NFL 2008 Offseason Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't understand why he had to go the whole "retirement" route. If he wanted to play somewhere else, why didn't he just freaking say so? I'm sure it would have been a contract issue to do so, but gee, it still is even with the so-called retirement!

Packer fans would have been upset, but it's making him look a LOT worse to go about it this round-about, irritating way.

Thompson won't talk trade - Packers Blog

Thompson won't talk trade
By Tom Silverstein
Saturday, Jul 12 2008, 02:52 PM
Green Bay -- One of the subjects general manager Ted Thompson refused to address was the willingness of the Packers to trade Brett Favre should the quarterback apply for reinstatement.

Thompson made it clear to Favre that he would not release him and that if Favre wanted to play again he was open to carrying him on the roster. But he also said that Aaron Rodgers was his starting quarterback and refused to say whether he and coach Mike McCarthy would be willing to have an open competition for the starting job.

But Thompson also said he could not predict the future and seemed to be saying anything could happen if Favre were in camp. He seemed to be more willing to allow Favre to be on the roster than to deal him to another team.

That could change should Favre file reinstatement papers. According to Thompson, there was a general agreement among Favre, coach Mike McCarthy and himself that it would be difficult for the Packers to switch gears at this point of the off-season, but Favre may think he can force the Packers' hand if he comes back.

Thompson, who may have been posturing to dissuade Favre from coming back, said he hadn't even considered a trade and would be willing to take Favre back on the roster.

"He has his right to change his mind," Thompson said.

Thompson wouldn't acknowledge that his reason for rejecting Favre's request to be released was so that the quarterback wouldn't wind up with the Minnesota Vikings, Chicago Bears and Detroit Lions. He said it was logical to assume that, but he did not want to discuss any option other than Favre being accepted back on the roster should he apply for reinstatement.

At this point, Thompson said, he was not aware of any interest in Favre or whether his agent, James (Bus) Cook, had shopped him around to other teams.

A source close to the situation said Favre's value would be fairly high if a team's fans or owner started beating the drum for him to play for their team. The marketing possibilities would be huge for a team like Atlanta, Tampa Bay, the New York Jets or Washington, all of whom probably would have some interest in Favre.

UPDATE: Stick with the blog, I will have a timeline described by Thompson of the events between the NFC Championship Game and last Tuesday. They are extremely interesting.

Can't wait to see the timeline.

as i was sayin...

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) — About 200 people rallied outside Lambeau Field on Sunday to pressure the Packers into reinstating Brett Favre as the team's starting quarterback.

The crowd — many wearing No. 4 jerseys — chanted, "We want Brett" and carried signs reading, "Favre for President."

Adam and Erick Rolfson organized the rally. They plan to hold another Monday night in the Milwaukee area and then every Sunday until the team reinstates Favre.

They have started a Web site, BringBackBrettfavre.com l Brought to you by DailyBank Corp, where fans can vote on what the Packers should do.

General Manager Ted Thompson says Favre can rejoin the team from retirement but would have to be a backup. Favre wants an unconditional release from his contract, something Thompson says he won't allow.

and yes, i am operating under the assumption that 200 people equals approximately 85% of the population of the city of green bay.

Ya if their nose went on strike they'd picket...ba boom tish.

Teams have to make hard choices. This is one of them. If I'm GB I cut the cord unless they truly in their heart ot hearts think they have a good shot at the SB with Brett next year. Personally I don't see it. The Pack were the Pack long before Brett Favre and his 1! championship showed up.

As a lifelong Packer fan and a person who cried when Brett retired, this is my opinion.

The only team I want to see Brett play for is the Packers, so I (selfishly) do not want him going anywhere else. I wish he were still the quarterback, I wish he hadn't retired. That being said, Aaron Rodgers is the quarterback now. Brett shouldn't be able to just flip flop his decision and come back as the starting quarterback. If Brett returns to the Packers, it should be as a back up.

Brett had people on the edge of their seats with his "will he or won't he?" retirement dilemma. I think most of us thought this was it, he was finally settled with his decision. Hearing what's going on now though, I think many of us who love Brett are frustrated that he retired in the first place, and many of those who dislike Brett now have another reason to dislike him.

The funny thing is as much as I bag on Brett Favre about this whole retirement thing I actually like him as a player. The way he plays, that whole "gunslinger" image I have of him, making that throw that is probably getting picked off but him thinking "wtf" and trying it anyway, and damned if he doesn't make it a lot of the time. How can you not like the guy? But this whole back & forth about retiring every year, to me it diminishes him in a lot of people's eyes, and that's too bad.

FAVRE TO SPEAK ON FOX NEWS
Posted by Mike Florio on July 14, 2008, 3:03 p.m.
Packers quarterback Brett Favre will end his silence regarding the recent events surrounding his unretirement via an exclusive interview with . . . Greta Van Susteren?

Seriously.

