NFL 2009-2010: Part The Second

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bottom line, if the Patriots converted on the 4th and 2 they win the game and Bellichick is a genius. The problem is they didn't, and bellychick is a bum for a week.

ok, my last comments on this, other than the occasional sarcastic jab...

no. if they had gotten the first down, belichick would have been a great coach who made a stupid decision but got away with it.

they didn't get it, so he's a great coach who made a stupid decision.

i can not state enough that i consider belichick to be by far the best coach in the NFL and one of the 5 greatest coaches in the history of the League. even a coach as great as he is can make a stupid decision from time to time. this was one of them.

even if it had worked, it would have still been a stupid decision. when plays are refered to as "ballsy" or "gutsy" it's really just a nice way of saying "wow, they sure lucked out after that dipshit move"

Is 45% ok? Cause that's the 4th down percentage the Pats have this year I believe.

5 of 11

1. 45% pushes Belichick's gambit to around break-even if you keep the baseline stats for the other team scoring. If you can't work out the probabilities yourself, use this tool.

2. There's a 4th-and-10, a 4th-and-12 kneeldown, and a 4th-and-7 with a backup QB in the Patriots' log of 4th downs this season. Also a bunch of 4th-and-1s as well.

But even if they were all 4th-and-2, a sample size of 11 is pretty useless. Take a coin, flip it 10 times and write down the number of heads. Do this a bunch of times. You'll be surprised at the number of times the result is something other than 4, 5 or 6.

It's far better to use a large sample of a few hundred 4th-and-2s from league history and then to try to adjust for the particulars of the given situation than to use a tiny sample of plays that match the exact situation.

You'll never know the "true" probability of anything in sports, but that doesn't mean it's wrong to come up with a best guess, and it certainly doesn't give the ESPN talking heads the right to abrogate their duty to give a serious defense of their side.

Jerry Jones need not coach. Had they thrown the damn ball sooner, this could have been over a lot earlier.

Jerry Jones need not coach. Had they thrown the damn ball sooner, this could have been over a lot earlier.

Details please, I was too busy watching the Ravens' journey aboard the failboat. (Down by 2, fail to punch it in from 1 yard out and kick a FG; Colts easily come back with a FG; Baltimore blows two timeouts on a challenge; forces a punt anyway and fumbles on an attemped forward lateral.)

Details please, I was too busy watching the Ravens' journey aboard the failboat. (Down by 2, fail to punch it in from 1 yard out and kick a FG; Colts easily come back with a FG; Baltimore blows two timeouts on a challenge; forces a punt anyway and fumbles on an attemped forward lateral.)

About 70% of Dallas' offensive play calls were runs in the first half, then, on the final drive, they passed every single play and easily walked their way up the field. I think I saw Romo yawn.

My claim that passing heavily from the get-go would have made it a blowout isn't terribly logical, as we went prevent in that final drive vs. all drives prior (Redskins fail #95475745947954, if you're keeping score), but I found that amusing.

So uh, the Super Bowl champions lost to the Chiefs? Not even the view from the douchebag seats could make their season look successful.

A 7-6 win over the ailing Redskins at home? Let me see how i can spin that...

Cowboys win a tough contest against fierce division rival at home. Defense is superb and only gives up 6 points! The Offense, while effective, was somewhat conservative so as not to reveal too much firepower to the resurgent Raiders who visit thursday on this short holiday week. Nick Folk purposely missed a FG just to keep things interesting, likewise Roy Williams purposely dropped several passes (again) to avoid the blowout.

How's that?

:D:sexywink:

I couldn't believe the end of that Raiders and Bengals game. How can you fumble away that game with the Pats and Chargers on your tail for the first round bye? :doh:

A terrible day for the AFC North when three of those losses are to the Lions, Raiders and Chiefs.

Donny spent ten seconds jokingly celebrating with his receiver after throwing a ball five yards over his head, and then had to call timeout when he didn't call a play.

Your 2009 Philadelphia Eagles!

The Bears just made the Eagles look competent in the fourth quarter.

Dire straits in Chicago, boys and girls.

Actually, coming from you it's just pathetic.

:confused: :shrug:

It had nothing to do with me. What's pathetic is that the man is better known in pop culture for his bad sportsmanship than his 'greatness.'

The Dallas offense is still asleep. Course it didn't take much to beat the skins since they suck so bad but if they'd have played a better team they'd have been thrashed. Maybe Romo isn't so great after all ya think?

It had nothing to do with me. What's pathetic is that the man is better known in pop culture for his bad sportsmanship than his 'greatness.'

I'm sorry, one Jeopardy question does not convince me that a guy who has won three Super Bowls this decade is more known for a hissy fit than that fact.

It's apparent that you don't like him, and you're trying to defend that somewhat irrational dislike to a group of people here that are reasonable, so it's not going very well.

I actually said out loud "Don't fumble it" two seconds before Shady McCoy fumbled in the fourth quarter. It was very weird, I have no idea why I saw that coming. He was holding it with both arms.

I'm sorry, one Jeopardy question does not convince me that a guy who has won three Super Bowls this decade is more known for a hissy fit than that fact.

It's apparent that you don't like him, and you're trying to defend that somewhat irrational dislike to a group of people here that are reasonable, so it's not going very well.

The way I see it it's the other way around. People here either like him or are afraid of those who like him so they won't speak out against him (other than Jive Turkey who had the balls to do so) On every other message board, blog and social networking site I'm on the guy is called 'Bellacheat' and nobody sees him as great for winning Super Bowls because they think he cheated and didn't deserve them. So it just depends on who you ask.

The way I see it it's the other way around. People here either like him or are afraid of those who like him so they won't speak out against him (other than Jive Turkey who had the balls to do so) On every other message board, blog and social networking site I'm on the guy is called 'Bellacheat' and nobody sees him as great for winning Super Bowls because they think he cheated and didn't deserve them. So it just depends on who you ask.

14343_209070150933_775510933_4179267_3116814_n.jpg

upon further review i have declared this comment to be full of shit.

firstly, it would be belicheat if spelled correctly.

secondly, the man is one of the greatest football coaches in the history of the sport, and very few people other than those who don't know what they're talking about, and/or bitter inter-divisional rivals actually consider his super bowls to be null and void over the idiotic spy-gate debocle, a practice that many a coach have used themselves and probably still use. heck, i'll bet ya the man genius himself employs some sort of "spying" on the other opponent, perhaps disguising browns employees as UPS drivers and sending them to the opponent's sidelines. who knows? it's possible.

did you know that Weeb Eubank sent staff members to nearby high rise apartment buildings with binoculars to watch teams practice? did you know that the main building at the Jets Hofstra practice facility, the Jets being the franchise that turned the patriots in, is named after Weeb Eubank?

that the great tom landry once tapped into the opposing team's radio frequency to hear their play calls, and would find high perches near opponent's facilities to watch them practice? and would rent out blocks of hotel rooms that overlooked his own practices to prevent other teams from doing the same?

i hope you have the same feelings about all of these coaches who would do the same things throughout the history of football... or do you just reserve your comments for belichick because alex trebec said you should?

Did you see the speech McNabb whispered in his ear at the end of the game? He looked like he was going to cry.

I'm guessing that Five told him that instead of yelling at his teammates he should joke about his terrible passes by tapping his chest and giggling every time he fucks up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom