NFL Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i tend to never believe it when a player blames the rulebook or the officiating for the reason they lost or played poorly or whatever else happened.

the only exception i can think of is andres galarraga's perfect game and the blown call at the end of that. even in a case like the buffalo-dallas stanley cup "no goal" where the game was decided on a bad call, my reaction is "well if you didn't want to lose on a bad call in overtime you had every opportunity to score more goals during regulation and then you would never have been in that position in the first place."

Last edited:
True, but for what reason should we not believe the player when he says this happened because of the rule? Surely he is upset and wants someone to blame, I get that, but nonetheless, it’s hard to understand what he was thinking when making that tackle.
I'm sure the years of wear and tear had nothing to do with the ACL pop. It's all cause of the rule.

I wasn’t really ever claiming this.

Back on the “don’t step on the white markings” case, a perfectly healthy person probably wouldn’t experience an injury either.
But that's kinda Dave's point. You can get killed walking your doggie.

He planted because of the rule, sure. But if the knee was ready to pop, it was likely going to pop regardless. Only incredibly violent hits to the knee could possibly cause a tear from nothing. So the rule may have caused the knee to go when it went, but it didn't cause the injury - which was likely to occur regardless.

Ok, but I can just as easily continue to use that point against itself. You can get killed walking your doggie. You can catch salmonella from chicken and die. But I’m sure your odds of death via salmonella are pretty low, and we can certainly stop you from catching salmonella by following proper culinary sanitation techniques and cooking the chicken properly.

Just because there’s an assumed risk does not mean you accept it. You can mitigate it. That’s how we got here in the first place. QBs take bad hits. Let’s try to protect them... great. I’m not going to go ahead and say exactly what you said though, it doesn’t matter if the QB was made of paper. There’s an optimal rule set that protects both players.

Roughing the passer is historically called when a player hits the QB late after he delivers a pass, correct.

The Matthews play yesterday Smith did not throw the ball, he was sacked, he still had the ball. Matthews form tackled him. What the F is he supposed to do, let up and allow Smith to escape and then get a throw off?
If Smith had run across the line of scrimmage and then Matthews tackles him in the same manner would that be roughing the passer?

Roughing the passer is historically called when a player hits the QB late after he delivers a pass, correct.

The Matthews play yesterday Smith did not throw the ball, he was sacked, he still had the ball. Matthews form tackled him. What the F is he supposed to do, let up and allow Smith to escape and then get a throw off?
If Smith had run across the line of scrimmage and then Matthews tackles him in the same manner would that be roughing the passer?

He's not allowed to fall on him with his full body weight, apparently. So everything up until the point where he didn't phase through Smith was legal.

player A:
11 TD, 6 INT, 71.8 rating, 6.32 YPA, 33 sacks taken.

player B:
8 TD, 11 INT, 74.2 rating, 6.28 YPA, 33 sacks taken.

player A:
tim tebow's last 11 starts as a pro quarterback

player B:
dak prescott's last 11 starts as a pro quarterback

tenor.gif

the eagles' defensive secondary is laughably bad. they're lucky the rest of the nfc east is so terrible that they'll still win the division, but i'm definitely not putting money on them to repeat :|

Any truth to the rumors about Mitch Trubisky being very good and very good looking and warm hearted??

Mason Crosby has single-handedly lost the game for the Packers.

4 missed FG's 1 missed XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom