NFL 2013-2014: Snow Plow to the Super Bowl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on how it looked, gotta be full tear of ACL, MCL and possibly PCL. Or compound fracture of the tibia.
I think it was PCL because of that crazy angle. That might be the worst knee injury I've seen since Lattimore. God, what a drag. Penn State linebackers are so good, yet they can't stay healthy (Lee, Bowman, Mauti, etc.).

It was a tough one to watch and the replay needed to be seen to see just how badly the refs blew the fumble call (fortunately PEDe Carroll and God corrected the refs on 4th down), its not a Theismann or Krumrie or Moises Alou or the Louisville kid on the gruesome scale, but it was bad enough.

On opening day 2011(?) I said in these threads these Hawks would go unwinnable. Two years later the Seahawks are in the Super Bowl. They are lucky, and they are talented.

Pete Carroll is a good coach.

Gotta love bullshit NFL thug culture. It never disappoints.

Are you referring to Sherman? He's as far from a "thug" as any corner in the NFL. He's a really smart, hardworking, very well-respected player in the league.

Sure, he talked some shit after the game. His team just made the fucking Super Bowl directly because of an awesome play he made. I personally find his interview way more genuine and entertaining than the typical post game shit. He's not gonna go take out Crabtree's knees or something actually "thuggish". He's not doing anything illegal. He's speaking his mind.

You shouldn't be a pro sports fan if you don't like athletes talking mad shit about other athletes. It happens ALL THE TIME. It's not always televised under such a big spotlight like this, but let's not kid ourselves. The Sherman interview was real. Not some PC, cookie cutter crap.

Devil's Advocate Post. Go Bears.

I just loved Erin Andrew's reaction. Priceless!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

Someone summed it up nicely last night by saying that Sherman was being criticized for what people lauded Michael Jordan for doing for the last 30 years.

Someone summed it up nicely last night by saying that Sherman was being criticized for what people lauded Michael Jordan for doing for the last 30 years.

Yeah, but MJ's brand of trash talk was way more subtle.

Yea Michael Jordan and Larry Bird were ruthless trash talkers... they didn't do what Sherman did last night.

Sherman is a clown. He's certainly not a "thug" to anything like that. In fact his ability to break out of a horrible neighborhood and overcome the odds stacked against him should be lauded, not derided with ignorant comments.

But his act, which is all premeditated, can be a little much.

Sent from my android cause iphones are for old people

If the conversation is to be about whether he's laying it on too thick, I think it would be a much simpler discussion. It's become about "thugs" and other concepts with racial overtones (who wants to talk about the position of Colin Kaepernick's fucking hat again?) that are frankly absurd.

I think the fact this his interview just ten minutes later was much calmer speaks to how amped he was immediately following the game more than anything. And he really didn't do anything other than loudly declare that he's proven all his doubters wrong. There was no profane rant, no character assassinations even. Just him saying Crabtree should stop talking about him because he beat him.

Hearing him actually talk about football is very enlightening. He understands the position as well as anyone.

If the conversation is to be about whether he's laying it on too thick, I think it would be a much simpler discussion. It's become about "thugs" and other concepts with racial overtones (who wants to talk about the position of Colin Kaepernick's fucking hat again?) that are frankly absurd.

I think the fact this his interview just ten minutes later was much calmer speaks to how amped he was immediately following the game more than anything. And he really didn't do anything other than loudly declare that he's proven all his doubters wrong. There was no profane rant, no character assassinations even. Just him saying Crabtree should stop talking about him because he beat him.

Hearing him actually talk about football is very enlightening. He understands the position as well as anyone.

If you're referring to my initial comment, I didn't mean to insinuate anything racial, and I don't think the term "thug" is confined to any specific group. Rather it is the hardass posturing from players of all racial and class backgrounds and the way the media encourages it that makes the game sometimes look like a circus. I get that he's excited about the victory. That doesn't mean he needs to pretend he deserves the MVP for deflecting an ill-advised pass thrown into double coverage.

I certainly know you meant nothing by it, but there have been commentators who have used the word "thug" in a context that is quite racial. Here's an exchange I saw:

Person 1: Sherman acted and spoke like a complete animal.
Person 2: Try to hide your racism better.
Person 1: Racism? Listen to it with audio only. I would run from anyone who said that in an alley, and so would you.
Person 2: I wonder why you're picturing an alley.

The uses of "thug" that I have seen haven't been much better.

Also, he's not the MVP because he made that one play, he's the MVP because he's arguably the best corner in the league and they barely targeted him all game because of that.

This might be a dumb question, but .... is football like baseball where a lot of people (i.e., me) just assume half the players on all the teams are doping in some way, anyway?

It's not on people's minds all the time the way it is in baseball because so few have been suspended, but there's a large suspicion that the NFL is not nearly as clean as its short list of suspended players would make it seem.

Gotcha. Thanks.

It seems common enough to me in sports where I'm neither surprised nor disappointed (for the most part) to hear about suspensions for doping.

I really hope that story about fans throwing food at the injured 49er isn't true. What a bunch of assholes.

Well, I guess that's .... the slightly better version of the story. Ha.

I hope the better fans around him scolded him severely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom