New York here I come!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
I'm going to New York in May. Does anyone have any suggestions about what I can see? How about restaurants? I'd like to go to an Italian place.

Carmines, if you want an Italian resteraunt.
places to see....hmm well it depends what you're interested in.

If we're talking about great Italian restaurants in New York City, then I highly recommend Ecco in the financial district. I believe it's on Chambers St. and the food was delicious with excellent service. :drool: :up:

Oh, wow, there are so many Italian Restaurants to choose from Carmine's is a little overrated to me, but, yeah, but there's Lupa, Esca and Babbo for starters. Too many options to list here.

I'd be remiss if I did not suggest you make a stop at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It looks boring on the outside, but it's wonderful on the inside, and it's nestled against Central Park.

NYC is a lot of good and bad things, but it's, to me, the most amazing man-made place on Earth. I hope you enjoy it.

BonoManiac said:
I really love The Met!!

It's one of my favorite places in the world.

There's a great room with glass for a wall, overlooking the park. There's Greek sculpture in there, with plants and off to the right is a Frank Lloyd Wright sample room. I love to sit in there and read or listen to my Ipod and people watch.

I LOVED Carmines!! I have a photo somewhere of me and a friend attempting the "Titanic" desert - very yummy and very very naughty!!

I also loved the Blue Water Grill in Union Square for very yummy seafood. I sat on the same table as Carrie did on SATC there :blush:.

For a drink and nice bar food, I would recommend Merchants NY at 112 Seventh Ave, Chelsea. I knew the people who owned this bar, and another, so I might be a little bit biases, but i had the best mojitos and green apple martinis here. I also seem to remember great lobster ravioli.:drool:

As for what to do? What ISN'T there to do? I loved the Met, and the museum of natural history. Central Park. Times Square. The Guggenheim. The highlight of my trip tho was going to see NY Rangers play at Madison Square Gardens - that was awesome!!

Oh God....I want to go back SOOOO badly:(

mandy1973 said:
Oh God....I want to go back SO-OOO badly:(

mandy1973 said:

mandy1973 said:

mandy1973 said:

mandy1973 said:

mandy1973 said:

mandy1973 said:

:sigh:

zonelistener said:

No, they do not take Canadian money. :wink:

I found that one out the hard way when trying to cross the Triborough Bridge on the way to LaGuardia to get zoney, Schmeg, and LMPA. They gave me a ticket for $6 :lmao:

But be forwarned, it is a bitch to try to find a foreign currency exchange. Do it before you go. Banks don't seem to be willing to do it (at least the ones on Broadway in the Upper West Side), and on the weekends most of the exchanges are closed. I had to go from the West 90's to Times Square just to find one, and got charged out the ass for the privilege of getting US dollars. :grumpy:

Doozer61 said:
i know it's a little touristy but i loved the boat tour of the island. :up:

we also went to the Neue Galerie, which has exhibits of German and Austrian art. It's near the Guggenheim.

The Circle Line is so fun and you get a lot of great stories about New York.

Tea and Sympathy in the Village is fantastic, as is Milk & Cookies and Magnolia for cupcakes.

I go twice yearly, at Christmas to see the stores dressed for the Holidays and to attend the theatre and again in May because springtime in New York is the best season to see it. This year I will make the trip again in September for the last games at Yankee Stadium.

I just wanted to say that some of my best memories of New York are the ones that just happened. My advice to you is to not rush and try to see everything. New York is best when you allow the city to amaze you. Look around, experience the small things that are only found in New York.

Matsui said:
I go twice yearly, at Christmas to see the stores dressed for the Holidays and to attend the theatre and again in May because springtime in New York is the best season to see it. This year I will make the trip again in September for the last games at Yankee Stadium.

I just wanted to say that some of my best memories of New York are the ones that just happened. My advice to you is to not rush and try to see everything. New York is best when you allow the city to amaze you. Look around, experience the small things that are only found in New York.

Matsui, I hope you show up for more than some September games.

zonelistener said:

Hey Dave....Verte lives in the U.S. - she will not have a need to exchange money. :wink:

Yeah, thought I was talking to BonoManiac for a sec there, and I started ranting :reject:

I gotta go back sometime in summer. It was fuckin' cold when we were there.

Another tip, verte: If someone tries to sell you a CD in Times Square, don't buy it unless you plan on having 20 more guys come up to you trying to sell you theirs, too. You can blow through your last 50 bucks in a real hurry :huh:

DaveC said:

But be forwarned, it is a bitch to try to find a foreign currency exchange.

Why would you try to? Don't you have a debit card that works on the Cirrus system? Or the Plus system? I never even take US cash with me, there is no need anymore.

I've got a credit card through my bank with which I can withdraw money from any ATM anywhere in the world and I don't pay a cent. That comes in very handy.

anitram said:

Why would you try to? Don't you have a debit card that works on the Cirrus system? Or the Plus system? I never even take US cash with me, there is no need anymore.

Nope. I tried that, and my bank apparently doesn't allow international transactions with the type of account I have. If I want that ability, I have to pay extra.

DaveC said:

Nope. I tried that, and my bank apparently doesn't allow international transactions with the type of account I have. If I want that ability, I have to pay extra.

Usually it's something like $5/transaction in those situations. That is a wash if you take out a bunch of $ at once.

I have it for free in the US, but I get levied the $5 in Europe which is a bit annoying.

Back
Top Bottom