NFL 2012 - Eli has two rings edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I think there were more bad calls against the Pats. The PI on Mayo was one. Drive should have been over. One of the illegal contacts on McCourty was also poor judgement. He got nothing but air.

speedracer said:
I can't remember a bad call against the Ravens other than the unsportsmanlike conduct.

Stopping the run wasn't really that big a problem for the Pats imo. Certainly not nearly as much as getting beat deep down the sidelines.

Out of 20 accepted penalties by the beginning of the 4th quarter, there were no unfair calls on the Ravens? There was one immediately prior to the unsportsmanlike conduct. Numerous absurd PIs. It was awful for both teams, and it seemed to ebb and flow based on whoever had the lead at a given moment. But, as a fan, I'll be honest and say that I remember far fewer of the Bengals' penalties than the Skins' today. It's the way things go. I was rooting for the Ravens and noted all sorts of bullshit.

Re: Rice, run sets up the pass. Without any threat up the middle of the field, Flacco of all people would not have been able to carve up the edges the way he did.

Yeah, I think there were more bad calls against the Pats. The PI on Mayo was one. Drive should have been over.

This in particular is a sign of weak refereeing. The call was made 3 seconds after the crowd started booing. No Ravens were complaining about the play. If the location of the game and roles been reversed, I'm sure this crew would have called it for the Pats.

Out of 20 accepted penalties by the beginning of the 4th quarter, there were no unfair calls on the Ravens? There was one immediately prior to the unsportsmanlike conduct. Numerous absurd PIs. It was awful for both teams, and it seemed to ebb and flow based on whoever had the lead at a given moment. But, as a fan, I'll be honest and say that I remember far fewer of the Bengals' penalties than the Skins' today. It's the way things go. I was rooting for the Ravens and noted all sorts of bullshit.

Re: Rice, run sets up the pass. Without any threat up the middle of the field, Flacco of all people would not have been able to carve up the edges the way he did.

Looking at the PBP, there were only 3 PI calls. The one on Mayo that has already been noted, one on Edelman (should have been a no-call in my opinion), and the one on McCourty at the very end to set up the FG (completely legit; McCourty got burned like a side of bacon there).

There were numerous defensive holding calls; I can't remember thinking any of them were unjustified, although my memory could certainly be off on that.

Besides the penalty on Harbaugh, the next-worst decision against the Ravens that I can think of was the unnecessary roughness on Ngata for landing on Brady after he was on the ground (and Brady lobbying for the flag certainly doesn't help the perception of the play). Granted it wasn't especially brutal, but Ngata definitely had enough time and space to avoid it.

Guess I mixed up the holds and PIs. That's OK, the refs mixed up defensive holding and illegal contact at least once. :happy:

Guess I mixed up the holds and PIs. That's OK, the refs mixed up defensive holding and illegal contact at least once. :happy:

The other thing I don't get is how the refs can be so ignorant of some of the rules and penalties. It's not that much different from college. The worst I saw today was a ref calling intentional grounding on Michael Vick, then declaring that the penalty was 10 yards and replay the down (offensive holding) instead of spot foul and loss of down (the equivalent of a sack, which is designed to make perfect sense).

speedracer said:
The other thing I don't get is how the refs can be so ignorant of some of the rules and penalties. It's not that much different from college. The worst I saw today was a ref calling intentional grounding on Michael Vick, then declaring that the penalty was 10 yards and replay the down (offensive holding) instead of spot foul and loss of down (the equivalent of a sack, which is designed to make perfect sense).

I was screaming at the TV during that play. At least they figured it out.

Unlike the Ravens' FG kick, which will forever go down as a :shrug: moment.

This is the part I can't figure out. Why are they so inept? It's not like the game played in the NFL is inherently different.

A year ago, these guys would have reffed this weekend's Valparaiso University/University of San Diego game.

Really.

And on the PI on Mayo the ref initially said it was a 15 yard penalty before correcting himself to call it a "spot foul".

the next-worst decision against the Ravens that I can think of was the unnecessary roughness on Ngata for landing on Brady after he was on the ground (and Brady lobbying for the flag certainly doesn't help the perception of the play). Granted it wasn't especially brutal, but Ngata definitely had enough time and space to avoid it.

And they never made that one clear as to whether Ngata was flagged for landing on Brady or for shoving Mankins in the chops after the play...looked like the flag came out after he hit Mankins, so its possible the call was for that and not hitting Brady as he was sliding.

All that being said, the Patriots D was back to its horrible ways last night. No pass rush to speak of, run defense (considered a strength this year) was abysmal, and the secondary was sloppy at times. Getting 30 points against the Ravens should have translated into a win.

Tailgaters out in full force early this morning, taking up valuable free parking spaces with their RVs.

Damn those Seahawks fans. (Although I'd bet a good chunk of them are the Packers fans.)

Gotta love working so close to the stadiums.

Looking forward to leaving early to beat the traffic.

Oh, and looking forward to the game. :wink:

New Orleans probably should have came into the season with, you know, coaching. That often helps. Instead, they're operating with the interim interim and playing like shit.

PhilsFan said:
New Orleans probably should have came into the season with, you know, coaching. That often helps. Instead, they're operating with the interim interim and playing like shit.

It is probably that, but does anyone else get the sense that Drew Brees looks very... entitled... when he takes the field?

So last night Tom Brady moved past Joe Montana into 12th on the all time passing yards list...but thats not the amazing thing...he should move into 11th this Sunday and pass...

...Kerry Collins.
How the hell is Kerry F'in Collins #11 on the NFL's all time passing list?!?!?!?!

That is fucked up, but from 2000 to 2005 Collins averaged over 3500 passing yards and actually threw for over 4000 yards in 2002.

Collins played for like 16 seasons. Methuselah would have racked up some serious yards after a while himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom