NFL 2014/2015 - Super Bowl Postmortem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think that it's one of those things that mattered more when teams relied on the run more and when running was more associated with victory. I'm sure time of possession meant more 20 years ago than it does now. I just think there are many, many metrics in today's NFL that have to do with victory than time of possession. It's not as dumb a stat as a pitcher's win, but it's not much better than that.

Most casual fans think TOP means a great deal. It's a stat regularly used on broadcasts. I hear it talked about all the time.

Let's see how the last five Super Bowl champions finished in time of possession.

2014 Patriots - 23rd
2013 Seahawks - 14th
2012 Ravens - 29th
2011 Giants - 23rd
2010 Packers - 7th

Why, it's almost as if there is no correlation between time of possession and success at all!

There are factors at play here besides an emphasis on passing. I'm curious to see what the turnover margin, red zone percentage and average starting field position looked like for these teams.

TOP, in a vacuum, doesn't guarantee success by any means, but a team is usually inordinately good in other areas if they're getting by without it.

Last edited:
There are factors at play here besides an emphasis on passing. I'm curious to see what the turnover margin, red zone percentage and average starting field position looked like for these teams.

TOP, in a vacuum, doesn't guarantee success by any means, but a team is usually inordinately good in other areas if they're getting by without it.

Agreed. And TOP can also be a useful tool for teams playing against a high powered offense, particularly a team with a top QB.

Most casual fans think TOP means a great deal. It's a stat regularly used on broadcasts. I hear it talked about all the time.

Let's see how the last five Super Bowl champions finished in time of possession.

2014 Patriots - 23rd
2013 Seahawks - 14th
2012 Ravens - 29th
2011 Giants - 23rd
2010 Packers - 7th

Why, it's almost as if there is no correlation between time of possession and success at all!

8 of top 10 teams in TOP made the playoffs

8 of bottom 10 teams missed playoffs

8 of top 10 teams in TOP made the playoffs

8 of bottom 10 teams missed the playoffs

9 of top 10 teams in TOP made the playoffs

8 of bottom 10 teams missed the playoffs

Why, it's almost as if there's a pretty big correlation and success rate after all! Golly gee!

There a distinct difference between not being a top 10 team in time of possession vs having a blatant disregard for it like Chip Kelly does.

But I get all my opinions from watching TV in my sweats with a bag of chips, so I'm probably wrong.

It's not like they have only 15 minutes of possession per game. It's around 26 minutes.

I'd like headache in a suitcase a lot more if he would change his profile picture.

Speaking of that -- I think Mannings should team up. Peyton takes regular season. Eli playoffs. Win/win.

Also, I can't remember, who wont he Super Bowl this year? Was it the Eagles? I know Philadelphia won the Democratic convention in 2016... but I don't think they won the Super Bowl....

TOP in the playoffs was ZERO for The Eagles.

Bold prediction. The Jacksonville Jaguars will not be in the Super Bowl next year. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14dejy9.png

You seem to since you posted even more than headache. Philly fans are always the angriest. It's okay.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I'm quite certain that he doesn't much care about your opinion, either of his avatar or himself.

I'm quite certain headache can defend himself. In fact, he took a pic of baba booey and posted it in retaliation.

Are you his bestie Dave?

You seem to since you posted even more than headache. Philly fans are always the angriest. It's okay.
What does the team I root for's success level in 2014 have to do with the merits of debating football strategy?

Also, playing the "angry Philly fan" card is adorable. Well done.

I wasn't against the debate. I was trying to add humor. And my team won this year so I'm the asshole Boston fan FYI.

I agree most stats are bullshit. Comeback wins? You have to be behind to achieve that stat for instance.

Re: chip kelly. So far he seems exciting , but end result wasn't as good as Reid. I know he lacks a QB. Still, the only stat that matters is wins. Can't argue that.

For the record angriest fans I've seen in person were Oakland raiders fans. 4 fans were arrested in the bar I was at after jay fielder qb of Miami in 2001 scored a late running td I believe.

We can't all be sarcastic. This is crazy. Meet you at big gay ice cream to hash it out. I'll look for the guy wearing a manning face shirt.

We can't all be sarcastic. This is crazy. Meet you at big gay ice cream to hash it out. I'll look for the guy wearing a manning face shirt.

That's quite the coincidence. I'm about to dive into a big bowl of ice cream. Gay ice cream!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom