NFL 2013 Thread Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Butter Chicken ‏@MrButterChicken 50s

Orton noticed there was only one set of footprints. "That was when I carried you," said Romo. "Over there is where we fell down the well."

ku-xlarge.gif

Well, basically, here's how things shake down for me.

By order of preference, teams I wouldn't mind seeing in the Super Bowl :

AFC
Broncos
Bengals
Chiefs
San Diego

NFC
Packers
Seattle
Philly

So, basically, there's a pretty decent chance of me getting a pretty great match-up, this year, which I know is important to you all.

Sign Jay and draft defense. Huge bummer but, if we had to lose, I'm glad at least that our man played his ass off. Jay isn't the problem. It's the defense that needs as much work as possible in the offseason. Sign Jay and draft defense. If we somehow fuck it up and don't bring him back, I'll be extremely disappointed.

It was a good game. Good for FOX, exciting for the casual/impartial observer. Congrats to the Packers. Congrats mikal and bono_212. You guys are really fucking awful fans and you should feel bad, but legitimate congrats.

afcwc_zpsd069576d.png

nicked from AdvancedNFLStats.com, where I think they were using the probabilities from the then-current game state

Foles would be average without that awesome OL. Every time he's had pressure in his face tonight, he's fallen to pieces, culminating in that clutch sack-fumble. Just like with RG3 last year, he's in a great system that's allowing him to play to his strengths. Lucky for him, he's got legit protection to ensure he'll stay upright. Must be nice.

It's a bit easier to protect a quarterback when you always know where he is.

Sent from my carrier pigeon using U2 Interference mobile app

Foles would be average without that awesome OL. Every time he's had pressure in his face tonight, he's fallen to pieces, culminating in that clutch sack-fumble. Just like with RG3 last year, he's in a great system that's allowing him to play to his strengths. Lucky for him, he's got legit protection to ensure he'll stay upright. Must be nice.
This post reads like you haven't seen Foles deal with pressure in other games. He usually moves around the pocket well to avoid pressure, better than you'd expect for someone who's not particularly fast. He looked a little off last night, as did the defensive line. Part of that is because Dallas did a good job putting on pressure. His inconsistency, which should be expected in his second year, is his biggest weakness right now. But when he's on, he's terrific. People criticized his arm strength, but I think he's proven he's got a solid arm. If he gets more consistent, literally the only knock on him will be that he can't fully take advantage of zone-reads because he's not fast. There are worse problems to have.

From what I've seen two years in, Foles is one of the better quarterbacks in the league. Certainly good enough to win with. They don't all have to be Aaron Rodgers or Peyton Manning.

The Bengals are so lucky. If they lose this one who knows how much longer they'll have to wait to win a playoff game.

It is Monday, Bloody Monday. Wouldn't be surprised if Stephen Ross will sit on his hands and do nothing in Miami.

Alright, I'm about to go off on a sports tangent again. Imagine that...
I'm thinking about the Chicago Bears and trying to play a little GM here. Jay Cutler. I believe he is a free agent this off season and the Bears will have to decide if he is there guy going forward, or not.

Now, I've been a Bears fan for probably a solid 20+ years, so I've seen lots of quarterbacks. Here is a list, and mine memory starts with Jim McMahon. In fact, here is a good list. The first page is pretty much my memory of Chicago QBs.
List of all Chicago Bears Quarterbacks
The last thing I want is another quarterback situation. But it's time to start thinking seriously about Cutler.

Cutler is a good quarterback. He has moments of brilliance, and then head scratching, pillow throwing moments. And then at times, he does well enough...he "manages the game." My concern is, he does not win.

Alright, the excuses come to mind immediately. For years, he had no offensive line. He had no elite receivers. The coaching staff was to blame. Honestly, these were all true. This year though, he had arguably the best wide-receiver tandem in football. The offensive line problem seemed to be fixed. But the defense was clearly the problem. Some would argue that they were the big reason the Bears lost yesterday to the Pack.

But I think back, and look into close games where the Bears could have or should have won. Take a look at all these games vs. the Packers, and yesterday's 5 point loss too. The phrase close, but no cigar comes to mind often.
A closer look at Cutler vs. Green Bay | CSN Chicago

Alright. So what is my point? Do I want Cutler to stay? Here is where I stand. I watch a player like Aaron Rodgers...Tom Brady comes to mind too. I hate to say it, but Ben Rothlisburger has proven this as well. These guys, like Cutler, always seem to "manage the game" in such a way where you know they will have the ball close to the end, and you know they will make the plays to win the game. I don't see this in Cutler, and I do feel as if he has had the chance to prove he can win these games. Look at that list vs. the Packers alone!

I've heard some say, "sign Josh McCown for the next couple years, let Jay go, and draft a QB." I worry about this plan because the overall sample of McCown, looking at his entire NFL career, shows that this might have been his career year. However, there are some good quarterbacks coming out in this draft. It has to be an option that is considered, at the very least. Right?

My personal opinion is to let him go. I know he is happy in Chicago. And he might very well be the best quarterback in Chicago history.
I also see this as a potential disaster...the offense is ready to win now, but once again, all the pieces are not in place for this TEAM to win. Perhaps they could make the right changes and have the perfect team next year. Then, perhaps they keep Cutler and once again, find ways to lose. I haven't even gone in to the thought of how losing Cutler would affect the moral of Brandon Marshall...

Whatever happens, one thing is for certain. Nothing with this team is for certain. I don't think there is a correct, or incorrect plan. There are so many pros and cons in this one quarterback situation, I wouldn't be terribly disappointed if they gave the Tressman/Cutler connection another/a few more chances to succeed. Then, for heaven's sake, do something about this defense...

I wonder if Schwartz threw his clipboard when they fired him.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

Alright, I'm about to go off on a sports tangent again. Imagine that...
I'm thinking about the Chicago Bears and trying to play a little GM here. Jay Cutler. I believe he is a free agent this off season and the Bears will have to decide if he is there guy going forward, or not.

Now, I've been a Bears fan for probably a solid 20+ years, so I've seen lots of quarterbacks. Here is a list, and mine memory starts with Jim McMahon. In fact, here is a good list. The first page is pretty much my memory of Chicago QBs.
List of all Chicago Bears Quarterbacks
The last thing I want is another quarterback situation. But it's time to start thinking seriously about Cutler.

Cutler is a good quarterback. He has moments of brilliance, and then head scratching, pillow throwing moments. And then at times, he does well enough...he "manages the game." My concern is, he does not win.

Alright, the excuses come to mind immediately. For years, he had no offensive line. He had no elite receivers. The coaching staff was to blame. Honestly, these were all true. This year though, he had arguably the best wide-receiver tandem in football. The offensive line problem seemed to be fixed. But the defense was clearly the problem. Some would argue that they were the big reason the Bears lost yesterday to the Pack.

But I think back, and look into close games where the Bears could have or should have won. Take a look at all these games vs. the Packers, and yesterday's 5 point loss too. The phrase close, but no cigar comes to mind often.
A closer look at Cutler vs. Green Bay | CSN Chicago

Alright. So what is my point? Do I want Cutler to stay? Here is where I stand. I watch a player like Aaron Rodgers...Tom Brady comes to mind too. I hate to say it, but Ben Rothlisburger has proven this as well. These guys, like Cutler, always seem to "manage the game" in such a way where you know they will have the ball close to the end, and you know they will make the plays to win the game. I don't see this in Cutler, and I do feel as if he has had the chance to prove he can win these games. Look at that list vs. the Packers alone!

I've heard some say, "sign Josh McCown for the next couple years, let Jay go, and draft a QB." I worry about this plan because the overall sample of McCown, looking at his entire NFL career, shows that this might have been his career year. However, there are some good quarterbacks coming out in this draft. It has to be an option that is considered, at the very least. Right?

My personal opinion is to let him go. I know he is happy in Chicago. And he might very well be the best quarterback in Chicago history.
I also see this as a potential disaster...the offense is ready to win now, but once again, all the pieces are not in place for this TEAM to win. Perhaps they could make the right changes and have the perfect team next year. Then, perhaps they keep Cutler and once again, find ways to lose. I haven't even gone in to the thought of how losing Cutler would affect the moral of Brandon Marshall...

Whatever happens, one thing is for certain. Nothing with this team is for certain. I don't think there is a correct, or incorrect plan. There are so many pros and cons in this one quarterback situation, I wouldn't be terribly disappointed if they gave the Tressman/Cutler connection another/a few more chances to succeed. Then, for heaven's sake, do something about this defense...

The one constant I've been hoping for the Bears all these years regardless of everything (and for my sister's sake I suppose), is that they draft a QB.

I realize there's likely to be a year or two of transitional space, but as someone who is not a fan, I suppose it's easier to say, 'fuck it, let a season go and just start from scratch.'

I mean, if there's one thing we've seen recently, drafting and starting a QB doesn't necessarily mean a tanked season.

The one constant I've been hoping for the Bears all these years regardless of everything (and for my sister's sake I suppose), is that they draft a QB.

I realize there's likely to be a year or two of transitional space, but as someone who is not a fan, I suppose it's easier to say, 'fuck it, let a season go and just start from scratch.'

I mean, if there's one thing we've seen recently, drafting and starting a QB doesn't necessarily mean a tanked season.

Right, and they could even re-sign McCown and let him start. He apparently fit the offense well this past year. That would even give the kid a year or two to learn and grow?

Did Jay Cutler forget to guard Randall Cobb with the playoffs on the line?

If the Bears can get a QB in the draft, great. Otherwise I'd pretty much play it by ear depending on exactly how much he's looking for. If he wants to be paid like a top tier QB? I let him walk. If he wants a fair contract, he's better than a lot of other options out there.

Sent from my carrier pigeon using U2 Interference mobile app

This post reads like you haven't seen Foles deal with pressure in other games. He usually moves around the pocket well to avoid pressure, better than you'd expect for someone who's not particularly fast. He looked a little off last night, as did the defensive line. Part of that is because Dallas did a good job putting on pressure. His inconsistency, which should be expected in his second year, is his biggest weakness right now. But when he's on, he's terrific. People criticized his arm strength, but I think he's proven he's got a solid arm. If he gets more consistent, literally the only knock on him will be that he can't fully take advantage of zone-reads because he's not fast. There are worse problems to have.

From what I've seen two years in, Foles is one of the better quarterbacks in the league. Certainly good enough to win with. They don't all have to be Aaron Rodgers or Peyton Manning.

Foles's sack rate (7.6% career) looks a bit high to me, and it did seem to me that against Dallas (the only full game I've seen him play) he was holding the ball a bit too long. I think he'll need to make quicker decisions and play a tad less conservatively as he becomes more familiar with the Chip Kelly offense.

I agree. He certainly has his flaws, and holding the ball is one of the main ones. I hope his development and some more wide receiver help (beyond DeSean Jackson, the Eagles had no decent receivers this year) will combine to improve that number with more guys getting open.

The 49ers won 12 games,the Packers 8,yet,the game will be in Green Bay.

Goodell,fix your playoff format.

The 49ers won 12 games,the Packers 8,yet,the game will be in Green Bay.

Goodell,fix your playoff format.

While I agree on the surface, how do you feel that they could change the format without completely eliminating the importance of winning your division?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom