New Tori Amos record

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I picked it up but haven't had a chance to listen to it. I can say, though, that I really do not like the artwork at all. The photos strike me as ego-driven and the artwork marketed for adolescent girls. I wish she'd go back to Choirgirl and To Venus and Back-type art.

Wow, I guess Tori is someone I can criticize as passionately as I can worship, lol!

I got the album (regular version). Have not listened to it yet, but they did have it on at the shop I got it at. Sounded quite good. They gave me 2 different free posters upon purchase, nice.

HeartlandGirl said:

I missed her on Letterman. :scream: :(

Couldn't find a video clip but here are some stills:

letterman01.jpg

letterman04.jpg

pub crawler said:
haha, okay u2popmofo, I WILL. :hyper: :wink: Seriously, thanks for the title suggestion. I wouldn't have known where to start.

Did you get it yet, did you? DID YOU??
:wink:

I got the limited edition version of Beekeeper and I just noticed it's an odd size that doesn't fit on my CD shelf unless you turn it sideways but then you can't read the spine. :mad:

Okay, back to my listening party. So far so good.

Very nice outfit and hairstyle for the Letterman performance. :yes:

Yes, I am beekeepering today. Picked up the album after work and managed to listen to the first six songs driving to and from yoga class. Quite enjoyed the ending of 'Barons of Suburbia' and was pleased to hear 'Sleeps With Butterflies' in all its CD glory.

I haven't had time to look through the booklet much, but I will say this. I have really liked the designs on the actual CDs for this album and for Scarlet's Hidden Treasures. Maybe because I like the color pink, but I think they're both very pretty CDs. :)

Hoping to finish the album sometime tonight. I guess we're supposed to listen to it all the way through, but is anyone planning to listen to it by garden? I hope to eventually, just to see how that all fits together.

I also got a free poster with my purchase. A small one. But apparently mofo got a small and big one! Very nice! :up:

HeartlandGirl said:
Quite enjoyed the ending of 'Barons of Suburbia' and was pleased to hear 'Sleeps With Butterflies' in all its CD glory.

That ending really caught my attention, too. Reminds me of the ending of Professional Widow. Sleeps with Butterflies is beautiful.

I haven't had time to look through the booklet much, but I will say this. I have really liked the designs on the actual CDs for this album and for Scarlet's Hidden Treasures. Maybe because I like the color pink, but I think they're both very pretty CDs. :)

Maybe it's just me then, being all grumpy and stuff. :reject:

I guess we're supposed to listen to it all the way through, but is anyone planning to listen to it by garden? I hope to eventually, just to see how that all fits together.
Sure, I'll give it a listen to by garden--probably not until I get to know the record a little better, though.

I also got a free poster with my purchase. A small one. But apparently mofo got a small and big one! Very nice! :up:

Where's my damn poster? :mad: Oh yeah, I got a mix of flower seeds which I'll definitely plant in my little yard.

Hey, I'm on my song--Martha's Foolish Ginger--it's quite nice! I'm also loving the title song.

Listening to this record reminds me of the first time I listened to Scarlet's Walk in that there are so many songs, and they all kinda flow together, so that it's hard to imagine a time when I will know these songs by heart. It's fun. :)

I've been a bit turned off by the reviews of this album since I didn't love Scarlet's Walk.

Did you guys see her on Daily Download on FUSE today? Very tough lady to interview, but the performance of "Leather" was fun.

I dunno. You girls keep me posted on what you think about this one.

I'm on the third listen and I think I'm on my way to falling in love with it. But I also loved Scarlet's Walk.

I did not see that interview, but I know she's tough. That's our Tori. :wink:

I just saw that 'The Beekeeper' is the #1 downloaded album on iTunes for the day. :up:

Well, there was a presale for her tour this morning and I came up empty handed for Denver, which is unheard of. I got right through with no problem and it said no tickets available. Weird. It's the only presale I've never gotten tickets for Tori. I remember for Scarlet's Walk I spent a good hour tossing decent tickets back into the pool until I finally settled on 5th row center and people were still getting good seats in the presale the next day. :huh: Now, didn't even get offered anything.

Of course they're all bitching over in the Tori forum (I couldn't help but peek but it's so scary over there) about what a scam the presale is, and how is it possible that one minute after tickets went on sale (through her website, I might add, not Ticketmaster) they were already up on ebay for $250 (her tickets are only $43), and "at least U2 loves their fans enough to try to make it right" lol...

Oh well.

I'm really enjoying the album. It's nothing mindblowing, but it's very accessible for a Tori album... without sacrificing integrity.

joyfulgirl said:
Of course they're all bitching over in the Tori forum (I couldn't help but peek but it's so scary over there) about what a scam the presale is, and how is it possible that one minute after tickets went on sale (through her website, I might add, not Ticketmaster) they were already up on ebay for $250 (her tickets are only $43),

That sucks about not getting tickets.

Goes looking for the "I'm gonna take all my tori stuff and make a bonfire now" thread.

I'm sorry you weren't able to get tickets, joyful. I'm hoping she adds more dates to this tour soon so we can all go see her.

I've been really busy, so it took me four days to make it through the album, but I finally did! I listened to it in thirds, and I must say, I was especially impressed with the last third. I'm hoping that I'll have enough time this weekend to listen to it all the way through, start to finish.

I still havent listened to it. I will this weekend. If I dont, you can all tar and feather me or something.

HeartlandGirl said:
I'm sorry you weren't able to get tickets, joyful. I'm hoping she adds more dates to this tour soon so we can all go see her.

I've been really busy, so it took me four days to make it through the album, but I finally did! I listened to it in thirds, and I must say, I was especially impressed with the last third. I'm hoping that I'll have enough time this weekend to listen to it all the way through, start to finish.

Yes, it's the last third I'm grooving on, too, although I haven't had time to listen to it at all the last couple of days.

I had a huge meeting this morning (yes, on a Saturday :grumpy: ) when the general sale started but The One Formerly Known as The Housemate managed to get us some nice loge seats in a theatre with a seating capacity of 1900. He's a ticketmaster newbie and was a nervous wreck, lol, and thought he'd done badly, but I don't see how we can go wrong with 4th row loge in an intimate theater. My only advice was don't get us in the first 5 rows on the far right because we won't see her over the piano (I've had that experience). So I'm excited. I've never seen her solo before.

Now if I can just get the day off from work and U2 tickets for the very next night. :combust:

And for the summer tour maybe she'll play Phoenix in which case I am there. :sexywink: She doesn't always come to Abq.

I got it on Friday and I've only listened to it all the way through once, but I really like it. I don't feel like it needs to grow on me the way all her albums since From the Choirgirl Hotel have; I think it has more intimacy, more of a personal feel, than any album since that one. And this is coming from someone who really did like Scarlet's Walk, for all the apathy with which that one seemed to be greeted by a lot of Tori fans (not saying anyone here, just some other people I know who like her).

I did the same thing with this one that I did with HTDAAB--didn't download, even tried to avoid reading the lyrics that were posted here--and so I was really blown away by "Sleeps with Butterflies," especially. That's one of my early faves, along with "Sweet the Sting" and "Hoochie Woman."

:up:

Has anyone seen the DVD that comes with the Limited Edition? I finally watched it last night for the first time. I can now officially confirm that Tori is completely off her rocker, lol. This DVD is a perfect example of the reason people make fun of her. As my friend, watching it with me, said, "She should have kept this to herself." :lol:

I really like The Beekeeper, though. Not as much as Scarlet's Walk but it's growing on me more each day. I think the only song that I sorta don't like is "Ribbons Undone." But I think these songs are going to sound great live, and solo, so I'm looking forward to the show next month.

Finally spending some quality time with this album.

Current favorites, in order of favoriteness:
The Beekeeper
Martha's Foolish Ginger
Sleeps With Butterflies
Parasol
Hoochie Woman
The Power of Orange Knickers
Barons of Suburbia
Goodbye Pisces
Witness

Least Favorites:
Cars and Guitars
Mother Revolution
Ribbons Undone

I know the first list is kinda long, but I think that's a good thing! And the album's 19 songs long! I don't blame mofo at all for not getting to it yet. I myself find it a bit difficult to find enough time to listen to it all the way through in one sitting. Enjoying it a lot, though! :up:

HeartlandGirl said:

Least Favorites:
Cars and Guitars
Mother Revolution
Ribbons Undone

That's funny--the other night Mother Revolution caught my attention for the first time and I decided I liked it. I agree with your other two least favorites, though.

I listened to the new album a few times over now and at least right now I feel that it would have been a lot stronger with a little bit of editing. It starts off really well and then gets bogged down with so-so songs with no real interesting melodies and doesn't pick up for me until The Beekeeper. And I kinda miss the turbulence and sense of melodrama I loved about her earlier stuff; here it's more muted and the quirkiness more ironed out.

Saracene said:
I kinda miss the turbulence and sense of melodrama I loved about her earlier stuff; here it's more muted and the quirkiness more ironed out.

Agreed.
I'm really liking Martha's Foolish Ginger right now though

Saracene said:
I listened to the new album a few times over now and at least right now I feel that it would have been a lot stronger with a little bit of editing. It starts off really well and then gets bogged down with so-so songs with no real interesting melodies and doesn't pick up for me until The Beekeeper. And I kinda miss the turbulence and sense of melodrama I loved about her earlier stuff; here it's more muted and the quirkiness more ironed out.

Overall, I agree with you. I read one very good review that had it listed under "easy listening" and I was horrified at the time, having not heard the record yet, but I have to admit this is her most adult contemporary record. If it were anyone else but Tori, I probably wouldn't like it but because it's Tori, I've given it a lot more time and attention. I long for another Choirgirl. Still, I can hear how many of these songs will sound live and, at least as of the last tour, the magic in her live shows is still alive and well and I enjoyed the last tour even more than previous ones.

So has anyone planted the seeds that came with the CD? I had some extra potting soil lying around, so I bought a big flowerpot yesterday. Think I'll give it a go! I feel like maybe it's plant abuse to put wildflowers in a pot, but living in an apartment, I don't have any other choice. I think it will be cool to see what comes up.

Going to try to plant them when I need a break from work today. I'll let you guys know what happens.

Also, The Power of Orange Knickers is currently my favorite song. I was kind of :uhoh: the first time I heard it, but now, I'm all about it. :up:

Back
Top Bottom