NFL 2012: The Super Bowl and Beyond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let it be known that I generally loathe the Super Bowl. The spectacle, the domes, the Florida, it's all so sterile and rarely represents the best the league has to offer. But this game was boring far beyond those trepidations. There have been exceptions within my time as a football fan though:

1. Rams/Titans
2. Steelers/Cardinals
3. Packers/Broncos

The Pats games have been close, definitely good shit, but I have never really been surprised when they've won.

Steelers fans had the Santonio Holmes catch.
Saints fans had the Tracy Porter pick six.
Giants fans have Ahmad Bradshaw falling on his ass.

Let it be known that I generally loathe the Super Bowl. The spectacle, the domes, the Florida, it's all so sterile and rarely represents the best the league has to offer. But this game was boring far beyond those trepidations. There have been exceptions within my time as a football fan though:

1. Rams/Titans
2. Steelers/Cardinals
3. Packers/Broncos

The Pats games have been close, definitely good shit, but I have never really been surprised when they've won.

I thought the first one the Pats won when they were a 14-point dog was a bit of a surprise. Also, I heard some obscure Irish punk rock band totally blew the roof off the stadium at halftime.

I hope that Eli is buying Manningham a new car or something for that catch that he made.

speedracer said:
I thought the first one the Pats won when they were a 14-point dog was a bit of a surprise. Also, I heard some obscure Irish punk rock band totally blew the roof off the stadium at halftime.

It's a hindsight thing, I suppose. I just remember the Pats having that game in hand pretty well throughout. It was pivotal though, no doubt.

Was Peyton at the game? I would be curious to know how he was feeling watching his brother leap over him in prestige in the very stadium that was built for him.

i went to the restroom

Was Peyton at the game? I would be curious to know how he was feeling watching his brother leap over him in prestige in the very stadium that was built for him.

i heard during the broadcast that he was there, but hiding out. they showed the giants box and a couple of family members.

Steelers fans had the Santonio Holmes catch.
Saints fans had the Tracy Porter pick six.
Giants fans have Ahmad Bradshaw falling on his ass.

I love how they were trying to sell that Mario Manningham 38 yard catch as 'David Tyree-like'. It was a great catch, but you've got to be kidding me. That kind of catch happens often during the season, and there was nothing incredible about it.

Clearly they just realized that after a largely unspectacular game, they needed something to highlight and sensationalize.

Ak7yq4PCAAARFcW.jpg

some guy won 50Gs on the safety

Should be a fun offseason. Peyton Manning drama. All teams get ota's.

I'm hoping week 1 is Giants/Packers on Thursday night.

the halftime QB numbers were very close.

seemed like both teams abandoned the running game altogether. haven't looked at the stats yet, but sounded like manning went 21/40? not sure how many passes brady had.

felt like new england's d-line was doing a better job than new york's.

each team had a very long touchdown drive. it just turned out that new york's was at the end.

i'm looking forward to downloading this in the next day or so and re-watching it.

What's amazing is the sheer difference of opinion between those who had a rooted interest in the game and those who didn't... because I thought that was one hell of a football game. And, as hard as it is to believe, would, think the same if the giants lost.

But... they won. Rings for everyone!
Yeah, please don't take my posts as me hating on the Giants. I sincerely didn't give a shit who won (it would have been nice to have a Super Bowl winner be the next head coach here, but I thought that whole thing was overrated). But I did not find the game well played at all.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
What's amazing is the sheer difference of opinion between those who had a rooted interest in the game and those who didn't... because I thought that was one hell of a football game. And, as hard as it is to believe, would, think the same if the giants lost.

But... they won. Rings for everyone!

As it should be an exciting game for you. As boring as I think it was, I obviously would have been more excited if I had cared more about the outcome.

Oh please being Peyton is clearly better than Eli.

The sports media measures everything by titles. That has held true across every sport that I have ever observed for my whole life. Notice that I said "prestige" rather than "talent."

Talking about vested interests and all that, I will say that I'm probably the only person in this thread who enjoyed the hell out of the Colts/Bears Super Bowl.

bono_212 said:
Talking about vested interests and all that, I will say that I'm probably the only person in this thread who enjoyed the hell out of the Colts/Bears Super Bowl.

Yeah, that game seriously blew.

I think every Redskins game is horrible/great, so I empathize with Headache enjoying this game.

Hewson said:
If he ends up a Redskin, luck will probably make the "it" either his knee or his Achilles tendon.

I think irony will destroy Luck before our training staff destroys RG3.

No, you're totally right.

I was really hoping for a Pats win, but I got to say, I don't get the hate for the quality of play tonight. Fine, it's not going in the all-time vault, but it was certainly watchable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom