I also hate Dallas and hope they get upset or choke. Vancouver will be tough as will St. Louis I have a feeling

Ottawa is trult the team to beat though imo

chizip, get real. the canucks are not a oneline team, and theyre one of the biggest teams in the league - meaning YES THEY DO HIT!

ed jovonovski is their smallest defenceman. that speaks volumes of their size.

ottawa is not the team to beat. they are good. but rob ray isn't going to mean much in the playoffs.
and brian smolinski is just as much a playoff choker as the rest of the team (hossa, arvedson)

I always laugh when I hear that Vancouver is a "one line team". Sorry, but a team simply does not lead in the entire NHL in "goals for" with just one line. The scoring has been nicely spread out over the course of the entire year. Anyone who has watched the games would know that. Also, I can never stop laughing over the argument that the Canucks would be in trouble if they didn't have their top two players. Uhm, hello? EVERY team would be in trouble if they didn't have their top players!!! Take away Forsberg and Sakic, and the Avs would be brutal. Take away Modano and the Stars are in trouble. Take away Fedorov and Shanahan, and the Wings would no longer be a worry either. Weak, weak arguments people! Embarrassingly so, actually.

Vancouver beat the Dallas Stars tonight and were up by 4-1 at one point (with 4 minor league players in the line-up I might add!). Minor leaguer goaltender Alex Auld was great. The Canucks have now beaten every elite team in the NHL this year. I can still remember the 6-3 pounding they gave Ottawa earlier in the season. They've won the season series against Detroit as well, and recently beat the Avs. The truth is clear: Vancouver is an elite team now. Accept it and move on.

By the way, Vancouver now has the two top goal scorers in the NHL!! Has any team ever been able to boast that this late in the season? Ah, all is just fine out here on the West Coast (thank-you very much ;))...

Last edited:
Chizip said:

This difference between Roy, Hasek, and Belfour to Cu-choke is they all have won Cups. Cu-choke is a lot like the Blues, make it to the first or second around before choking their way to the golf course. He is actually one of the reasons the Blues havent won the cup, so he has to prove he can win it before I'd have faith that he could.

See that's the problem... you've been watching too much Sportscenter and not enough hockey... it doesn't do justice to the players if you only read the boxscore buddy... and if you blame Curtis for not winning the cup in the eight years that he hasn't been there, maybe he's not the one that's choking. Your hatred for the Red Wings is understandable, but don't let that cloud the issue. And as for those Blues fans out there, keep on hoping. Any team that uses "When the Saints Go Marchin In" coupled with bells ringing for their goal celebration deserves a collective ass-kicking. Weakest link my ass... check out the Blues goaltending... I would be even more worried if the goalie that was acquired with a deadline deal consisted of the rejected half of a tandem including Garth Snow (Canuck's fans will understand that)...

I despise Ottawa, but I don't let that get in the way of the fact that they are a much better team than last year. They've learned from all their early exits and are better for it... they probably will be the team to beat in the East (believe me, I've watched the last three installments of the Battle of Ontario, and the embarassment they gave Philly last year)...

As well, I have nothing against the Avs, but I have to disagree with the whole cu-choking thing (you guys understand, you do the same when your team is under attack)... I think that the Wings beat you guys in the last meeting, handily...also, you may remember a little team called the Oilers that upset the best teams in the West two years in a row... Dallas and Colorado (and yes, Curtis kicked Roy's ass... but the next year Roy won)... not to mention the fact that Joseph has the second most career playoff shutouts behind Roy... if you really want to get into stats and crap like that, don't tempt me... I will concede though, that none of this means anything... its time to put up or shut up, and the only thing that matters is a cup.

Absolutely favoritism was used in the making of this reply... geez Chipiz Ahoy, you are so unoriginal you even used my line... I hope that you weren't reading this during a Sportscenter telecast... then where would you get your material...:wink:

Just kidding guys... it's nice to see there is passion for hockey, even in Indiana. There does seem to be a load of Canucks and Avs fans though... I am curious to see how long those Avs followers will watch when their team starts to go down the drain... Canuck fans have been through the crap, and deserve to see their team finally get deep in the playoffs... even St. Louis is due for a playoff win or two...

One more thing, before my rant is done... you seem to pass judgement on player's previous mistakes, but no one has mentioned colossal blunders by some of the other elite goalies. Roy (or as I like to call him Roy-d... that's wad for the phonetically challenged) tried that Statue of Liberty play into his own net, which definitely cost them the series against the Wings... and let us not forget the billion-dollar Belfour incident (you know, wink wink, drinkity drinkity)... bla bla bla... bottom line I'm full of shit.

Last edited:
I don't know where you are getting the whole Sportscenter thing, yes I do watch Sportscenter but not for hockey information, since they only show highlights for about 2 minutes of their 90 min shows. The spend more time on women's basketball than hockey which is a little ridiculous, dont get me started on Sportscenter. Oh, and I have Center Ice on DirectTv so I can watch all the games, and it was interesting on the Vancouver telecast during the intermission they were talking about how scary St. Louis was. Alright, now on to your points:

EVERY team would be in trouble if they didn't have their top players!!!

Well lets see, the Blues have been without their best MVP winning player all year in Chris Pronger, as well as long stretches without Doug Weight and Keith Tkachuk and many other key parts. Detroit has been without Yzerman all year, and Colorado went through a long stretch without Sakic. Yet they all seemed to do alright because they hae the depth to make up for it. Now would Vancouver? hmmmmm You just better hope you dont find out.

The truth is clear: Vancouver is an elite team now.

Since when did the regular season make teams elite? You have to win a cup in order to truly prove that you are an elite team. Right now in the Western Conference the elite teams are Detroit, Colorado and Dallas. As much as a homer as I am The Blues aren't because they havent done squat in the playoffs. I remember when we won the Presidents trophy a few years ago and kicked everybody'd butt in the regular season, did that make us elite? Obviously not, we went down in the 1st round of the playoffs. Vancouver has a team that is very very similiar to that team, thats why Im a little skeptical of how far they'll go. You wanna be an elite team? Prove it in the playoffs, don't lose to Detroit in the first round (with a goalie that self destructs (whom you still have this year)). Accept it and move on. To be honest I'm praying the Avs are able to overcome you guys in the standings because Vancouver would be the easiest first round opponent. (Compared to Dallas, Detroit and Colorado)

Any team that uses "When the Saints Go Marchin In" coupled with bells ringing for their goal celebration deserves a collective ass-kicking

Don't forget about the towel guy who leads the crowd in counting the goals while waving his towel, and then throws it down from the upper deck. Good stuff. :tongue:

check out the Blues goaltending
What does the Blues goaltending have to do with how good Joseph is? I agree our goaltending is the weakest link too, and I hated getting Osgood because he has sucked this year (and played for the enemy) and I wanted Burke instead. But hey, a 35 shot shutout isnt a bad start, and he has won a Cup, unlike some goalie I know, so maybe he'll go on a hot strak like he is very capable of doing.

I hope that you weren't reading this during a Sportscenter telecast... then where would you get your material
Booya!

but no one has mentioned colossal blunders by some of the other elite goalies
Yes every goalie has made some bad bad plays. But the difference is some have rebounded to win a cup while some just keep Cu-choking. :wink:

Alright well thats that, and don't get me wrong, I like Vancouver, if the Blues can't win it all they are the team I'd like to see win. They are fun to watch and it would be nice to see a new team in the finals. It should be a great game tonight. I just wish Brad May was playing so we could get a little revenge on him taking out our best player with a cheap shot. Last game was definitely a playoff atmosphere, and now we got a goalie that can hold onto a 4-2 lead, so no comebacks for you tonight.

Chizip said:
Well lets see, the Blues have been without their best MVP winning player all year in Chris Pronger, as well as long stretches without Doug Weight and Keith Tkachuk and many other key parts. Detroit has been without Yzerman all year, and Colorado went through a long stretch without Sakic. Yet they all seemed to do alright because they hae the depth to make up for it. Now would Vancouver? hmmmmm You just better hope you dont find out.
The Blues have not been terrific most of this year by any stretch of the imagination. They've been hovering around 4th in the Western Conference all season, and I don't think they've once led their division (though maybe at the beginning for a little while). That doesn't sound incredible to me. The Blues are in trouble now without Tkachuk, and if they lost Weight right now as well, do you really think they'd have much hope? As for being without Pronger, I was thinking more of the elite offensive forward types that people are claiming Vancouver couldn't do without. My argument is that without Naslund and Bertuzzi, sure the Canucks would be in trouble, but so would any team be without their top two offensive forwards. You try and make the argument that Detroit was fine without Yzerman all year -- and I say, look where it got them! They were horrible all season. Now that they have him back, they're playing great again. Thanks for adding to my argument though ;)
Since when did the regular season make teams elite? You have to win a cup in order to truly prove that you are an elite team.
Oh, really? Sorry, I didn't know the true (your) definition of the term "elite" then. So are the Oilers an elite team since they were a dynasty back in the 80s? How about the Habs? They've won 23 cups. They must be super elite going by your logic. They're not making the playoffs, but super elite nonetheless? The Canucks have been near or at the top of the Western Conference all season, and therefore, to me, have been an elite team this season. As for the playoffs, we'll see how they fare.
Prove it in the playoffs, don't lose to Detroit in the first round (with a goalie that self destructs (whom you still have this year)).
The Canucks are a very young team, and they were facing the best team in the NHL in the first round of the playoffs. Cloutier had never had any real playoff experience. This year, you'll see a different team, and a different Cloutier. Cloutier was leading the entire NHL in wins this year when he went down a few weeks ago. The Canucks have two of the top goal scorers and the leading point scorer in the league. Their defense is huge. We all know about Ohlund and Jovanovski (Jovo was an integral part of Canada's olympic victory over the USA at Salt Lake), and the twins have gained leaps and bounds this year. Morrison has come into his own, as has Cooke. We've got the experience in leaders such as Linden. We're a tough team too, especially now with the addition of May. I'm not too worried about them. They're young and cocky, much like the Oilers of the 80s in that way.
To be honest I'm praying the Avs are able to overcome you guys in the standings because Vancouver would be the easiest first round opponent. (Compared to Dallas, Detroit and Colorado)
You do know Vancouver has convincingly beat all of these teams this season, right? Once again, I'm not worried about any of these teams, except Detroit as they've turned their game up a few notches since getting Yzerman back.

Last edited:
i think a hockey punchup is brewing.

especially since the two teams play tonite.

Yeah, tonight's contest should be a dandy. If Cloutier plays, it will be interesting because he's had no game practice for weeks. I would be surprised if Cloutier plays well his first game back, but let's hope he does. It usually takes him a couple weeks to get back into things after an injury. Still, I'm predicting The Canucks win another tonight over the Blues. My guess is 5-3 Canucks, possibly even 6-4.

5 or 6 goals?? Oh man, this isnt the same old Blues, we got a new man in goal, OZZZIE! The Ozman cometh and he feasts on the Canucks.

In his career, he is 11-1-4 against the Canucks . It has been more than six years since he lost to the Canucks.

"It's just funny. I just feel real comfortable against Vancouver." -Osgood

Id be shaking in my boots if I were a Canuck fan and we went against the Blues in the 1st round.

By the way the Blues were in first by 5 points for while this year, then Detroit went on their 27 out of 30 point tear while Brent Johnson cost us game after game. If we win tonight we will be just 4 points behind Vancouver with 2 games in hand while the Canucks are an "elite team" and the Blues just suck according to you. If it weren't for several games we dominated that our goaltending cost us we would easily be leading the Western Conference right now, but really the regular season means nothing, respect must be earned in the post season. Oh and when I made the "need to win a cup" remark about being an elite team, I mean they won it with their current core players, such as Colorado, Dallas, and Detroit, not teams 30 years ago obviously.

For tonights game, it should be a spirited affair as there will be bad blood brewing from the last game. Even though we are without our top two players (Pronger and Tkachuk) I say we will come out with a 5-2 victory.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom