NFL 2008 Offseason Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveC

Blue Crack Addict
Go, mothafuckas!

Just to kick the thread off, Ty Law is getting released from the Chiefs and David Carr is getting cut from the Panthers. Yes, that was the only football news I could find today.

phanan said:
I saw the Ty Law blurb. I wonder if he'll reunite with the Patriots now.

He's definitely better than Randall Gay, that's for sure.

Rumor is that one Randall Moss will sign with the Patriots for 3/$30MM. If that's true, it is pretty much certain that Asante Samuel will not be re-signed.

12-24-2006 01:58 PM -
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Headache in a Suitcase[/i] [b]just the sight of tom coughlin makes me want to punch him in the face[/b][/quote][/quote] [quote]01-10-2007 09:48 AM - -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [quote][i]Originally posted by Chizip said:
so it looks like tom coughlin might actually remain as the giants coach :giggle:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
:mad:

:madspit:

:sad:

Tom Coughlin's expected new contract extension reportedly will make him one of the NFL's highest-paid coaches.

The New York Daily News reported Thursday that Coughlin will receive a four-year extension worth approximately $21 million from the Giants after leading New York to a Super Bowl victory over the Patriots. There are only minor details to be worked out and the newspaper reported that an official agreement could be announced as early as next week.

The $5.25 million per year average will put Coughlin only below Seattle's Mike Holmgren, who will make about $8 million in 2008 and New England's Bill Belichick, who signed an extension last season and was believed to make over $4 million per year in his earlier contract.

The newspaper reported that Coughlin was slated to make $3.5 million in 2008 but that contract will be discarded for this new extension, which will take the Giants coach through the 2011 season.

:hi5:

funny how things can change so quickly...

Last edited:
zonelistener said:

I heard the Pats dropped Rosie Colvin yesterday. That is one less worry with the salary cap.
Colvin was a 7.6 million cap number for 2008, so he was likely going to be cut anyway, but the injury sealed the deal.
They'll attempt to resign him for a cap friendly number if they feel he won't have any lingering effect of injury, if not they'll go in a different direction.

They also won't have Donte Stallworth's 9 Million or so cap hit either (again they may try to resign him at a lower number), so I think they'll sign Moss and make a run at Samuel, but no way they'll offer Samuel what he wants (100 miilion, 30 mil guaranteed), so I expect he is gone.

Samuel is definitely gone - there's no way he's coming back. He's made it quite clear that it's all about the money.

I expect Moss back. After the year he had, there's no way he's leaving Brady.

And with Stallworth most likely gone, I think they'll resign Gaffney to a new deal, as he won't cost that much and has been a reliable receiver for them.

As for Colvin, I don't think he comes back. I think it's quite clear that Adalius Thomas is much better on the outside. It's the inside that needs help, whether Bruschi and/or Seau come back or not.

I only see Colvin coming back as outside depth if:

A. He's healthy
2. He signs a very team friendly deal in cap terms.

Vrabel is no spring chicken, so a rotation of Vrabel, Thomas and a healthy Colvin splitting time in the 2 OLB positions would be good.

But ILB is a more pressing need currently for sure.

Looks like the Eagles are signing Asante Samuel. Lito Sheppard and Asante Samuel, Brian Dawkins and Sheldon Brown...is it September yet? :drool:

Also rumoured is Lorenzo Neal to the Birds. I shudder to think how badly Brian Westbrook is going to tear it up if he gets an All-Pro leadblocker in front of him. :D

DaveC said:
Looks like the Eagles are signing Asante Samuel. Lito Sheppard and Asante Samuel, Brian Dawkins and Sheldon Brown...is it September yet? :drool:

Also rumoured is Lorenzo Neal to the Birds. I shudder to think how badly Brian Westbrook is going to tear it up if he gets an All-Pro leadblocker in front of him. :D

You still need a very good reciever. Curtis is good, but I still think you need a little more.

And I can talk. My team just resigned Grossman. Maybe he'll turn it around. huh? :(

Got Philk? said:

You still need a very good reciever. Curtis is good, but I still think you need a little more.

And I can talk. My team just resigned Grossman. Maybe he'll turn it around. huh? :(

A receiver and a couple more solid O-line men and this team is lookin' gooood. I also wouldn't be against another linebacker, either.

I wonder if Samuel will continue to become a better player or suffer the drop off that a lot of other Patriot free agents have once they see some $$$ - Deion Branch, David Givens, Damien Woody, Ty Law, etc

I was under the impression that if Asante signs then Lito is out, I didn't think both of them was an option for the Eagles.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
this perhaps will sound like an odd request, but do any of you patriot fans have any yearbooks or photos or what have you of the cheerleaders from the 1985 super bowl team?
I do not.

DaveC said:

A receiver and a couple more solid O-line men and this team is lookin' gooood. I also wouldn't be against another linebacker, either.

Philly is already a very good team right now; their biggest problem is simply making it out of the NFC East alive.

No cheerleader pics Headache, sorry.

Randy Moss re-signs, 3/27. Phew, I was getting kinda antsy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom