NHL: Lets make a deal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's right folks, you heard the Hatcher deal here first.

:up:

Booo... Hatcher wears panties. In a related story, so does Modano. And Beckham I guess.

:down:

:eek: :shocked:

I don't know what to say, except that I'm totally shocked.

Of course you can move to Colorado, Michael, LOL.

Still, I can't help but think that Lacroix's got something sneaky up his sleeve and that all is not as cool as it appears. I wonder if it has something to with certain goalies being available...for trade.

Wise thinking, AvsGirl...you should be a GM! Some of Lacroix's ruthless thinking is rubbing off on you. That's very good point. Remember we talked about how Detroit would never trade Joseph to Colorado? Well, now Detroit has a very pressing need since Fedorov made the statement he won't be back. This puts Lacroix in a postion of power, since he has Kariya and Salanne as assets - two assets Detroit would love to own. Should be very interesting...

I could be a GM. :hmm:

Actually, I wasn't even thinking of a deal with Detroit, although that is an interesting possibility. Who was it who floated the theory (was it cujo himself?) that Joesph could sign with an Eastern team, would would then trade him to Colorado? That's what I was picturing. But a deal with Detroit--could they finally do it? (I've always been of the opinion Holland would gladly deal with the Avs and that it's Lacroix who's being the dork, but I don't really know much about Red Wings management.)

I don't see Lacroix trading the big fish he just landed--even now, he's chuckling over how he thinks he "tricked" the other GM's. I think he would trade some young Avs, like usually does...I just don't like to think who. Call me attached.

cujo said:
That's right folks, you heard the Hatcher deal here first.

:up:

Booo... Hatcher wears panties. In a related story, so does Modano. And Beckham I guess.

Booo... :down:

This changes my friendly feelings towards the Red Wings.

I can't believe TSN actually said the Avs were courting Hatcher. A deal with Detroit is more likely!

AvsGirl, yeah, that's a good point. Upon thinking further, there is no way the Avs would trade Kariya or Selanne to Detroit or anyone else. They could perhaps trade Hejduk or Tanguay for Cujo (fulfilling needs for both teams), perhaps involving younger players too...but I agree: it would more likely end up being a 3 way deal with some other team.

Michael Griffiths said:
AvsGirl, yeah, that's a good point. Upon thinking further, there is no way the Avs would trade Kariya or Selanne to Detroit or anyone else. They could perhaps trade Hejduk or Tanguay for Cujo (fulfilling needs for both teams), perhaps involving younger players too...but I agree: it would more likely end up being a 3 way deal with some other team.

Yep.

The only way he's going to the Avalanche is through another team. Bitter rivals don't trade with each other. Unless out of sheer desperation, and right now Pierre is holding all the cards. Watch Out.

The Annual Cujo Sweepstakes has begun.

Yay!!!

If they traded Hejduk...that would be lunacy! Sheer lunacy!

I don't want to see Tanguay traded either, I think it would be a big mistake. I'd deal Reinprecht, but I think everyone knows he's not all he is hyped to be.

Hopefully, no defensemen...

I hate thinking about trades. It's stressful being an Avs fan.

AvsGirl41 said:
I'd deal Reinprecht, but I think everyone knows he's not all he is hyped to be.

That already happened this morning in a threesome trade:

To Buffalo: Chris Drury, Steve Begin

To Calgary: Steve Reinprecht, Rhett Warrener

To Colorado: Buffalo's 1st Round Pick from 2002.

Why did you trade Drury Mr. Button? Even as a non-Flames fan I want to throw something at you.

:shocked:

The Avalanche should update their website if they make trades! Reinprecht, wow.

Poor Drury. What is Calgary thinking? He's such a good player in the clutch. But he is a really weird guy, so maybe that's why he's getting bounced around.

cujo said:

That already happened this morning in a threesome trade:

To Buffalo: Chris Drury, Steve Begin

To Calgary: Steve Reinprecht, Rhett Warrener

To Colorado: Buffalo's 1st Round Pick from 2002.

Why did you trade Drury Mr. Button? Even as a non-Flames fan I want to throw something at you.

didnt button get fired?
and yes that was a silly trade.

Brian Burke is such a moron...well, not all the time, but this is one of the times he is. He's *so* full of sour grapes for not getting Kariya, so he called him disloyal, etc, for signing only a 1 year deal with Colorado after Anaheim paid him so handsomely for so many years, and treated him so well. Like Brian Burke wouldn't have signed Paul Kariya for 1.2 million???? And like Pierre Lacroix didn't jump at the same deal? Yeah, right. It's clearly a deal that makes sense for both parties. Burke is pissed cause he left a message for Paul 2 days ago, and Baizley (his agent) called back saying he was instructed to call Colorado...and the deal soon done. Want to see some disloyalty, Brian? Take a look at what you're doing with Trent Klatt.

Michael Griffiths said:
Brian Burke is such a moron...well, not all the time, but this is one of the times he is. He's *so* full of sour grapes for not getting Kariya, so he called him disloyal, etc, for signing only a 1 year deal with Colorado after Anaheim paid him so handsomely for so many years, and treated him so well. Like Brian Burke wouldn't have signed Paul Kariya for 1.2 million???? And like Pierre Lacroix didn't jump at the same deal? Yeah, right. It's clearly a deal that makes sense for both parties. Burke is pissed cause he left a message for Paul 2 days ago, and Baizley (his agent) called back saying he was instructed to call Colorado...and the deal soon done. Want to see some disloyalty, Brian? Take a look at what you're doing with Trent Klatt.

no kidding! i couldnt have said this better myself. trent klatt is everything the canucks need in a player, and theyre treating him like crap. resign him already!

kobayashi said:

didnt button get fired?
and yes that was a silly trade.

Yes, but I still blame him for everything. I'm used to saying bad job Button. Guess I'll have to get used to a new name... bad job [insert next GM].

Sutter is the interim-GM I believe, but for all intents and purposes it's still Button's regime... as his crap is still backing up the system.

i agree, calgary is a horrible franchise. they cant even pretend to have gotten a fair deal.

am i the only one who thinks buffalo is starting to look like a much better team since last years trade deadline?

Red Ships of Scalla-Festa said:
am i the only one who thinks buffalo is starting to look like a much better team since last years trade deadline?

Anyone with Satan in the line-up is dangerous. :up:

I'd agree with that though... now that the financial issues have been resolved with the new ownership, it seems they're in a buying mode now. If Biron can return to the form he had a few years back... they might stand a chance. Buffalo has one of the best goaltending development programs... aside from Montreal and Dallas.

On a side note, it's amazing how many long-term deals have been made recently with the labor strike looming. Some teams like Detroit could be screwed... come 2004.

cujo said:

On a side note, it's amazing how many long-term deals have been made recently with the labor strike looming. Some teams like Detroit could be screwed... come 2004.

we can only hope

The Rangers still have Sather, and if I'm not mistaken he is overqualified. Since he's been behind the bench they've been better... but it's still not good enough for playoff positioning. Maybe this year Glen.

You know, I really liked Hasek, but this whole thing has made me lose alot of respect for him. You don't just come out of retirement a mere year later. It's just not right. :angry:

Am I the only one who thinks so?

AvsGirl41 said:
You know, I really liked Hasek, but this whole thing has made me lose alot of respect for him. You don't just come out of retirement a mere year later. It's just not right. :angry:

Am I the only one who thinks so?

It's like the entire Michael Jordan thing. Just decide then stick with it.

Also, not only has he come out of retirement little more than a year later, what really irks me is that he drags his decisions out so that the fans and media analyze things to death. :banghead:

Exactly, LMPA!

This year "energized" him to play again, why didn't he just take a season off? :shrug: Forsberg did it and it didn't cause nearly the kind of ruckus that Hasek has.

I think he just wants the press--with all the attention goalies have gotten this season (from Giguere's rise to fame to Roy's retirement), poor Dominik just felt left out.

kobayashi said:
i disagree. he retired and then he changed his mind. what's wrong with that?

Flexibility. The fact that he refuses to play for anyone but Detroit. Hasek made his bed and now he has to sleep in it...

Don't let your Toronto bias enter into it, I know I've already put enough subjectivity in this issue. As a business decision, it makes sense for the Wings to take Hasek... as he is willing to take a short-term deal. A deal which is more malleable than Curtis' 4 year (including option) contract. That puts the Wings in a more favorable position come the day of CBA expiration.

However, that's not what you said... you asked what was wrong with him coming out of retirement? Frankly it's not his team anymore and not his decision to make. If he wants to play in the league again, he needs to find a bed with a vacancy.

Put that in your pipe Kobe!

:sexywink:

See, Wayne would have never have made a come back ala Jordan, Lemieux, and Hasek. That's because he's got something called class :sexywink:

I'm such an obnoxious bastard! :wink:

To be honest, Mario has a lot of class...I could see his reasons for coming back...especially since his young son had never seen him play.

Back
Top Bottom