NFL 2014/2015 - Super Bowl Postmortem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep. Brady is a MUCH better Playoff QB. You're correct :wink:.

And Peyton is 179-77 for a 0.699 win pct. in the regular season
Brady is 160-47 for a 0.773 win pct. in the regular season so, only place where it counts Brady better there too. :wink:
Regular Season Quarterback Win/Loss Records - The Football Database

I won't mention Brady being 21-8 for a 0.724 win pct. in the playoffs to Peyton's 11-13 record for a 0.458 win pct.

Postseason Quarterback Win/Loss Records - The Football Database

cause that's just embarrassing for the retractable roof crowd.

too_soon__-_imgur.0.gif

this is either brutal or hilarious

Devastating video shows Seahawks fans watching end of Super Bowl | For The Win

you can advance it to about 7 minutes

It's crazy. Even though I was pro Patriots, I had a similar WTF reaction. I remember being really pissed at Belichek for not taking a time out and half looking forward to shoving it back in a couple people's faces who were ripping McCarthy 2 weeks ago. :D

But yeah, that INT, probably one of the top 10, maybe 5 Super Bowl plays of all time. It's hard to think of another play that had the kind of game changing impact that this play had and it might be hard to find one that beats it due to the amount of time left on the clock and the fact that Lynch would have most likely walked into the end zone no matter what the matchups looked like on the other side of the ball.

I appreciate Pete Carroll not throwing his offensive coordinator under the bus and all, but his explanations don't make any sense.

Well, that happens when your OC makes a bizarre play call and you try to cover for him (as opposed to sending your player up the flagpole. Even though Lockette did kind of wuss out on the catch).

That's why Pete Carroll is a head coach and Darrell Bevell isn't.

Also, there's not necessarily anything wrong with passing (time might expire if you try to run 3 times in 26 seconds with only one TO). But there are so many better options than a one-man pass pattern into traffic. Play-action. Rollout run-pass option. Heck, on the acutal play Lynch was semi-open in the left flat with only one man to beat/run over.

You only pass there if you absolutely have to. They didn't. And you NEVER throw a slant into traffic at the goal line in that situation.

On that second down, totally agree. But if they somehow don't get in, you figure there will only be about 12 seconds left - it can take a while to finalize a play at the goal line - so Seattle most likely would have had to use their last timeout then. With only about 12 seconds remaining, would have been tough to go with two consecutive running plays there.

On that second down, totally agree. But if they somehow don't get in, you figure there will only be about 12 seconds left - it can take a while to finalize a play at the goal line - so Seattle most likely would have had to use their last timeout then. With only about 12 seconds remaining, would have been tough to go with two consecutive running plays there.

For me, the main thing is that run or pass, Lynch has to be involved somehow on every play.

the 2nd down play HAS to be a run. if he doesn't get in, you take your last time out and you figure out what you want to do based on how much time is left.

the idiot play call has taken the heat off of two people who probably deserve a little more heat...

First Wilson... the play call was bad, but he still could have had a touchdown with a better throw.

second is Belichick... who really should have taken his own timeout earlier in the play clock to conserve time for Brady to get them into field goal range.

Clearly Belichick didn't call the time out because he already knew that Goodell had settled it up with Wilson and Lockette to throw the interception.

PS: I hate snow.

Me too. We got more snow out here this weekend than we did last weekend, but since no news channels lost their minds about it and no one declared it a state of emergency, no one felt the need to plow or sand or anything.

I laughed at the dead kid commercial when I looked it up on YouTube (I heard as much about it as I did about the game), because I am a terrible person. Or because it was so cheesy and having insurance = your kids won't die is hilariously flawed logic.

the 2nd down play HAS to be a run. if he doesn't get in, you take your last time out and you figure out what you want to do based on how much time is left.

the idiot play call has taken the heat off of two people who probably deserve a little more heat...

First Wilson... the play call was bad, but he still could have had a touchdown with a better throw.

second is Belichick... who really should have taken his own timeout earlier in the play clock to conserve time for Brady to get them into field goal range.

Yep.

Me too. We got more snow out here this weekend than we did last weekend, but since no news channels lost their minds about it and no one declared it a state of emergency, no one felt the need to plow or sand or anything.

I laughed at the dead kid commercial when I looked it up on YouTube (I heard as much about it as I did about the game), because I am a terrible person. Or because it was so cheesy and having insurance = your kids won't die is hilariously flawed logic.

I sure didn't mind the snow today. Office closed, so I had time to recover from last night.

Not using a timeout was definitely the wrong move by Belichick, but it is funny that it's probably why they won, since Carroll suddenly was worrying about how to make sure he'd have three shots with only one timeout. If Belichick takes a timeout, that increases the likelihood that second down play is a run instead.

As a Pats fan, let me just say.... ha ha ha ha ha. We won. The giants losses still sting, but winning again feels amazing. First Super Bowl Win and U2 in 2001 was best feeling... until yesterday. Love live the great Katy Perry.

Fun fact -- Lynch was 1 for 5 on runs from that distance this season. 3 times he had and he finally scored against Giants. Belichick not calling TO was what won the game in a way -- so turns out to be great call. He said he liked the D we were in and he was right since we got an INT. And the INT was much more improbable than people give it credit for. It was a hell of a D play and most of the time, it's just knocked down, then Seattle has another shot.

He probably just doesn't want to admit that he was trolling Carroll, and that it worked.

But I think it's plausible that he did like the setup, he was aware of the stat mentioned above, and he didn't want to give Carroll and his staff time to get a fresh look at the formations and possibly improve their plan.

A risky move, but more than possible that it was a brilliant one as opposed to just a lucky, reckless gamble.

What no one wants to talk about is that Brady had just marched down the field twice for two late touchdowns with a nearly perfect precision, but expecting him to do it again with just 45 seconds left, even for just a field goal setup, may have been an even bigger gamble.

Let's again address one of the greatest fallacies in all of sports...

There are no bad calls that become good calls after the fact. There aren't good calls that become bad calls after the fact.

There's the right call, and the wrong call. That's it.

You can split kings and get two aces... it's still a dumb fucking decision.

I think Bill Belichick is the greatest coach in the history of football, one of the greatest coaches in sports history, period, and is a certifiable genius. But to say that he sat there and thought that if he let time run out Pete Carroll would get confused, over think things and make a bad play call is just a bit more credit than I'm willing to give.

I do agree that if the timeout had been taken Carroll likely would have gone with the run (even though his BS explanation after the game would lead you to believe otherwise). So let's chalk this up as a bad call by Belichick that just happened to work. The man may be a mad genius, but he's not omnipotent.

As for Brady getting into field goal range in 45 seconds with a timeout? Certainly not a lock, but not exactly a huge gamble. The Pats have a great return man in Edelman, and Brady really wouldn't have had to go very far to get into field goal range.

Never got to see if it would have happened or not, but I don't think anyone would have been stunned.

A lot of fucking stupid decisions dominoed into one another in order to set up the grandaddy of them all. The dumbest decision in Super Bowl history.

It's going to take an unprecedented series of events to top this. A ridiculous first half-ending call that emboldened a coach to up the stupidity level later on, Harmon jumping over Kearse and going out of bounds instead of attacking a live ball that ultimately wound up being caught, Belichick letting the clock wind down with timeouts in his pocket and, finally, throwing a slant route into traffic at the goal line. The decision was unbelievable, but context made it even worse. None of this would have happened if people had been thinking straight. Thankfully, they weren't, so we were privy to a classic game.

Last edited:
As a neutral fan, that was probably the most fun I've had watching any Super Bowl. The Pats-Rams Super Bowl was good, but I was also 11-years-old and didn't really have an appreciation for it at the time. Even more the case for Rams-Titans.

Originally Posted by Hewson

Here's a few easy winners:
Quote:
WILL BOTH TEAMS MAKE 33 YARD OR LONGER FIELD GOALS?

**(If no Field Goal is made, no is the winner)

YES +140

NO -160
Take yes

Quote:
TOM BRADY (NE) FIRST RUSHING ATTEMPT

**(If No Rush Attempt-Under is the winner)

OVER 1.5 -140

UNDER 1.5 +120
Take under, odds are it'll be a sneak or a kneel down

Quote:
WILL FIRST KICKOFF BY STEPHEN GOSTKOWSKI (NE) RESULT IN A TOUCHBACK?

YES -140

NO +120
Take yes, small juice to lay for an easy winner inside.

Quote:
TOTAL RUSHING YARDS BY: SHANE VEREEN (NE)

**(If no Rushing Attempt--Under is the winner)

OVER 9.5 -110

UNDER 9.5 -110
Over
Quote:
WILL JULIAN EDELMAN (NE) SCORE A TOUCHDOWN?

YES +165

NO -185
Yes
Quote:
TOTAL PASS ATTEMPTS BY: RUSSELL WILSON (SEA)

**(If no Pass Attempts--Under is the winner)

OVER 28.5 -110

UNDER 28.5 -110
Under
Quote:
TOTAL RUSHING YARDS BY: ROBERT TURBIN (SEA)

**(If no Rushing Attempt--Under is the winner)

OVER 13.5 -110

UNDER 13.5 -110
Over

Quote:
WILL THE SEAHAWKS GET A RUSHING TOUCHDOWN IN THE FIRST HALF?

YES +145

NO -165
Yes
Quote:
TOTAL QB SACKS BY: SEAHAWKS DEFENSE

OVER 1.5 +110

UNDER 1.5 -130
Over
Quote:
WHO WILL HAVE MORE:

**(Rockets/Pistons--January 31, 2015) Prop closes at 4:40 pm Pacific

ROCKETS+PISTONS 3 POINT FG'S ATTEMPTED -24.5 -110

JERMAINE KEARSE (SEA) RECEIVING YARDS +24.5 -110
Kearse...this one looks too easy

Just decided to check on how these panned out:

Both teams a 33 FG, yes: Loss
Brady 1st rush under 1.5 yds win ( a kneel down for a 1 yd loss as predicted)
Gostkowski's 1st kickoff a touchback yes win(all his kickoffs were touchbacks)
Vereen over 9.5 rush yds win 13 yds
Edelman yes to score a TD win
Under 28.5 pass attempts Wilson win 21 attempts
Over 13.5 rush yds Turbin win 21 yds
Seahawks yes for a rush TD in 1st half win Lynch in 2nd Q
Over 1.5 sacks by Seahawks loss 1 sack
Kearse Rec yds +24.5 vs 3 PT attempts Hou/Det win45 yds, 57 3 pointers (won thanks to the miracle catch)

So 8 wins and 2 losses.

If someone had put 100 bucks on each: a $730 profit (Too bad I gave up gambling)

The only problem I have with the "Dumb Call" argument is that if the play had been executed correctly by the players on the field, then suddenly the dumb call becomes a gutsy or even good call. I see this in football all the time where everyone jumps on the coach first but ultimately it came down to execution. If Kearse had drove his blocking assignment a little further into the end zone, then Lockett is wide open and Seattle scores.

Basically what I'm saying is that it's not as black and white as the general public is making it out to be.

With that said, in hindsight, yeah they should have run the ball. Just wanted to point out the other side of the argument.

The whole point we are trying to make is that it's not a gutsy or good call if they execute it. It's a dumb call that worked.

Back
Top Bottom