NHL Offseason thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
elevated_u2_fan said:
I'm curious to know what the Canadiens fans think of Souray going to Edmonton...

I had always thought he was an integral part of the team, yes or no?

Well, he definitely became a leader in the dressing room, so I'm sure that his loss will be felt in that respect.

However, while Souray did score 26 goals this year, he was a minus 28 which means he was a defensive liability. So I don't know how integral he really was. It will be tough replacing his power-play production but I think the Habs will be better off with a defenseman more responsible in his own end.

I just want to see the damn Habs jerseys in new tight-fitting, space age form :drool:

Completely unchanged in design, that is. :tsk:

BonoManiac said:

Well, he definitely became a leader in the dressing room, so I'm sure that his loss will be felt in that respect.

Yep, towards the end of last season it seemed the media made a beeline for Souray to get his opinion on the match and his views were always prominently cited in articles.

And for the ladies, his lack of defensive skills, were more than made up by the eye candy he provided :love:

He was tough too and we need more of that on the team. I'll miss him :sad:

ladywithspinninghead said:
What's the general opinion in Montreal on his departure?

I usually check out RDS quite a bit but haven't had much time...

Well, I haven't had much time either, but I think people were generally resigned to the fact that he was leaving.

In fact, for the reasons mentioned above, I think it was pretty clear that, Souray's goal production aside, the Habs would be better off without him and I'm sure there are many other Montrealers out there who feel the same.

I wonder what our resident Islanders fans, UberBeaver and MrPryck, think of this. I think it's a wonderful gesture and will be looking forward to watching this game.

Arbour to coach Isles for a game to reach 1,500

CanWest News Service

Al Arbour, who led the New York Islanders to four straight Stanley Cups during the 1980s, will be behind the bench again in November to coach his 1,500th National Hockey League game.

Arbour, 75 on Nov. 1, has accepted an invitation from Isles coach Ted Nolan to run the team for one game to reach the milestone.

The Hall of Famer will sign a one-day contract on Nov. 2 and call the shots the following night, when the Islanders are home to Sidney Crosby and the Pittsburgh Penguins.

"This is an incredible gesture by Ted and the Islanders,"Arbour said. "I am flattered that Ted thought of me and I wouldn't miss this night for the world. I told the team that I do not want any pregame fanfare. I'm there to coach the game and help Ted and my Islanders try to earn two points against a very tough team."

Arbour is the second all-time winningest coach - behind Scotty Bowman - in NHL history, with 781 wins. His regular-season record with the Islanders is 739-537-223 from 1973 to 1994, the most wins by a coach with one team in NHL history.

"Every day last season, I would walk by that big board outside our locker room that lists the franchise's award winners and milestones," Nolan said. "And every day, it would kill me when I'd see coach Arbour made it to 1,499 games.

"I asked (GM) Garth Snow if we could bring coach back for one more game and to ask the NHL office to recognize it. They did, coach Arbour emphatically said he was on board and now I can't wait."

I think it's great that Arbour is getting a chance to coach the game. He deserves the honor.

I wish Souray was coming to theIslanders. Souray + Bergeron together on power play just raining hate from the blue line would have been something to watch. :drool:

So is this possible: Every friggin Leafs game is sold out already? I wanted to get some Leafs/Habs or Leafs/Isles tickets, but according to ticketmaster EVERY FRIGGIN GAME is sold out? Or have they just not gone on sale yet. I'm confused.

UberBeaver said:
I think it's great that Arbour is getting a chance to coach the game. He deserves the honor.

I wish Souray was coming to theIslanders. Souray + Bergeron together on power play just raining hate from the blue line would have been something to watch. :drool:

So is this possible: Every friggin Leafs game is sold out already? I wanted to get some Leafs/Habs or Leafs/Isles tickets, but according to ticketmaster EVERY FRIGGIN GAME is sold out? Or have they just not gone on sale yet. I'm confused.

Bergeron! I actually miss the guy. He had some serious size/defensive problems for the Oilers but always showed hints of brilliance. I think the Lowe got hosed almost giving him away to the Isles. I'm glad the Oilers got Souray. Yes, he was -28 but so was most of the team. Montreal was the worst 5 on5 team in the NHL last year. Koivu and Ryder had horrible minus numbers as well.

Red Wings have released shots of their "new" Rebok-powered jerseys. Thankfully, they have preserved the classic look. Not crazy about the white flap appearance of the bottom, but still, classic remains classy. Hope the Habs keep their similarly-done.

Boston still has my vote for the perfect jersey redesign so far.

boyeredgepd4.jpg

boyeredge2ot3.jpg

Thanks for posting the new Isles' jersey. That other jersey wasn't so bad. You should've shown the fishstick jersey. That was worse.

So any Canadians out there jazzed up about the Super Series against Russia?

Canada won 4-2 this morning and things should heat up from here on in. I'm most interested in seeing this John Tavares kid who everyone is drooling over.

It obviously won't compare with the 1972 series but it's a great lead-in to the NHL season which begins in a month! :hyper:

Breaking news:

Toronto, Canada - A seven year old boy was at the center of a Toronto courtroom drama yesterday when he challenged a court ruling over who should have custody of him.

The boy has a history of being beaten by his parents and the judge initially awarded custody to his aunt, in keeping with the child custody law and regulations requiring that family unity be maintained to the
degree possible.

The boy surprised the court when he proclaimed that his aunt beat him more than his parents and he adamantly refused to live with her. When the judge suggested that he live with his grandparents, the boy cried out that they also beat him.

After considering the remainder of the immediate family and learning that domestic violence was apparently a way of life among them, the judge took
the unprecedented step of allowing the boy to propose who should have custody of him.

After two recesses to check legal references and confer with child welfare officials, the judge granted temporary custody to the Toronto Maple Leafs, whom the boy firmly believes are not capable of beating anyone.

:wink:

BonoManiac said:
So any Canadians out there jazzed up about the Super Series against Russia?

I thought I was the only one...

Another big win this morning. Man, this team has got some beautiful offensive-zone plays. That game could have been 7-0 if we could have finished more chances.

No, I'm excited about it, especially the last four games which take place in Western Canada, where the crowds are typically amazing for the World Jrs.

Good win today. :up:

Less than two weeks until training camps open. :up:

Vancouver Canucks unveiled their new logo this afternoon. These were the only pictures I could find:

newlogo.jpg

newlogo2.jpg

I'm not totally sure what I think of them yet. They're definitely not as bad as I was worried they would be.

You can't really see it in these pictures, but there's a large green stripe at the bottom, which is kinda meh. I don't think "Vancouver" was really necessary, because I think we know what city we live in.

Overall I'm okay with the design - I'll have to find some better pictures. I watched the unveiling online, and the stupid video kept buffering, so I hardly got to see any of it.

ETA - found a couple better pictures:

newlogo3.jpg

newlogo4.jpg

newlogo5.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure what I think, either. Still hoping the Habs give their jerseys a similar treatment Boston got.

sweater04082907bkf7.jpg

I kind of like the new jerseys...a bit like soccer uniforms. They're certainly a vast improvement on past Vancouver designs. :sick:

1080865imgjo9.jpg

canucks.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom