NFL Superbowl thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
phillyfan26 said:

Well, the Saints do not really have a very good offense. They only beat the Eagles because the Eagles defense absolutely sucks. You saw Deuce just running over people. Not because of him. Because the Eagles are about as bad a tackling team as has ever made the playoffs.

The Saints play a good D, they do not do well.

The Saints averaged 25.8 points per game, that was 5th in the NFL. Imagine how many points per game they'd put up if they had a good offense.

BonoManiac said:
Guys I haven't had a chance to peruse the whole thread so I don't know if this has been brought up already.

What do you think of the two week spread between conference championship games and the Super Bowl? I find it maddening and annoying. It's too long a wait. There's too much sustained hype for my taste.

Play the game already!

agreed

if the Colts don't win this I'll cry. The Pats are a far better team than the Bears so if the Colts lose it will just seem so wrong... I do think the Bears will put up a good fight though. I kind of hope it's not a blowout because that'd be boring. Still, if it's as suspenseful as the Pats game I'll need a heart transplant by the end.

also what was with Caldwell's eyes in that game, he was scary lookin' :huh: maybe I'd look like that too if I missed passes like that :wink:

have to say it's nice livin in indy right now :D

No spoken words said:

The Saints averaged 25.8 points per game, that was 5th in the NFL. Imagine how many points per game they'd put up if they had a good offense.

I meant not a "very good offense", which I actually said but didn't emphasize. They are good, just not very good. That was the point I was trying to make. And also Joe Horn was out vs. Philly, the example I used.

Reggie Bush is going to be so good in the next couple of years (once he fully learns the NFL game) it's scary. New Orleans is going to have a good team for the next couple of years, I think. :yikes:

phillyfan26 said:

I meant not a "very good offense", which I actually said but didn't emphasize. They are good, just not very good. That was the point I was trying to make. And also Joe Horn was out vs. Philly, the example I used.

I understand, but still don't understand how a team averages over 25 points a game but is not very good? If you're saying they racked up lots of points against porous defenses, or something akin to that, that's another story. But, I think that when you're 5th in the league in scoring, you probably have a very good offense. Good point on Horn, though. They're better with him than without...he missed 6 regular season games, wonder how the Saints fared in those contests.

Agreed on Bush. He's scary fast and as he learns the pro game he should only improve. Still, can never see him as a 20-25 carries per game back, but maybe i'm wrong on that one, cos I thought the same thing about Tiki.

Screwtape2 said:

The Bears have three weaknesses:
1. The D can give up deep passes in the secondary. The Colts wideouts can get past the safeties.

Actually, I'm more worried about the Bears D giving up the short pass.

And wow, from all the talk here, the Bears shouldn't even show up on the 4th since the Colts obviously have it in the bag.

phillyfan26 said:

I guess I don't understand your point. As NSW said, and I said, how can this team that averaged 25 points per game and the most yards per game of ANY team in the NFL be only a good offense. Are you saying their inconsistant? Did they play crappy teams?

And WHA, don't worry. You said the same thing before the Bears/Saints game and look how that turned out.

I say keep the negativity coming. I feel it only fuels my Bears even more. An unhappy Urlacher is just what the super bowl ordered. :mad:

so....moving on from the "the Bear does not have a chance" theme......

Wondering what folks think of the new coaches: Kiffin and Tomlin?

Good choices? (I know there is at least one Steel fan out there who is ready to comment).

And I am pretty sure Raiders fans do not know how to put complete sentences together, so, Nevermind on Kiffin.

Last edited:
I am very pleased with Tomlin. I'm not saying I am sure he's gonna be a success, because nobody can predict that sort of thing with a 1st time coach....but I have faith in the Steelers oraganization, so I have faith in the new coach. Plus, everything I've read about him has been very positive. And, I like young and hungry coaches, like a Mangini and whatnot...did not want to see a retread, not that the Steelers would go down that path. My only concern is that on offense, there will be a new O-coordinator, and a new QB coach, probably, so it could take some time for Ben to adjust to a new system. Should also be interesting to see if Tomlin installs a 4-3, which he uses because he is a Cover 2 guy....Steelers of course have been a 3-4 team for a long time now, and LeBeau, who is staying as D Coordinator, basically intvented the zone blitzing scheme the Steelers use out of the 3-4. Anyway, I'm pleased with it. I'll leave the Kiffin comments to others....just hope for his sake that Davis leaves him alone and lets him coach his team how he wants.

And, just want to say that of course the Bears have a chance, WHA and Phil. I'll believe Peyton can win 2 big games in a row when I see it.

WildHoneyAlways said:

Actually, I'm more worried about the Bears D giving up the short pass.

And wow, from all the talk here, the Bears shouldn't even show up on the 4th since the Colts obviously have it in the bag.

Any given Sunday...:shrug:

But really though you have to admit the Bears are pretty big underdogs here.

DaveC said:

Any given Sunday...:shrug:

But really though you have to admit the Bears are pretty big underdogs here.

Well the underdog Pats beat the "Greatest Show on Turf" so of course anything can happen. I think the Bears will make a game of it, not sure if they'll be able to close the deal, but I don't see them rolling over for Indy either. And I actually think Rex will have a decent game, the ability is there, he's just a bit inconsistent...no way he's the worst Superbowl QB ever, Dilfer & Hostetler off the top of my head are worse.

Hey, let's get ahead of ourselves! If the Colts win, they could have a dynasty. Peyton finally gets over the hump and finally gets a winner's mentality. With this all around confidence, he could take the Colts to the Promised Land a few more times.

And then there's the Bears.

He really has to win though doesn't he...Peyton I mean. You hate to make it like that, but if he doesn't win it this year, regardless of what I think of Chicago, they are the major underdogs in the media's eyes.

If he doesn't win it this year, I will honestly feel sorry for the man. Though, I cannot say I honestly believe this will be his last chance.

I'd feel badly if he lost. If the Bears win, it'll be an upset. The Colts defense is playing very well and if Peyton is Peyton, the Bears will have a long evening.

MrPryck2U said:
Hey, let's get ahead of ourselves! If the Colts win, they could have a dynasty. Peyton finally gets over the hump and finally gets a winner's mentality. With this all around confidence, he could take the Colts to the Promised Land a few more times.

And then there's the Bears.
There are some who theorize the Colts have to win this year cause it'll be their last shot.
They are screwed with the salary cap next season and have some big time defensive free agents including Freeney and June.
So I wouldn't declare them a dynasty just yet.

MrPryck2U said:
I'd feel badly if he lost. If the Bears win, it'll be an upset. The Colts defense is playing very well and if Peyton is Peyton, the Bears will have a long evening.

The Colts D gave up 27 points to the Patriots, so I wouldn't say they are doing that great.

MrPryck2U said:

Maybe I'll be wrong, but I'm looking at it from a totally opposite view. I think if the Bear's D plays like it can, Peyton could be in for a very long evening.

I didn't say that the Colts defense was playing great. I said they were playing well. No one is going to mistake them for the 85 Bears or the 86 Giants. Considering most of the focus is on the Colts offense, the defense has been doing the job and then some. Bottom Line: They're in the Super Bowl.
Rex Grossman will have to play perfect football in order to bring another Championship to Chi-town.

well people DO compare today's bears to the 85 bears and the 86 giants... even the 90 ravens. they are a good defense, but monsters of the midway they are not. urlacher's a hell of a player, but dick butkus he is not, even though he's made out to be just that. they are a very good defense... not a great, all time defense like many make them out to be.

the baltimore ravens put up better defensive numbers than the bears while playing in a vastly superior conference... and the colts beat them, on the road even.

all signs point to a blow out except for one... second half of the pat game aside, dungy and peyton have histories of choking in the big spot. if they did, indeed, slay that dragon with the comeback over new england, then i don't think chicago has a chance. meaning... if peyton throws for 300+ yards, 3+ TD's and 1 or fewer interceptions, which is your typical good peyton game, then i don't believe chicago has the offensive firepower to compete.

the one thing they do have going for them is hester... indy's kick return defense has been awful all year. so they would need a few big returns from hester, ala desmond howard a few years back. if it's a game going into the 4th, anything's possible. i just don't think it will be.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

the one thing they do have going for them is hester... indy's kick return defense has been awful all year. so they would need a few big returns from hester, ala desmond howard a few years back. if it's a game going into the 4th, anything's possible. i just don't think it will be.

This is a very good point, actually. The Patriots ran all over the Colts on special teams, and while they were consistent all year, they weren't like Chicago was.

Hester might indeed be the X factor in this game.

I usually try to stay away from comparing a team to another team from the past. It's a different game right now anyway. I would never say Urlacher is Butkus. Or even Singletary for that matter. But he is incredible.

The thing with this defense that is so amazing is speed. Did you see Urlacher cover Reggie Bush in that game? I know, throw right back at me the 88 yard reception by Bush. But even then, did any of you think Urlacher just might catch him? I would have peed my pants.

Two things just keep popping into my head. 1. Peyton Manning has a lot of pressure on him. I'm not sure he'll get those 3 td's.
2. Rex doesn't need to play a perfect game. He needs to play a mistake free game, but not a over cautious game. He will have to go for some of those long balls. And definately need to hit(not overthrow) some crossing or out routes like we saw a little bit in the 2nd half of last game.

I think a huge part of this game in particular, will come down to field position. In that sense, you are absolutely right Headache in your special teams point. But also it means we cannot continue to go 1,2,3 and out b/c over time, that field position is going to creep forward little by little. And that's when Peyton will be most comfortable. And that is when he'll get those td's.

i just wanna add that in no way am i saying the bears have no chance... i've done that enough times to have it come back and bite me in the ass.

with 2 weeks of prep for chicago, 2 weeks of having people talk about peyton and not the bears D, 2 weeks of pressure building back up on dungy and pey pey's necks... anything can certainly happen. the 1990 bills were certainly better than the giants, and we know what happened there. (ironicly enough i do believe there was only one week between championship weekend and the super bowl)

if they played 20 times, i think the colts would go, eh, 15-5. but the're not playing 20 times. they're just playing once.

the colts ARE the better team. they SHOULD win. doesn't mean they will. i'd certainly have a chuckle if they were to lose.

I think this game will come down of who peyton plays and how the bears defense will react to it.

if rex just plays decent and the bears defence will be sharp and play their "A" game then I think it will be very hard on peyton to throw a great pass. Im very scared rex will do horrible, but if he plays just at a decent level then I will have good comfort.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
the 1990 bills were certainly better than the giants, and we know what happened there. (ironicly enough i do believe there was only one week between championship weekend and the super bowl)
You are correct, no bye week that year.

And this is a good comparison, this year's Super Bowl combatants do somewhat resemble the Super Bowl XXV combatants a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom