NHL: Lets make a deal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cujo

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
NHL: Let's Make A Deal

Well, it's almost officially the off-season for the NHL, but trading and bartering has already begun. Feel free to post any off-season scuttlebutt, trade-talk, or draft discussions...

This afternoon:

The LA Kings have acquired Roman Cechmanek from the Philadelphia Flyers for Draft Pick considerations. An interesting trade, which leaves Felix Potvin open for Free Agency as of July 1st. Maybe the Avalanche might want the Frenchman, or the Canucks might possibly ask for the Cat to come back. :wink:

Comments?

Insiders (Avsgirl :wink:) think that the Avs will stick with Aebischer for the moment... it's his position to lose.

If the Canucks have that many problems (polls) to resolve before next season... things might be pretty grim.

Haha, yeah, I saw that a while ago. I'm not even going to bother -- what a nightmare! The Canucks are just fine the way they are. They've got the best team chemistry in the league. Why mess with it? They're all best friends, and the core have played together for a few years now.

As for who Colorado are going to get, I'm going out on a limb here, so don't laugh, but I honestly think they're going to try and land Dominik Hasek. You think I'm joking, but I'm not. I think Hasek is eccentric enough to consider coming back. The Avalanche have the money to throw at him with Roy's absense (8.5 mill at disposal), and I think Hasek could be bored enough with retirement, that he may just do it. Questions, comments, cries of outtrage?

Last edited:
Thank you Angel... :up:

Your previous comment hurt. Goaltending is not the problem in Detroit... but that's a discussion for another day.

cujo said:
Insiders (Avsgirl :wink:) think that the Avs will stick with Aebischer for the moment... it's his position to lose.

LOL, I wish I was a real insider!

Well, according to the Denver Post, Lacroix *has* been looking around for veteran goalies for weeks--since he, of course, had advance knowledge. :rolleyes: And he does so love to pull off his so called "deals." My deep suspicions are that he'll be looking for a big name to try and repeat that legendary Montreal trade. I will be *shocked* if he actually signs a free agent, since it's always trades with him.

But then again, he will want to parade his young talent, at least as trade bait, so I can see him giving it to Aebischer or Phil Suave, who's apparently been in Hershey since birth to take the job.

I just don't want him to dump half the Avs for a veteran goalie, so I'm really rooting for Aebischer. I really think he can do a good job--other than Giguere, who we all know is probably going to stay with the Ducks, no one leaps out at me as a money goaltender. :shrug: And who really knows with Giguere, next season he could be pretty ordinary. So, why not Aebischer?

speaking of scuttlebutt

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
*raises hand

Um, cry of outrage here. :scream: Don't we get Hasek if he decides to come back? [/wishful thinking now that we have one big-name goalie; we couldn't take on two]

hasek is in legal trouble in the czech republic where, during an inline game, he managed to fracture another mans spine and rearrange his face.
police are investigating.
hasek was surprised the man was injured but he said he was sorry.

the stars are going to lose derian hatcher. their new owner has ordered the status quo be maintained for team salaries and hatcher is a free agent looking for a large raise.

my guess (in this order): toronto (IF they can sort themselves out), NYR, NYI, detroit.

Last edited:
Okay, I'm a :reject: Bruins fan, but just bear with me here...

Supposedly the Bruins are shopping Samsonov around. Because, you know, the "having only one productive line" thing really worked out well this year, they're going to experiment with that and see if they can get knocked out even earlier this coming year, maybe even miss the playoffs entirely! They do need a goalie though...and a new coach, and a new gm, a new owner'd be nice, too...

I think I killed this thread :( Lo siento.

*clears throat* I hope the Avs WILL give Aebischer a chance. The league seems to be going a little bit musical goalies in the last few offseasons, with guys who are (in my opinion) past their primes being signed to inflated contracts. It would be neat to see someone new get a chance to shine.

*cough*Alex Auld*cough* He's their "goalie of the future". The Canucks should trade Clouts and Sopel, maybe throw in a 2nd round pick, for Samsanov. That would give them that added piece of offence they want add to add to the 2nd line. (I realize I'm dreaming, but a man can dream, right?)

Thanks for the thread April! :up:
Great idea.

The Wild will probably look the same come September/October. It will be interesting to see what happens in Denver. There are quite a few good goalies out there - it is weird to see Checkmanek be the first one dealt. I don't think is that great (insert Checkmanek into one of those photos with a beachball).

Who else is going to make some big changes? I bet NYR continue to strive towards being the New York Yankees on ice. :down:

Latest Roy replacement news. I wonder if Liar, Liar Lacroix can be believed. Granato doesn't usually play that game though:

"As an organization, let's make one thing clear - you don't replace the caliber of player Patrick Roy represents. So our intention as an organization is not to find another Patrick Roy, but to give a chance to the young players that have been playing in our organization for many years," Lacroix said Wednesday. "David is one of them. We have young goalies on our farm team, too, that are great. As an organization, to be consistent like we've always tried to be now for nine years, it's going to be no different. We're going to give each of them a chance to show what they have and to be themselves and to meet the challenge."

Felix Potvin, arguably the best unrestricted free agent available, appears to be done in Los Angeles after the Kings on Wednesday acquired Roman Cechmanek from Philadelphia. But Avs coach Tony Granato said he does not expect the team to add a veteran through free agency or a trade.

"Patrick wasn't going to play forever, so we knew eventually someone was going to have to come into the net for the Colorado Avalanche to be a starter, and right now that's going to be David," Granato said

Felix Potvin's best days appear to be behind him, anyway. Vancouver had him not too long ago, and we all know how that turned out. What a nightmare! I felt sorry for him, though. He played a bit better in LA, but he's too inconsistent. He's similar to Dan Cloutier in many ways, actually, though Cloutier usually plays quite consistenly during the regular season. Tyler Moss and Alex Auld will be the netminder's of Vancouver's future though. Anyway, Colorado would never sign Potvin. That would be asking for trouble at this point in my opinion. They should get Nikolai Khabibulin from Tampa Bay, as he's had a bit of a falling out with the Lightening. He's probably the best of the bunch anyway. Biron of Buffalo is available, too. He might be the guy.

Michael Griffiths said:
But aren't the Ducks proving they don't need to?

Ya ya ya.......

But...it takes soooo much more to win succesfully that way. It is a crap shoot. People will always try to buy teams.

And, yes, talent is sooo ten years ago. Defence (notice the non-U.S. spelling) is the way to go. :sexywink:

complete sincerity!!!!

I really do like Canada.
I have enjoyed every trip I have made there - and would move there (to some of the larger cities) without even thinking about it.

I actually can't wait to make it up your way (B.C.).

The people I worked with in Minneapolis knew that if they found a newspaper on the Regina inbond, they would give it to me. :shrug:

Actually, I think Canada uses both spellings of defence/defense... depending on context (same with practice and practise, being noun or verb).

Anyway, enough with grammar garbage:

That's a good possibility of Khabibulin going to COL, but PHI might not be happy with their current situation... I smell bidding war.

I don't see Boston unloading Samsonov any time soon... but that organization needs some major shaking up. Hire Ted Nolan! He's great with developing young teams... just give him a job already.

Speaking of defense, it looks like Colorado will be dumping Bryan Marchment (hurrah!) and Greg deVries. (double hurrah!) Both are free agents. I wonder where they'll end up?

Derek Morris is also coming up for a new contract, but Lacroix is not going to let him go, not after giving up Drury.

Forsberg and Tanguay also have to be signed to new contracts, which means less money for a goalie. Which is why Lacroix is gonna go with Aebischer, he's cheap.

Back
Top Bottom