NFL 2007, Part One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
powerhour24 said:
The TV schedule for the Patriot's week 2 game against the Chargers is aggravating. They're on NBC at 8:00, the exact same time as Red Sox/Yankees late in the season on ESPN...but then again the Sox can virtually put the Yankees away this week.
Thats why God invented things like the remote control.

ESPN is saying that Rodney Harrison is going to get suspended for 4 games for obtaining HGH. At least we know it won't effect his chances of being selected to the Pro Bowl. :wink:

randhail said:
ESPN is saying that Rodney Harrison is going to get suspended for 4 games for obtaining HGH. At least we know it won't effect his chances of being selected to the Pro Bowl. :wink:

Too bad it's not baseball, he could just say I'm sorry and do some charity work [/Giambi]

You're right (re: tougher penalties in MLB)...I always kind of thought it was funny that nobody seemed to care about PED's in the NFL. But it's fun to take swipes at Giambi...and I'm a little pissy about Harrison getting suspended on top of Seymour missing at least 6 weeks :(

baseball is the golden sport from sportswriters and old time sport fans... it will always be criticized more for the same things that other sports do.

performance enhancing drugs are used just as much in other sports, if not more, and mostly with less harsh penalties as baseball has... but, to put it this way...

very few people know how many yards rushed emitt smith had, or how many yards thrown dan marino had without looking the numbers up...

everyone knows how many homeruns hank aaron had.

baseball records seem to last longer. emmit broke walter paton's rushing record less than a decade after it was set.

aaron's record lasted over 30 years.

brett farve will (probably) break marion's td record before mid-season.

how long did roger maris' single season hr record stand?

baseball hsa plenty of records that may never be broken.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

everyone knows how many homeruns hank aaron had.
To wit, most sports fans know that Ted Williams was the last to hit over .400 (and most know it was .406), most know Dimaggio had a 56 game hit streak (and many know Pete Rose came closest at 44 in pursuit of it), and most know in addition to Hank's 755, Babe's 714.
Of course it can be aruge that these numbers are easier to remember than larger numbers like yardage in football, but baseball is a game about individual statistics much moreso than football, so these numbers stick with us.

I can't wait to see the ball go flying 20 yards backwards the first time Rex gets nailed by a Shaun Merriman blitz.

BIRDSEYE.jpg

TRANSITPLAZA.jpg

INBOWL.jpg

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J., September 5, 2007 - The owners of the New York Giants and the New York Jets officially broke ground today on the first stadium in history designed to be the permanent home of two NFL franchises. The $1.3 billion stadium—privately financed by Jets Development LLC and Giant Stadium LLC in a 50-50 joint venture—is scheduled for completion for the 2010 football season. It will seat 82,500 fans per game and host 20 NFL games per season, more than any other NFL stadium in the nation. It will also host numerous other events ranging from college football to international soccer, concerts and more.

New Jersey Governor Jon Corzine, State Senate President Richard Codey, New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority Chairman Carl Goldberg and NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell joined Jets Chairman and CEO Woody Johnson, Giants President and CEO John Mara and Giants Chairman and Executive Vice President Steve Tisch to unveil the design and sign a steel beam to kick off major construction. Dozens of additional public officials and special guests were also on hand for the ceremony, which was emceed by NFL Network anchor Rich Eisen.

The new facility will boast improved parking and transit options, enhanced tailgating opportunities, a new plaza radiating from the stadium filled with fan-centric activities, an intimate seating bowl, and cutting edge sound and signage. The 2.1 million square foot facility, which occupies 40 acres, is designed to be the most innovative and memorable spectator environment in professional sports.

The sleek profile of the technologically advanced new stadium will transform its look game-to-game to reflect the color, spirit and heritage of each home team. The outward appearance of the stadium’s eight-level aluminum louvered exterior will be illuminated by the colors and iconic imagery of the team playing that day. This imagery will be projected on the spectacular Great Wall, a huge (40x400-foot) frieze of panels visible through the louvers as well as on 2,500 high-definition displays throughout the stadium plus, 18,000 square feet of video display and league-high, four jumbo video boards in the bowl.

"Ensuring that the stadium would feel like home to both teams and both groups of fans was our goal and also one of the biggest challenges in the design of the stadium. With a unique combination of design elements, both teams will now be at home at the epicenter of football in a setting unmatched anywhere in the country," said Giants Chairman and Executive Vice President Steve Tisch. "Our ability to transform the building overnight also extends to meet the needs not only of each team on game day but can become a neutral building on non-game days."

Jets chairman and CEO Woody Johnson said, "Every aspect of a Sunday at the stadium will be radically different before fans even step foot inside. Improved highway access and redesigned parking lots will make the trip to the Meadowlands more efficient. A brand new rail facility will also provide fans a quick and convenient travel alternative. Once at the stadium, fans will enjoy enhanced tailgating opportunities and a new plaza filled with activities for fans of all ages."

Giants president and chief executive officer John Mara said, "The design of stadium and the seating bowl allows our fans the continued intimate feel of the current Giants Stadium, a characteristic that our players and fans love. Just like it is now for our fans, the open sightlines throughout will be enhanced by the four spectacular video screens in each corner. In addition, cutting edge sound systems, digital boards and electronic signage will work together to form an experience where everything has its place. The live experience will be unmatched anywhere in the NFL."

"We may dig up only a symbolic amount of dirt at today’s groundbreaking but this event actually represents a massive mobilization of resources, time, and energy," Governor Corzine said. "For me, this new stadium exemplifies the very best in public-private partnerships. The Jets, the Giants, and the State of New Jersey have developed a genuinely collaborative relationship to create the flagship stadium of the National Football League. This relationship is unique in the annals of the NFL and will create the best total fan experience in the league—bar none. Moreover, the combination of the new stadium and the extraordinary Xanadu entertainment and retail complex here will form the most distinctive, enjoyable, and exceptional family destination—right here in New Jersey."

"The stadium is a huge investment in the future of the Meadowlands and will anchor its overall revitalization," added State Senate President Richard Codey. "This world-class facility will be a beacon for the metropolitan region, attracting people for all types of events and providing fans with something to cheer about. New Jersey deserves nothing less."

"We are proud to call the Giants and Jets our home teams, today, and for years to come," said Assembly Speaker Joseph Roberts. "But the Meadowlands won’t only be an attraction on game days; it will serve as a year round destination for the entire tri-state area because of a brand new rail facility right in the heart of the Meadowlands Complex."

"It has been a pleasure to observe both franchises work together as true partners," said NJSEA Chairman Carl Goldberg. "Today’s announcement against the backdrop of construction on the new stadium is a testament to the joint vision of both teams to create a venue that will showcase the very best of the NFL and will complement Xanadu and the entire Meadowlands Complex."

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said, "This partnership between the Jets and Giants is unique not only for the NFL but in all of sports. A 100% privately financed stadium by two teams is unprecedented. Given the attention to detail that the ownership and their front office teams are putting into this stadium, it promises to be a first-class facility for Giants and Jets fans and a showcase for the NFL."

360 Architects, led by George Heinlein, is the design architect for the project and EwingCole is the architect of record. The world-renowned design team also includes wayfinding and fan experience designer Bruce Mau of Bruce Mau Design as well as interior designer David Rockwell of The Rockwell Group. Construction of the project is led by Skanska AB. The owners’ representative is Tishman Lehrer.

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE NEW STADIUM

Approaching the Stadium

Newly configured parking lots and easier access to parking through improved traffic patterns will make for smoother and shorter rides to and from the stadium. Access lanes into the Meadowlands will nearly triple from 16 to more than 40.

For maximum efficiency the parking lots will provide more than 27,500 spaces and will radiate from the stadium with more direct, easier access through road circulation improvements, the introduction of inner and middle loop road systems and dedicated areas for permit and non-permit parking.