Favre was interviewed on Monday by Van Susteren, who likely doesn’t know whether you put air in a football or give it a facelift, and who hosts an evening show on the Fox News Channel.

In a crypic blurb on her show’s web site, Van Susteren says that Favre “accepts” the decision of G.M. Ted Thompson not to grant his release, but she also reiterates Favre’s desire to exit the Packers.

The interview will air Monday night on Fox News Channel at 10:00 p.m. EDT. (Even Keith Olbermann will be watching.) In a photo on the Van Susteren site, Favre is seen talking to her in his normal appearance — unshaven, gray T-shirt, and camo shorts. Amazingly, however, he is wearing shoes. And socks.

Regardless of the potential impact of Favre’s words on his football career, the selection of FOX News and Van Susteren will raise eyebrows with folks like Chris Mortensen and Peter King and Jay Glazer and Al Jones of the Biloxi Sun-Herald and others who undoubtedly have tried to put themselves in position to get this “get.”

ooooooooooooooook

I loved the headline I saw today: Favre Doesn't Feel Comfortable

No way. Really? You don't feel comfortable?

"I'm leaving ... I'm staying! I might retire ... I'm staying! I think maybe this time I might really honestly actually retire ... I'm staying! Guys, this is it, I'm retiring. ...............

I think I want to play again. Can you all let me go play somewhere else?"

Aw, and he doesn't feel comfortable. Poor thing. I got some comfort for him out here in Seattle.

<-- smacks sharp stick against palm, waiting ... waiting

I know! :sad:

Packer fans I know locally have already torn down their shrines to him in frustration and general pissed-off-ness.

I haven't broached the subject with my parents back in Wisconsin yet... I'm sure I'll get an earful from my mom when I do!

Redskins lose two DE's for the year in the first day of practice, then trade a 2nd round pick in 2009 and a 6th rounder in 2010 for Jason Taylor. The trade was just now accepted.

Somebody wake me up next July.

On the Favre issue:

I'm a die-hard Bears fan but, yes, I've always really liked Brett. I actually consider him to be the greatest football that I have ever personally witnessed.

I can understand the frustration on the part of the Packer fans, but I don't really think he's doing anything wrong.

Now, where do I want him to go if he does end up coming back?

Tampa Bay. I think that would just be a great fit for him, and a great fit for Gruden and the Bucs. I can vividly remember the intense rivalry between Mr. Favre and Mr. Warren Sapp in the late 90's/early 00's. Great stuff. So, yeah, I hope he lands in Tampa.

I'd take him on the Bears too in a heartbeat but that will never happen. And everyone knows we already have a fucking badass quarterback named Sexy Rexy.

I actually consider him to be the greatest football that I have ever personally witnessed.

PWJR.jpg

barrysanders11.jpg

LawrenceTaylor.jpg

Montana.jpg

NSW, I'm too young to have seen Montana or LT in their true primes.

I definitely did watch Barry in his prime, though, and I may have to go back now and retract my statement.

I kinda forgot about that dude. He was unreal.

Yeah I was lucky enough to be able to watch Rice when he was still pretty much in his prime with the 49ers in the early to mid 90's. Obviously I missed out on the 80's heyday. I only got to see the Young to Rice combo. That was most impressive, though.

But I will still say that Brett and Barry are probably the two best I've ever seen.

NSW, I'm too young to have seen Montana or LT in their true primes.

I definitely did watch Barry in his prime, though, and I may have to go back now and retract my statement.

I kinda forgot about that dude. He was unreal.

My post was less about contradicting yours and more about just showing the 4 best that I've ever seen.

Also, your above post makes me feel fucking old.

USA Today's Monday newspaper ranks the top QBs:

Today's top five:
1. Tom Brady/Peyton Manning
3. Donovan McNabb
4. Matt Hasselback
5. Drew Brees

(How'd McNabb make that list? How is Romo not on the list?)

Top 5 of the Superbowl era:
1. Joe Montana
2. John Elway
3. Tom Brady
4. Dan Marino
5. Brett Favre

Good list, but it's hard to see Steve Young left off with his ultra-efficient QB rating and his very high winning percentage with the 49ers.

USA Today's Monday newspaper ranks the top QBs:

Today's top five:
1. Tom Brady/Peyton Manning
3. Donovan McNabb
4. Matt Hasselback
5. Drew Brees

(How'd McNabb make that list? How is Romo not on the list?)

Top 5 of the Superbowl era:
1. Joe Montana
2. John Elway
3. Tom Brady
4. Dan Marino
5. Brett Favre

Good list, but it's hard to see Steve Young left off with his ultra-efficient QB rating and his very high winning percentage with the 49ers.

I'd rather have Big Ben than McNabb, Brees or Hasselbeck. Carson Palmer, too.

I enjoyed Steve Young's mobility, accuracy and guts, but it's hard to choose him over any of the above 5. I wonder if one could argue for him over Marino based on Marino never having won a SB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom