NFL 2007, Part One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
tpsreports2424 said:
I think if he never pleaded guilty, he would of been innocent... I mean look...

Michael Jackson was on 17 charges, 17 CHARGES!, and he was found innocent for raping children.

Kobe was charged for rape, hes innocent..

OJ Simpson got charges for murdering his whole family, and tried to escape on his court date!!! and was found innocent..

If he didnt plead guilty, there would of been a 5% chance he would of been guilty..

None of the people above had 3 co-defendents agree to a plea deal though.

tpsreports2424 said:
I think if he never pleaded guilty, he would of been innocent... I mean look...

Michael Jackson was on 17 charges, 17 CHARGES!, and he was found innocent for raping children.

Kobe was charged for rape, hes innocent..

OJ Simpson got charges for murdering his whole family, and tried to escape on his court date!!! and was found innocent..

If he didnt plead guilty, there would of been a 5% chance he would of been guilty..

Not true at all. None of those cases were Federal cases. If you get charged with federal crimes, then it's about 99% chance you're going to be found guilty. The Feds don't mess around. Charging you means they've got plenty of evidence against you.

tpsreports2424 said:

How do his still very much alive son and daughter feel about OJ murdering his whole family?

phanan said:

Well, the previous CNN story quoted above by BonoManiac suggests that the prosecution was looking at a 18-24 months prison term, with Vick's lawyers trying to bring that down a bit. It's quite likely the term will be less than two years.

The other part of this is the gambling, which in the NFL is a lifetime ban.

Mark Cuban will be welcoming Vick to his new league in a few years...
How about Vick playing for Jon Bon Jovi in the Arena League.

Hewson said:
Cause he's very classy, he'll even tell you as much.

Of course he would. He isn't in jail or at home whacking a few puppies to get his jollies.

The Eagles cut Trotter today, which was a good move. He's just too slow anymore to be effective. It's sad to see a leader leave, but he was really hurting the defense more than he was helping. Now it will be Spikes, Gaither, and Gocong.

phillyfan26 said:
The Eagles cut Trotter today, which was a good move. He's just too slow anymore to be effective. It's sad to see a leader leave, but he was really hurting the defense more than he was helping. Now it will be Spikes, Gaither, and Gocong.

That's a solid linebacker corps. Dawkins and Considine behind, and Lito and Sheldon Brown covering...wow, our defense is really something to fear. As long as Kearse doesn't get injured, we might have a decent line too.

Christ, I can't wait for the season to start. :drool:

Bettis said he faked injury to keep Steelers from cutting him

By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer
August 23, 2007

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Jerome Bettis, the No. 5 rusher in NFL history, claims in a new book that he faked a knee injury during training camp in 2000 so the Pittsburgh Steelers wouldn't cut him and install Richard Huntley as the starter.

Bettis was worried offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride favored Huntley over him and the Steelers were ready to let Bettis go, partly so they wouldn't have to give him a new contract. Huntley had just signed a $4 million, three-year contract.

"Man, did I do a nice job of acting," Bettis wrote in the book, "The Bus: My Life in and Out of a Helmet." "The thing is, I wasn't faking that I had an injury. I was just faking that the injury happened on that short-yardage play. I had to fool the coaches and the team's medical department into thinking the injury had occurred on that play. Otherwise, the Steelers would have had their reason to cut me and my salary."

Teams cannot cut an injured player during camp unless they reach an injury settlement with him.

"I effectively negated any funny business they were trying to pull on me," Bettis wrote in the book. "I took the pressure off a head coach (Bill Cowher) who was probably trying to get rid of me."

Bettis' recollection may be more anecdotal than fact-based.

While Bettis was held out early in that 2000 camp because of a hip injury, his knee injury -- the one Bettis said he faked -- was not revealed until later in camp. Huntley had a hamstring injury at the time and played in only one preseason game, gaining 13 yards.

Bettis didn't disclose how a player who was so injured that he missed all but a few days of camp could beat Bettis out of a job and force the Steelers to release him.

An MRI test by the Steelers during that camp revealed Bettis, who had undergone knee surgery the year before, had blood swelling behind his kneecap as a result of a hit during practice.

Bettis did not write in the book, co-written with Gene Wojciechowski, how a fresh injury that supposedly didn't occur could cause such test results. He did write that he showed up to camp with a knee problem that had occurred the season before.

Bettis, who had worked out extensively during the offseason before that camp, said at the time he was very relieved the injury wasn't worse.

"I was worried about it initially. The MRI showed a bone bruise," Bettis said. "That's when the blood came in. That was refreshing for me because whenever you're dealing with a knee and swelling, you always assume the worst. I assumed the worst, but it tuned out not to be the case."

Bettis would go on to rush for 1,341 yards that season and later signed a $30 million contract with the Steelers. Huntley gained only 217 yards and was cut after that season, hooking on with Carolina in 2001.

Bettis also wrote that the Steelers were never sold on Kordell Stewart as their quarterback -- despite giving him a $27 million, five-year contract before they moved into Heinz Field in 2001 -- and did everything possible to hand the job to Tommy Maddox.

In the book, Bettis said Stewart had become too rich for them as he entered the last year of his contract in 2002 and they wanted him out.

"Anybody who tells you money isn't a factor in personnel decisions doesn't know the NFL," Bettis wrote. "I can't prove it, but in my heart I really believe that Kordell was set up for failure that season."

Bettis was incorrect in writing that Stewart's contract was up that season; the deal ran through 2003.

Stewart had led the Steelers to a 13-3 record the season before and was chosen as the team MVP but played poorly in the playoffs, and that sub-par play and a visible lack of confidence carried into the 2002 season.

With Stewart at quarterback, the Steelers lost their first two games to New England (30-14) and Oakland (30-17) and were on the verge of losing a third, to Cleveland, when Cowher inserted Maddox late in the second half with Pittsburgh down 13-6. Maddox rallied the Steelers to a 16-13 overtime victory and would go on to start the rest of that season and in 2003, except for several games when he was hurt.

Stewart played so poorly at the start of 2002 that some teammates felt the team's season would be lost if he remained the starter. After Stewart was benched, there was no visible sentiment on that team that he should be reinstated.

Bettis also wrote that the Steelers became too reliant on the pass with Maddox, one reason they didn't go further in the 2002 playoffs; that he had an undisclosed appendectomy before the 1999 season; and that he became incensed when Steelers fans booed him early in the 2004 season for replacing Duce Staley in goal-line situations.

Methinks that former NFL running backs should not be writing books. Maybe some bookstores will refuse to carry this Betis' tome as well.

As a Pats' fan, I was quite confident in the team's chances as 10 point underdogs in the AFC title game in Jan 2002 in Pittsburgh. The reason: Kordell Stewart.
If I can see he sucked, and the entire Steeler staff and roster can see it, maybe Jerome needs glasses.

What an idiot. :down:

Marbury backs off Vick comments

Canadian Press
8/24/2007 9:13:59 AM

NEW YORK (AP) - New York Knicks guard Stephon Marbury backed off his defence of Michael Vick, according to newspaper reports Friday.

"What Michael Vick did was wrong, and he has admitted his guilt," Marbury said in a statement released by the Knicks to New York newspapers. "He should be punished. However, he should be given a second chance, as others have received for more serious crimes."

Marbury had made controversial comments Monday about the federal dogfighting conspiracy charges against Vick while promoting his basketball shoe in Albany.

"I think it's tough," Marbury said, according to Albany TV station Capital News 9. "I think, you know, we don't say anything about people who shoot deer or shoot other animals. You know, from what I hear, dogfighting is a sport. It's just behind closed doors."

Marbury expanded on those comments in the statement.

"There is no list for which animals should be killed and which shouldn't. I love animals and none of them should be harmed However, we don't react the same when other animals are being killed for sport or the sake of human pleasure."

I think Jesus asked him how he didn't gamble on dogfighting even though he bankrolled the whole operation and, therefore, probably got a piece of the action. Cuz, ya know, JC gots to know!

Michael Vick's sorry he got caught and that's it. Anyone who believes otherwise is a sap.

phillyfan26 said:
Michael Vick's sorry he got caught and that's it. Anyone who believes otherwise is a sap.

Bingo.

And I'm upset that Starbury is backing off his comments. Actually I have no opinion other than it's fun to call him Starbury.

Oh and can we make picks yet?

AFC Pats over Ravens
NFC Saints over Iggles
Superbowl Pats over Saints

The TV schedule for the Patriot's week 2 game against the Chargers is aggravating. They're on NBC at 8:00, the exact same time as Red Sox/Yankees late in the season on ESPN...but then again the Sox can virtually put the Yankees away this week.

powerhour24 said:
The TV schedule for the Patriot's week 2 game against the Chargers is aggravating. They're on NBC at 8:00, the exact same time as Red Sox/Yankees late in the season on ESPN...but then again the Sox can virtually put the Yankees away this week.

Damn ESPN, they love doing stuff like this. Take that stupid "Who's Now" thing they did, putting Brady vs. Papi...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom