NHL: Lets make a deal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Canada's best chance for a cup??? :laugh: Keep in mind, the reason they've been past the first round a couple times is because it's the Eastern Conference. Pretty much everyone knows the Canucks are a better team, and if they were in the East, they would feast (like that rhyme?). Conversely, if Toronto played in the West, they would rest (admittedly not as good as the first rhyme).

Toronto used to be in the West... in their first season in the Eastern Conference, they had the best record against the Western Conference of ANY team.

The Leafs are now hitting a valley in terms of success... but I was talking about before this year (if you had read what I said). If you hail the Sens so highly, then wouldn't T.O. be even higher? They've disposed of them with ease every year... and even swept OTT.

The only team they didn't beat consistently was the Devils... and NJ has been a contender each year... winning on a few occassions. The Leafs WERE definitely better than the Canucks and Sens... I used to watch Toronto religiously, and believe me I know that they could have handled a Western team in the Final just as well as an Ottawa or New Jersey. You don't even watch the Eastern Conference... and your record for picking teams just goes to show your incompetency.

Keep on rhyming... because it might come in handy in the next few days.

:sexywink:

Your memory seems to be very short term... consisting of only Canuck fantasies, and Wayne Gretzky Champagne dreams. Michael Griffiths: Lifestyles of the Ignoramus.

:wink:

You've been jerseyed again,
what will you do my friend?
uppercut, hook, or jab?...
or a reply full of blab?

The latter, most definitely!

And your record of picking teams is better??? And how would you know if I watch the Eastern Conference or not? In fact, I've told you recently my friend loves the Leafs, and I have in fact watched them quite a few times this past year (with or without him, I might add)...or did you think I was lying and dismissed it automatically?

And you think Toronto has hit a "valley"? If losing 6-0 in game 7 and having a team personnel implosion is hitting a "valley", I'd hate to think what going down hill or hitting a crater would be. I'd hate to be the one to try and get that locker room back on the same page after the fallout of this season.

Last edited:
To get away from the bickering for a second, I forgot to mention Bob Gainey's appointment as GM of the Montreal Canadiens... Andre Savard has graciously stepped aside, to stay on as assistant GM.

Good move by the Habs... I thought for sure the Leafs would get him under contract though.

Hopefully Bob can work under the constraints of a budget... unlike the oodles of dough he had under Tom "I signed A-rod" Hicks.

Good Luck Habs

Michael Griffiths said:
And you think Toronto has hit a "valley"? If losing 6-0 in game 7 and having a team personnel implosion is hitting a "valley", I'd hate to think what going down hill or hitting a crater would be. I'd hate to be the one to try and get that locker room back on the same page after the fallout of this season.

By valley I meant hard times... as in they probably won't return to form (Canada's team) for quite a few years. They played like crap the past season... but like I say, they WERE Canada's team prior to this season. Now it's between the Canucks and the Sens... but not for long.

PS- I did assume... hmm, that makes me and ass... and Michael a...

Help me out on this one. :sexywink:

PSS- My record of picking teams is a lot better... in my hockey pool I picked New Jersey and Ottawa in the East (NJ winning)... The West was screwed up though... after DET lost I was bang on the rest of the way.

Touch?.

I was referring to the teams you *wanted* to win (ie, the Leafs, or in my case, the Canucks). In anycase, the point that you've conveniently drifted away from is that it doesn't matter if the Leafs did reasonably well in the playoffs until this year. Most people in the West would rather root for the Oilers or the Canucks (regardless of how well they do) than the Leafs. The Leafs would have to make it to the 7th game of the finals before the whole country would start cheering. See, there you go: the Sens have them beat by an entire round! :wink:

Michael Griffiths said:
The Leafs would have to make it to the 7th game of the finals before the whole country would start cheering. See, there you go: the Sens have them beat by an entire round! :wink:

There's no doubt that a lot of the country has a grudge against the Leafs and their success... but I think our definition of Canada's team is different. I see it as the team that best represents "us"... and most logically that would be the team that wins consistently. Two Conference Finals in 4 years ain't bad... until Vancouver and Ottawa can move further, or be playoff performers year after year... I think that the "title" is up for grabs.

Usually though, most civil Canadian hockey fans (what? they exist?) will root for the Leafs if they are the last Canadian playoff team around. Which has been the case for quite sometime... maybe a changing of the guard is in order?

Haven't heard anything there...

J.D on HNIC Hot Stove was talking about Bowman coming out of retirement to Coach the Rangez... and Jagr. Yikes... they might actually have a team next year.

Hasek coming out of retirement? Boo. His skills were definitely declining... and it's sad to see "great" players come back to less than par for the course (see Michael Jordan and Guy Lafleur).

Exactly, PopAngel...that's why Wayne would never come out of retirement - he's too classy :wink:

PS: Cujo, Chizip, and others who were dissing me earlier this thread: Did I not say that Hasek could come of retirement to play goal (for the Avalanche)? And you all scoffed at the very suggestion! hahahaha. Michael rules. :wink:

Only a dumbass would say "I rule".

He's not gonna do it... I just report rumors, gossip, and scuttlebutt. Do not forsake my name in bold letters... for I shall tweak you. With my aluminum wood hybrid stick.

Michael most certainly does not rule.

i rule

Actually I'll have to correct you, my citation-deficient numb skull.

If I was quoting you, I would have said "I rule"- Michael Griffiths, or something to that effect.

Besides, you obviously didn't read the whole reply.

Lindros for Jagr?

What do you think?

Cujo, you disappoint me, tsk tsk. You didn't get it! I said, "Michael rules", while you stated that I said, "I rule", which, as you can tell, is not the same wordage and therefore simply a paraphrase rather than a quote. :wink:

I would like to see Lindros for Jagr...it would simply be a salery dump on the Capitals part. But just watch: despite having Jagr, Bure, Kovelev, Leatch, Nedved, etc, etc, on the same team, they'll still miss the playoffs...unless of course, they get Scotty Bowman, but we all know that won't happen since he's coming to Vancouver :wink:

If you want I could get into a discussion with you about grammar, mechanics, and the proper format for quotations. But, we've already established that you are a dumbass... you've only further affirmed that argument. Peace in the Pacific Northwest.

:sexywink:

The Rangers will make the playoffs next year. As will Calgary.

And we've affirmed you're an expert in using the phrase "dumbass" and other derogatory terms. It takes brains to come up with such sparkling insults! :sexywink:

As for Calgary making the playoffs, that would be awesome if they did, but it won't happen. Not with the rise of several teams in the Western Conference this season (ie, Minnesota, Anaheim...). Calgary is pretty much a farm team, ala The Penguins, which is sad to see, but it's the truth for now anyway. I hope they can turn it around and prove me wrong, mind you.

Michael Griffiths said:
And we've affirmed you're an expert in using the phrase "dumbass" and other derogatory terms. It takes brains to come up with such sparkling insults! :sexywink:
And we've also come to release you have a supreme inferiority complex. Someone is testy about their intelligence.
As for Calgary making the playoffs, that would be awesome if they did, but it won't happen. Not with the rise of several teams in the Western Conference this season (ie, Minnesota, Anaheim...). Calgary is pretty much a farm team, ala The Penguins, which is sad to see, but it's the truth for now anyway. I hope they can turn it around and prove me wrong, mind you.
It's very limiting to call them a farm team... they have some very good forwards and a decent back end. If Turek can go back to second runner-up Vezina form, they might just squeak into the last spot. Unfortunately it might be at the expense of teams like Phoenix and Edmonton.

The Flames actually came close... remember 2 years ago, they were 1st in the league until late November. 2 months on top is great... but what they need is consistency.

PS- Thanks for coming out Chizzer.

Back
Top Bottom