NHL: Lets make a deal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This also just in...

Patrick Roy and Curtis Joseph both will be signing with the Colorado Avalanche, provided they meet several criteria, all of which, if followed, must be approved by all 29 teams in the league, pending the anticipated restructuring of the collective bargaining agreement, as well as the approval of the Detroit Redwings and Bob Goodnow. The team has been in talks for the last 48 hours, and for the most part, the deal has been worked out, most of the criteria having been met. There is only one sticking point: There would be a provision written into the contract under subsection 37, paragragh 19 of the NHL rule book, which would call for no using the bathroom while on the team plane. Experts surmise that since Patrick Roy was a member of the mile high club in Colorado (which of course is the "mile high city"), Curtis Joseph would create a perception of "one uping" Roy by becoming a member on the plane as well, therebye, effectively, becoming a member of the 2 mile high club. Management and players alike fear this would create friction in the locker room. Gary Bettman is looking into the issue...and a commitee is looking into creating a plane without lavatories on flight.

Will keep you posted on further details...

Michael Griffiths said:

It's a sickening thought that those figures seem extremely low to me now. In fact, they're bottom feader figures. Imagine being such a deprived soul of a poor hockey player making a measly pittance of a million bucks a year for something you love to do? We should all gather around and coddle him in our thoughts. :rolleyes:

its true. marchment was a 'steal' for the leafs @ 2 million for a year.

kobayashi said:
i think i am missing something.
haseks return wasnt unforeseeable. thats all i mean. if cujo had played the way he could have all year then none of this would be an issue and hasek wouldnt be back with the team. the team certainly didnt help him out either.

i think the wings will be better for it.

I entirely agree. You have redeemed yourself.

As for Marchment... well, I guess the Leafs are out of the running for GQ Team of the Year. Again.

:sexywink:

Nice to see the Canucks finally sign one of their own.

And, what Chizip said :up:

:drool: there's a preseason game on friday september 17th...wild v. canucks

mmmm....hockey is coming soon....

i really ought to go to that game

Breaking news:

Sergei Fedorov has reportedly signed a 4 year, $40 million contract with Anaheim.

One has to scratch their head on this one. Anaheim asked Kariya to take a paycut and did not offer him a qualifying offer after his $10 million per season salery ended. They said they could not afford to pay any player that much money. Next, Kariya signs with a different team (Colorado) for only $1.2 per year. Anaheim GM Brian Murray (I think that's his name) feels slighted by Kariya for not taking a paycut in Anaheim but for taking such a drastic one for a different team, and publicly says so. Next, he goes and signs Fedorov for the exact amount he would not pay Kariya. Suddenly, and mysteriously, Anaheim has plenty of money to throw around to ageing superstars.

This reeks of a kind of one-upmanship between the Kariya and the Ducks. Kind of an "I'll show you," and a "No, *I'll* show you," sort of thing--which, I might add, is very bad business. That's why I'm probably totally off base...but you have to wonder...

Last edited:
Looks like Detroit will be looking to close a deal to acquire some big time forwards pretty soon. Might involve trading a goaltender methinks.

Yes, I agree. However, I don't think Cujo is going to St. Louis, simply because they, like Colorado, are also a conference rival...though Detroit might be forced into making a deal with just about anyone at this point.

I know he's not going to Vancouver. Burke just resigned Cloutes, and claims that Cujo hasn't proven himself to be better than him (Burke is always a card). The story goes that Cujo is $5.5 million more for the same quality of goaltender.

I think Burke is all talk, no action. He still hasn't signed one damn forward! This was supposed to be the summer for shopping. I guess everyone bought it hook, line and sinker. He must be taking lessons from the Leaf management over the years. :sexywink:

Well, Whitney is still available, but why hasn't he signed him already!!! And he totally missed the boat on Prospal. Same with deVries. This is getting ridiculous. Our big news is always a re-signing of a Tommy Salo or a Dan Cloutier. Not exactly front page headlines...

PopAngel -- I really feel your anguish, the broken heart behind the severing between you (along with fellow Redwing fans) and Sergei. It's painful to see. I'm here for you :hug:

This reminds me of the time Wayne left Edmonton...but instead of 99 tears, it's 91 tears...and a little love, from Russia. Wot a pity.

The Avs traded Nederost and Messier to the Florida Panthers for Peter Worrell.

Another one of Lacroix's head scratching deals..."we needed a fighter" but why the hell did they get rid of Scott Parker? Parker at least had some offensive talent and was a great guy, very popular. Worrell is simply a goon--off ice as well as on, it seems.

I don't get the Avs going after dirty players every season--first Kasparitis, then Marchment, now Worrell. It didn't work out before, it's not going to work again.

The Avs give up another young talent in Nederost--admittedly, he hadn't really blossomed but I think deserved a little more time. We could have gotten some decent forward, anyways. Eric Messier...not one of my favorites, but I always gave him credit for alway being a guy to take one for the team. Note to future Avs grinders--looks like it's not worth sacrificing your facial structure after all! Messier gets shipped off, but wimps like Serge Aubin get to stay.

Michael Griffiths said:
This reeks of a kind of one-upmanship between the Kariya and the Ducks. Kind of an "I'll show you," and a "No, *I'll* show you," sort of thing--which, I might add, is very bad business. That's why I'm probably totally off base...but you have to wonder...

I thought the same thing when I heard it...I don't think it's that far off base.

Michael Griffiths said:
PopAngel -- I really feel your anguish, the broken heart behind the severing between you (along with fellow Redwing fans) and Sergei. It's painful to see. I'm here for you :hug:

This reminds me of the time Wayne left Edmonton...but instead of 99 tears, it's 91 tears...and a little love, from Russia. Wot a pity.

Wot a pity, indeed. :tsk: Thanks for your support, btw. :hug: :)

What kills me is we were offering him 4 years at $40 million and they gave him 5. He wanted out and didn't care what he had to do to have that happen.

Looks like Kenny Holland had better start doing some heavy duty shopping.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

A few members made a request to have this stuck for the off-season. If people had requested for similar threads about the NBA/NFL off-seasons to be stuck, those would have been honored, also.

I still don't get it. I'm not just talking about this forum but other as well! I get the ones that are about "rules" but topics of other subject gets posted just seems like favortism! *shrug* I mean this is a *sports* forum not just a Hockey forum! I personally don't see the need to "stick" any post that's not actually "important" :shrug:
Tha't's just how I feel. :crack:

Mrs. Vedder said:

I still don't get it. I'm not just talking about this forum but other as well! I get the ones that are about "rules" but topics of other subject gets posted just seems like favortism! *shrug* I mean this is a *sports* forum not just a Hockey forum! I personally don't see the need to "stick" any post that's not actually "important" :shrug:
Tha't's just how I feel. :crack:

Generally the non-rule stuck threads are topics that are popular and in which case would inspire a lot of related threads. In the interest of condensation, we stick them for a short time so people know to post in those threads instead of creating whole new ones on the same or similar subject/s.

If you have any other questions regarding this, please feel free to PM/email myself or any of the other mods here. :)

Yeah yeah.. they all get "merged"
No forget it. I was just voicing my opinion I just get sick of seeing the same thread get stuck for months! Not a "short period" of time as you mentioned. I was just wondering how long before it gets unstuck and another get's stuck? If your taking requests... then there's will be too many and we don't want all these "stick" threads on the board now do we? :eyebrow:

BLAH! Whatever! I guess we will see this thread until Hockey starts up again, right? :angel:

Last edited:
Well how about we unstick it for a while and see how it goes? If its still a popular thread, it wont die off. It it does, then it will show it wasn't necessary to keep it up here anyway.
April is only doing her job :) We dont make the rules really, which is not palming off responsibility, we do react to requests though.
If they conflict, as in this case, we will try to accommodate everyone.

Its all good.
:)

Well now that Detroit has diluted its forward talent, they're obviously in the works of making a big deal. I still say Kariya and Selanne aren't safe... a little three-way team action is a definite possibility.

As to the importance of this thread. It isn't important. In fact, you could argue that none of the threads posted have any relevance to anything. But that would be a pointless discussion... there happens to be a lot of members who enjoy hockey, and also enjoy conversations about it. Just because we do, it doesn't suppress the rights of others to start other sports focused threads. I haven't seen one detrimental remark towards any other of the core sports discussed, and by no means is this thread exclusive to hardcore fans. If you have a problem with this thread, or anyone who posts in it... you can PM me, and we'll chat about any sport you like. That is, if you deem it important.

Yes, very well put. :up:

It looks as thought we'll be getting our own sub forum, so perhaps next season we won't bother anyone.

I'll miss the old place though.

can we get a sticky thread for the off season of the arena football league?

kobayashi said:
:sexywink:

i dont see why colorado would trade away the two best value superstars in the league.

Well if they don't have either of them under heavy contracts with long-term obligations... you could assume that it wouldn't be a burden to lose them.

Anyway.

IMPORTANT NEWS

The New York Rangers have decided to hold their training camp in Calgary at the Olympic Oval... a perfect vantage point for me to sit and heckle them while I work. I might even sharpen a few of their skates.

:up:

It will be like an Endless Summer... only instead of surfing there's hockey. And instead of low budget filming, there will be high volume screaming of "Hey Lindros, you SUCK!!!".

Great stuff.

:yes:

Back
Top Bottom