New Zealand wins AUSTRALIAN Rules World Championships

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:

And let me just say this very loudly and clearly: American football is the biggest fucking joke in the entire world of sport. I'm tempted to make a thread about how much it sucks. It's worse than rugby's pansy half-brother; it's rugby's mentally deficient, pansy, bastard cousin who was dropped on its head as a baby, suffered from a lack of oxygen at birth, and is as predictable as reciting the alphabet in order from A to Z (that's 'zed', people, not bloody 'zee').

That is the best thing you have eva, eva said!!!!!!

This thread should now have 5 stars.

Tania said:

That is the best thing you have eva, eva said!!!!!!

This thread should now have 5 stars.

*takes a bow* Thank you! I'm sure I can conjure up more from where that came in an encore performance. :wink:

And five stars it is then!

timothius said:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3378389a1823,00.html

New Zealand are now the World Champions of Australian Rules football. Yes, that right - a game desinged, contrived and names after Australians has been ruled over by.... New Zealand.

Such are these times. :hyper:

Australia didn't even make the final. :lol:

Australia didn't make the final as it was a competition designed to promote interest of Australian Rules Football...in the hope that perhaps some players overseas may play professionaly. We created the competition and did not participate as it would be pointless a A) the international teams would have no chance
B) the game is already very physical and demanding on the body, there are more important things to worry about like making the finals and going for the Grand Final to win the Premiership. So what would be the point of risking players to be injured.

Its great as it also allows players overseas to participate in a event that would not be possible without the support of the AFL. I can guarantee you if Australia played we would absolutely slaughter any country.

Last edited:
GibsonGirl said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's too much!

I can't understand Aussie Rules football to save my life (my father and I have tried to watch it numerous times, but it just doesn't click with us). But I salute any game in which the Aussies get humiliated. Especially if the game is named after them!

The Aussies did not get humilated and would never be, Aussie Rules Football is a professional sport that players train hard and play for several months. There is no way that a team selected of the best AFL players would not beat a team of players who only play in amauter leauges overseas.

Axver said:
Geez, Australia's doing poorly at the moment. Not only can't they win the rugby or the cricket, but they can't even qualify for a tournament of a sport they invented!

I'd hate to be Australian right now. Or at any other time.

Again wrong. :|

Angela Harlem said:
You Kiwis have Little Man Syndrome. About the only thing you CAN do is rugby and sheep herding, so you gloat. Because you need to.

We play a tiny violin in your honour. It's tiny. Like your country and talent pool.

:hug:
And then there's the accent:

Milburn - capital of Victoria

Peck - to fill a suitcase

Pissed aside - chemical which kills insects

Pigs - for hanging out washing with

Pump - to act as agent for prostitute

Pug - large animal with a curly tail

Nin tin dough - computer game

Munner stroney - soup

Min - male of the species

Mess Kara - eye makeup

McKennock - person who fixes cars

Mere - Mayor

Leather - foam produced from soap

Lift - departed

Kiri Pecker - famous Australian businessman

Kittle crusps - potato chips

Jumbo - pet name for someone called Jim

Jungle Bills - Christmas carol

Inner me - enemy

Guess - vapour

Fush - marine creatures

Fitter cheney - type of pasta

Ever cardeau - avocado

Fear hear - blonde

Ear - mix of nitrogen and oxygen

Ear roebucks - exercise at the gym

Duffy cult - not easy

Amejen - visualise

Day old chuck - very young poultry

Bug hut - popular recording

Bun button - been bitten by insect

Beard - a place to sleep

Sucks peck - half a dozen beers

Ear New Zulland - an extinct airline

Beaz - National drink, consumed instead of water

Veerjun - mythical New Zealand maiden

One Doze - well known computer program

Brudge - structure spanning a stream

Sex - one less than sivven

Tin - one more than nine

Iggs Ecktly - Precisely

Earplane - large flying machine

Beggage Chucken - place to leave your suitcase at the earport

Sivven Sucks Sivven - large Boeing aircraft

Sivven Four Sivven - larger Boeing aircraft

Cuds - children

Pits - domestic animals

Cuttin - baby cat

:yes:

OK, I have no idea what 'beaz' is meant to be, and there's no difference in pronunciation between 'air' and 'ear' so there isn't exactly a joke there.

I honestly believe people who rip the NZ accent merely shows that they are arrogant & ignorant enough to believe that Australian is the definitive accent of the english speaking world. :rollseyes:

But whatever.

Originally posted by blueeyedgirl
:lol: There is in English!

No there isn't ... :confused:

By the way, I'm surprised that thing doesn't have a go at NZ's pretty unique pronunciation of '-wn' words such as 'grown' as 'growin'.

timothius said:
I honestly believe people who rip the NZ accent merely shows that they are arrogant & ignorant enough to believe that Australian is the definitive accent of the english speaking world. :rollseyes:

But whatever.

I would say the Brits can take the title of definitive accent, if anyone can. And the Kiwi accent is 'colonial British' to me; definitely more British than the horribly nasal Aussie one that the world could do without!

timothius said:

But whatever.
:huh: I suppose you think we all speak like Paul Hogan then?

I think Brendan Nelson is an absolute idiot, so we shall leave anything he says out of it. Bloody fool!

timothius said:

But whatever.

Jesus, buddy. All you do in here and the music forum is rip on this country and it's people. Someone posts a well known jab at your accent and you cannot handle it. Your posts are ironicly a prime example of either snitty little ego boosting, or as equally as arrogant and ignorant to Australia. There's such a thing as NZ/Aussie rivalry which you have simply bypassed and moved into offensive territory in. No one here raised the Australian accent above the Kiwi one. If you cannot handle some taking the piss, then stop trying to dish it out. Your posts of late are way above and beyond taking the piss, but people are trying to tolerate it. Dont cry because of a longstanding joke.

And for the record, there is no such thing as an Australian convict. We've never sent our people anywhere for crimes against bakeries. Blame those limp wristed poms for that!

Angela Harlem said:

Jesus, buddy. All you do in here and the music forum is rip on this country and it's people.

I don't recall ever making any comments regarding the "country and it's people". Anything that would come close to that would be the jabbing regarding Australia's convict heritage - which I would place on a par with any accent comments. If anything the comments in the past pertaining to New Zealander's engaging in sexual acts with sheep are probably the most offensive thing said in this forum on the topic. :shrug:

I have no idea where that comes from in B&C? I have posted 2 adoration threads for Australian bands in the past few weeks. :lol:

Angela Harlem said:

Someone posts a well known jab at your accent and you cannot handle it. Your posts are ironicly a prime example of either snitty little ego boosting, or as equally as arrogant and ignorant to Australia.

I was merely stating why I thought many Australians mock the New Zealand accent. It came from a similar place as your "small-man syndrome" comment.

Angela Harlem said:

If you cannot handle some taking the piss, then stop trying to dish it out. Your posts of late are way above and beyond taking the piss, but people are trying to tolerate it.

I can handle it, but am I not allowed right of reply? :shrug:

Honestly, I'm not trying to be abusive in any way. I am merely posting my views on sport, which this forum is designed to do. I'm honestly sorry if I have caused any offence by any of my comments - but in the most part - I stick by them. I'm incredibly passionate about my sport, especially my cricket and my rugby - please do not misconstrue any of my comments as personal attacks - I generally distinguish that my comments are directed only at the players/teams/sport and not the people in general.

Anyway I think that the past month or so has seen this sub-forum pick up a great deal.. and I think that is only a good thing. Hopefully this has cleared the air, we can put this behind us and get onto some constructive sports discussion... which is somthing I would like a lot. :)

:extendsolivebranch:

Last edited:
olive branches :up:

Ok. Perhaps I am misreading your comments, I'll accept that. All I have seen is you either mocking Australian teams and our sport, or being outright insulting to the country I happen to call home. The funny thing is, if anyone else did it, it wouldn't bother me at all, but because of how so many of us view you lot over there, it has seemed out of place. More negative than friendly rivalry or something. I cant honestly say there is any serious animosity between our countries, if anything it is like a sibling relationship. If you do happen to think we're not so bad, I'm pleased. But to constantly hear how you guys reckon we are a bunch of losers is getting very annoying, especially considering that in terms of sport and capability, our 2 countries in terms of size are probably 2 of the greatest in the world. We've got bugger all population between us, and yet we are no wallflowers. Lets take cricket for example. I've been thoroughly bored with the sport for about the last 10 years. We've had no competition and the sport has suffered. I've always tried very hard to never gloat about it for 2 reasons 1. Because there is no point when the wins seemed so...mundane, and we were so complacent. and 2. Because it just isn't sporting to be a bad sport when you are either on top or on the bottom. Ie, if you're on the top, you don't put down the rest. If you're on the bottom, you hope that people will return that favour. Friendly jabbing is one thing, but being unsportsman-like is something else again. Take your AFL thread. As lighthearted as it is, bring one of your regional teams over or even your national side to play against either the Eagles, the Crows or even the Swans. Mate, we'd wipe the floor with you guys. Our teams are in the midst of finals build up. I dont know who exactly played in this comp you posted about, perhaps it was some of our club players but I do doubt it would be many. Something is telling me the coaches aren't willing to risk injuries and so on this late in the season for some mock-up game between you guys and us. To preen over that is like us swanning about every time we win the cricket and flipping the bird to the poms and saying "we beat you at your own sport! Hahaha!" It's like, 'who cares?'

Anyway, I'm rambling on now. I might be imagining it, but it has seemed if it cant involve knocking Australia, you have no comment. BEG (i think it was) posted something very similar to what you have done nothing but recently (though more negative at times, you have to admit!), and you seemed to get truly annoyed. No one wants that, we all have to play fair. So I'm happy for an olice branch. :) I'll be a lot more relaxed once the semis are over for the AFL and I can get a better idea of where we'll finish. I'm not being the most rational person lately!
:shifty:

Back
Top Bottom