But driving won’t be the only way to get to the stadium. A brand new rail facility will drop fans right at the front door giving thousands of patrons a quick, convenient travel alternative. Fans can travel to the new stadium via the rail link from New York’s Penn Station or Newark’s Penn Station in under 20 minutes. Plus, Metro North and other regional rail carriers are working on a one-seat ride to the new stadium.

Tailgating and the Plaza

Before and after the game there will be a whole new set of reasons to arrive early and stay late.

A 300,000 square-foot outdoor plaza will surround the entire stadium--filled with fan-centric activities and concessions including merchandise, new food and beverage options, restroom facilities and pre-game entertainment. From the biggest and best barbecue you’ll ever see to interactive games that pit you against your favorite NFL players - there will be something fun for fans of all ages.

Also planned for the future are new tailgating zones that will be linked to the stadium through pedestrian connections and offering fans ever-more ways to enjoy the hours before kick-off.

Inside the Stadium

A 400-foot-long and 40-foot-high Great Wall featuring brightly colored branding images of each team will serve as the grand entrance for game-day patrons.

Once inside the stadium, fans will encounter a dozen 16x9-foot, high-definition video displays spread throughout the seven concourses and the outside Plaza. Team stores will house 15,000 square feet of merchandise. Sponsor areas will occupy another 20,000 square feet of themed activities. Restaurants and bars will be spread around the building’s interior. The two main concourses will expand in to sizes ranging from 35-feet-wide to 70-feet-wide to accommodate fans as they enter, leave or congregate. Concession stands and restrooms will be located throughout the stadium.

When fans reach their seats, they will find a bowl design that strives to maintain the intimate feel of the current Giants Stadium, with front row seating only 46 feet from the field’s sidelines, uncompromised sightlines and unrestricted views for punts and to the scoreboards. A special field-level club between the 40-yard lines will provide fans even closer views of the gridiron and play host to post-game press conferences. Cutting edge sound systems, digital boards and electronic signage as well as massive 40x130 foot LED video screens in each of the four stadium corners will keep fans inspired by the best action and information.

phanan said:

I know you are a Bears fan, but you really can't be surprised by that.

I am kind of surprised. The Bears made the superbowl last year and where were the Chargers?

I know I know...last year was a fluke for the Bears. :rolleyes:

I can't wait to see the ball go flying 20 yards backwards the first time Rex gets nailed by a Shaun Merriman blitz.

He has to get the snap first...:wink:

Sure, overall that's easy to say...but the Saint's offense scored MORE points than the Colts if my memory serves me right. And the Bears beat the Saints to get to play the Colts. So they earned it no matter what all the haters say.

I'm not saying the Bears didn't earn their trip to the Super Bowl. But I am saying that the AFC clearly has better teams than the NFC, and if the Bears had to play in that conference, I don't believe they get to the Super Bowl, either.

Got Philk? said:
Sure, overall that's easy to say...but the Saint's offense scored MORE points than the Colts if my memory serves me right. And the Bears beat the Saints to get to play the Colts. So they earned it no matter what all the haters say.

Again, in the NFC.

They earned it, of course, they didn't cheat or anything, and they beat the teams they had to beat ... it still doesn't mean that their appearance in the Super Bowl makes them better than San Diego. A lot of people think San Diego is a Top 2 team in the league.

Until WildHoneyAlways shows up, I'm going to be arguing against everyone.

You're right. Lots of people think that they are #1 or 2 this year. But they have to prove it to me because they sure didn't show it in the playoffs last year against the Patriots. So to me, the Colts and the Pats are #1 or 2 right now and the Bears are close.

Some might say a qb away. I say a Brian Urlacher tackle on a Tom Brady first down scramble...that juke...:tsk:

Ask me right now who makes it to the superbowl from the NFC and I can't say confidently I think the Bears will. But, of course that will be my answer. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom