NFL Superbowl thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
phanan said:

The Colts D gave up 27 points to the Patriots, so I wouldn't say they are doing that great.

Remember 7 of those were scored on the OFFENSE, and much of the field position was the fault of the special teams. Also there was that lucky fumble recovery by the lineman, and the 'push out' :rolleyes: The main thing is, when they had to do it, they stopped them. It was good enough.

WTF is it with 'pushouts' anyway? No matter who it is or what team he's on, it's lame. What, he'd have scored IF he wasn't pushed out? But he WAS! What's the point of the coverage? That's almost as bad as saying 'well he WOULD have gone all the way IF he wasn't tackled back at the 20' :tsk:

AtomicBono said:

if the Colts don't win this I'll cry.

Me too. I cried when they won, I couldn't believe it!

Still, if it's as suspenseful as the Pats game I'll need a heart transplant by the end.

Same here, football is hard on my heart! It beats weird the whole game, and the more worrysome it is the worse it gets. I can totally see myself dropping dead of heart failure during a game someday.

have to say it's nice livin in indy right now :D

I bet it is! I'm jealous. Please tell us more about it! I was hoping the city would be pumped for this.:hyper:

U2Kitten said:

Remember 7 of those were scored on the OFFENSE, and much of the field position was the fault of the special teams. Also there was that lucky fumble recovery by the lineman, and the 'push out' :rolleyes: The main thing is, when they had to do it, they stopped them. It was good enough.

WTF is it with 'pushouts' anyway? No matter who it is or what team he's on, it's lame. What, he'd have scored IF he wasn't pushed out? But he WAS! What's the point of the coverage? That's almost as bad as saying 'well he WOULD have gone all the way IF he wasn't tackled back at the 20' :tsk:

an airbore player has the right to come down in bounds, and if it is deemed that he would have come down in bounds if not for the push it is considered a catch.

the difference of course is that a player who's pushed out of bounds can't help himself, where as a player who is tackled could at least attempt to avoid the tackle.

wether ya think it's a silly rule or not, it is the rule, and he was clearly pushed out on that touchdown.

oh, and the pats scored 34 points... minus seven equals, well, you can figure it out.

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:

Well, to be fair, there were lucky fumble recoveries by linemen on both teams. On the Colts' recovery, Jeff Saturday was clearly a few inches outside the end zone when he recovered the ball.

It would have been third down had the Patriots challenged the call, and there is a small chance the Pats could have held the Colts to fewer than 7 points on that possession.

U2Kitten said:

I bet it is! I'm jealous. Please tell us more about it! I was hoping the city would be pumped for this.:hyper:

well of course Colts merchandise has popped up everywhere...I mean you always see Colts stuff during football season, but now every place has AFC Champs shirts, and you see a lot more people wearing Colts stuff than usual.

Monday of course all anyone could talk about was the game... (ironically, Roosevelt Colvin graduated from my high school. how he managed to go pro playing for such a shitty football team I do not know, we must have actually won games back then :wink: ). next week is gonna be Colts spirit week, we're decorating the school and everything. I'm pretty sure Friday no one will want to do anything, and attendance will likely be low the following Monday if the Colts win...some private schools have already officially cancelled school :lol:

Atomic Bono, I hope your school will close in celebration the day after! :yes: :happy:

I'm glad the people there are enjoying it, they should! It's been a long time coming and they deserve it!

I want to acknowledge the LACK of trolling and trash talking by Bears fans on Colts boards. There was way too much of it before the Ravens and Patriots games by fans of those teams (then of course they all crawled off and hid after the games.) What few Bears fans I do see posting are very gracious, say they only want a good game and may the best team on that day win. Maybe it's because (from what I've seen) most Bear fans are also Cub fans, and know how it is to suffer with your team for so many years. They aren't assholes. (nor are the ones here)

U2Kitten said:
I want to acknowledge the LACK of trolling and trash talking by Bears fans on Colts boards. There was way too much of it before the Ravens and Patriots games by fans of those teams (then of course they all crawled off and hid after the games.)

please... there are plenty of pat fans still posting daily, taking their licks and getting over it. and those pat fans will continue to post in this section of the forum year 'round.

you, however, completely disapeared from this section of the forum after the colts lost last year and only re-appeared at playoff time.

pot calling the kettle black, me thinks.

and no, this is not me picking on you. this is me offering a logical rebuttle to your statement.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

please... there are plenty of pat fans still posting daily, taking their licks and getting over it. and those pat fans will continue to post in this section of the forum year 'round.

I was talking about COLTS BOARDS, not even this site!

you, however, completely disapeared from this section of the forum after the colts lost last year and only re-appeared at playoff time

I always leave when the season is over because I don't really care much about any sport besides football. I did pop in briefly for the NCAA tourney but chickened out and left. I have been afraid of some of you guys messing with me, I really don't like it. And the reason I only reappeared late in the season is because, if you hadn't noticed, I took a long hiatus from this board for several reasons other than football, there were 2 or 3 months there I didn't post AT ALL, not even in PLEBA, I wasn't only hiding from this place.

That is my logical rebuttal because it's true.

Hey! Half of Bear fans are Sock fans!!

U2Kitten said:
Maybe it's because (from what I've seen) most Bear fans are also Cub fans, and know how it is to suffer with your team for so many years. They aren't assholes. (nor are the ones here)

You don't know too many Cubs fans! :happy:

Got Philk? said:

I guess I don't understand your point. As NSW said, and I said, how can this team that averaged 25 points per game and the most yards per game of ANY team in the NFL be only a good offense. Are you saying their inconsistant? Did they play crappy teams?

They DID play in the NFC, where a .500 record gets you in the playoffs. You be the judge.

Anyway, the most important thing to realize is that they were the SAINTS. I grew up as fan of the Saints, and they are the absolute best at getting your hopes up and then ripping your guts out. They beat everyone they shouldn't beat and no one they should. The entire history of the franchise is a joke. I kept telling people all season long not to get to happy because the Saints were going to break their hearts. The franchise has no real experience in the playoffs, and it showed when they cracked for the Bears. I was pulling for the Bears, BTW, and thought you guys would win....but a lot of the margin of victory was the Saints shooting their own feet off.

As far as the Colts, I respect your defense but you must also realize that we already beat the best defense in the NFL. We are very capable of competing with the Bears defense. If we have to play "Buc ball" as TD calls it, we can do it and we can win. Just ask the Ravens. If it goes the shootout route, ask Tom Brady and the Patriots what that is like. Grossman's had the highest and the lowest QB ratings this year. I saw a lot to be afraid of when they get rolling, but a lot of the passes he completed against the Saints would be picked off by the Colts' secondary. Just food for thought.

As for what scares me about the Bears, Hester (? kick returner?) gives me nightmares. We have had trouble with special teams all year long. Our best bet is probably if he hangs out with Tank Johnson and gets arrested the night before the Super Bowl. :wink:

I respect the Bears and am looking forward to a great Super Bowl. Hopefully it will be a great game with good officiating, no injuries, and just plain old battle it out ball game. I won't complain if Indy runs away with it, though. LOL

Last edited:
Got Philk? said:
I loved Colvin when he played for the Bears. I hated letting him go...

Off topic so I apologize. Do you guys enjoy Terry Bradshaw? Not as a player. I mean on Fox. Does he bug you as much as he bugs me? Just wondering.

He went completely off the deep end at the Super Bowl the time Paul McCartney played. During the pregame show, Bradshaw and someone else were both attempting to sing "A Hard Day's Night".

Please stop making fun of my Cubs on this thread...I can handle it in the baseball thread, but when it starts up in 2 threads, it's just too much...:sad:

U2Kitten said:
I want to acknowledge the LACK of trolling and trash talking by Bears fans on Colts boards. There was way too much of it before the Ravens and Patriots games by fans of those teams (then of course they all crawled off and hid after the games.) What few Bears fans I do see posting are very gracious, say they only want a good game and may the best team on that day win. Maybe it's because (from what I've seen) most Bear fans are also Cub fans, and know how it is to suffer with your team for so many years. They aren't assholes. (nor are the ones here)

Ok fine. I've tried to be nice in this forum b/c I don't hate the colts. But if you honestly want to know what I'm thinking. I'm thinking Pey-Pey is going to choke. I think the Bears' Defense is going to get to him and he will throw 2-3 int's. This is our year baby! Colt fans might as well just stay in Indy so as not to get ridiculed when they lose to the "worst 13-3 team to make the playoffs". :rolleyes:

:D Is that better? :wink:

Some day you Sox fans will feel us Cub's fan's wrath...ok...no, that will never happen. :sad:

Last edited:
I like when Cub and White Sox fans go at each other, makes me feel better about the whole "I love the Yankees and so hate 2 different teams pretty badly".

Phil, I will not make another anti-Cub comment until at least opening day. That is my promise to you. But, I like your attempt at trash talk. :)

As for the Saints getting your hopes and then not delivering, I always thought the franchise was usually so bad that there were no hopes to get up. There was that stretch of a few years where you had a sick defense, all those great linebackers, and you looked like legit contenders...then a year or two under Haslett, before things came undone, but not a lot else. Maybe I'm wrong. Either way, the Saints have not cornered the market on getting fans hopes up only to have them dashed. Also, NFC or not, you still have to line up and play, and it's not like every NFC team was putting up 25 points a game, so, I still feel like the Saints had a very good offense.

I wonder what the Indy D would do if Hester was simply on the field for an offensive snap or two. If they faked an end around to him, the whole D would bite, I bet. Cowher would find a way to use a guy like that.

U2Kitten said:

Colts suck!!

U2Kitten I am totally kidding I just couldn't resist:wink:

I can't wait to see Prince:rockon:

Got Philk? said:
Please stop making fun of my Cubs on this thread...I can handle it in the baseball thread, but when it starts up in 2 threads, it's just too much...:sad:

I am not making fun of the Cubs. I hate baseball in general because it's so dull IMO compared to foot and basket, but I have always felt sorry for the Cubs. That thing where the fan stole the ball and ruined the game and they lost must have been right up there with most devastating sports moments ever.

Ok fine. I've tried to be nice in this forum b/c I don't hate the colts. But if you honestly want to know what I'm thinking. I'm thinking Pey-Pey is going to choke. I think the Bears' Defense is going to get to him and he will throw 2-3 int's. This is our year baby! Colt fans might as well just stay in Indy so as not to get ridiculed when they lose to the "worst 13-3 team to make the playoffs". :rolleyes:

:D Is that better? :wink:

I fear he'll choke too, all I can do is hope he won't, because IF they don't make any mistakes, the Colts are the better team. I have nothing against the Bears, but as for 'our year', this may be the Colts' last chance. The Bears have a young team and many more chances. So let us have this one!

And once again, to clarify, my comment about trolling, trash talking fans was about COLTS BOARDS, not this site. I mean Ravens and Pats fans joined just to troll, and made a lot of aliases and shot off their mouths, then disappeared when they lost. Bears fans don't seem to be doing that.

U2Kitten said:

I am not making fun of the Cubs. I hate baseball in general because it's so dull IMO compared to foot and basket, but I have always felt sorry for the Cubs. That thing where the fan stole the ball and ruined the game and they lost must have been right up there with most devastating sports moments ever.

I'm the one making fun of the Cubs, but, no more. At least until April. :)

NBA Basketball is probably the dullest sport out there right now, outside of watching the Suns or Mavs. Same sets, same plays, yawn, same PA announcers having epileptic fits all game long. I always respect people's opinions on sports they like or dislike, but can never understand people thinking baseball is boring, since it's far from boring to me. But, such is life. Funny thing is, I LOVE football, but that sport has a lot of dead time....plays last anywhere from 5-15 seconds or so, then you get 35-40 seconds of the huddle....but we get replay after replay and so that occupies the dead time.

I don't see Manning choking in this game. Does that make me crazy?

And, if he has a bad game and Bears fans call it a choke, does that sell your Defense short? Can't he have a bad game not because he choked, but because the Bears D was too good that day? That's a whole other thread, probably...what defines a choke. Like, when the Red Sox came back against the Yankees in 2004, Sox fans called it the biggest choke in sports history, and maybe it was...but if the Yanks came back from being down 3-0, I'd just be like "The Yankees just engineered the biggest comeback in sports history", because that's the way I prefer to see something like that. It's just perspective I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom