New Skating Thread: Starting in an Hour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jezebel

War Child
I'm starting a new thread for the Ladies figure skating competition for tonight, cause the other thread loads so slowly on my home computer because of all the pix...

so post your comments here!!!!! Here we go
biggrin.gif

BTW, Bode Miller is my new hero
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by jezebel (edited 02-21-2002).]

hehe. I'll bite. I'm about to leave work for home and my pc there HATES loading pics as well.

Jim Shea is my new hero.
biggrin.gif

And Apolo Anton Ohno is definitely way up there too.

oh my dear sweet lord. I don't believe I've seen an upset like this in all the time I've watched figure skating.
eek.gif
wow. I do have to agree...Sarah definitely was the best of the night. Michelle was too conservative and didn't pack enough jumps into her program. But one thing I AM a bit miffed about is the ridiculous marks for Slutskaya. 5.9 for artistic? Give me a freaking break!!! There is no way in hell that her presentation marks should have been higher than Kwan.

*sigh*

Anyways, it was a good competition. Call me evil, but I don't care much for Cohen, and I wasn't unhappy to see her fall back. I just ache for Michelle tho. gah. 4 more years of training and hard work and she gets knocked DOWN a step on the podium. One can only wonder what might have been...

Jezebel: So your computer can't load pics? No wonder you're not a PLEBA girl!
wink.gif

Feelings on the skating:

They are mixed. I am heartbroken for Michelle but so excited for Sarah. It was a very intense, emotional experience for everyone, including me! I was so happy for Sarah when the results were announced, I almost forgot to be sad for Michelle- I thought I'd cry if she lost. I did feel her pain, but also Sarah's joy.

I think the main thing here is that justice prevailed- Sarah WAS the BEST. She tried so hard, maybe too hard, and Michelle made mistakes. Irina, realizing the door was left open by Michelle, let the nerves get the best of her too and she slipped up. Michelle is one of the best skaters ever, and will always be. But tonight, Sarah Hughes was the best. I had no confidence in the judges, but they did the right thing.(though I do think Irina's marks were too high) This was Sarah's night. She deserved it. Michelle and Irina deserved medals too and they got them, I know they wish they were gold, but they had their chance. Sarah had been 4th after the free skate and they were first and second. It was theirs to lose. Maybe that was the key. Like the Buffalo Bills and Minnesota Vikings in their 4th tries in the Super Bowl, played not to win but not to lose. Those teams lost.

Sarah said, she thought she didn't have a chance after finishing 4th in the short program, so in her long program she went for it and had fun and gave it everything.

Thinking she had nothing to lose, Sarah Hughes had everything to win. She won an Olympic gold medal.

Congratulations Sarah. You got it!

Michelle too. You are class and you will always hold a golden spot in our hearts.

[This message has been edited by *Stormy* (edited 02-21-2002).]

sula, there you are, I was wondering what your thoughts were....I agree with you about Slutskaya, her presentation marks were way too high but her performance was more technical than Michelles'. But of course Sarah was better than both, truly an amazing performance!!! Good for her!

tiny dancer, so true, Michelle is one classy lady, I'm sure she'd rather be bawling her eyes out in a back room
frown.gif

stormy, yeah, my pc can load pix but it's really slow
frown.gif

[This message has been edited by jezebel (edited 02-21-2002).]

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
oh my dear sweet lord. I don't believe I've seen an upset like this in all the time I've watched figure skating.
eek.gif
wow. I do have to agree...Sarah definitely was the best of the night. Michelle was too conservative and didn't pack enough jumps into her program. But one thing I AM a bit miffed about is the ridiculous marks for Slutskaya. 5.9 for artistic? Give me a freaking break!!! There is no way in hell that her presentation marks should have been higher than Kwan.

*sigh*

Anyways, it was a good competition. Call me evil, but I don't care much for Cohen, and I wasn't unhappy to see her fall back. I just ache for Michelle tho. gah. 4 more years of training and hard work and she gets knocked DOWN a step on the podium. One can only wonder what might have been...

I pretty much agree with what everything you've said, Sula. I was actually really happy to see Sarah get the gold - she definitely deserved it and I like her attitude - she's very down to earth and doesn't at all come across like a princess (*cough*SashaCohen*cough*).

But I was fairly pissed at the marks the Russians gave Slutskaya in both technical and artistic. 5.9 for technical marks was way off, and 5.9 for artistic is just insane. And notice how it was the eastern bloc judges who gave her those. Too bad there wasn't a way that Sarah could've won gold and Michelle silver.

Hehe, yep, another guy who watched ladies figure skating. *runs away and hides*
biggrin.gif

Sarah definatly deserved the gold. I'm not sure I've seen her before but already in the short program I really liked her and wished her a better place. When I saw her in the free program she just blowed my mind. So technical and beautiful.

About Kwan.... Feel free to shoot me but I can't really see what's so special about her. She doesn't do anything special, her jumps isn't spectacular at all. And she doesn't "speak" on the ice at all, at least not to me. The same with Slutskaya, but at least she has some specialties like the bielman(?) piruette and special jump combinations.

Congrats US for the well deserved gold by Sarah Hughes!!

Just read on cnn.com that the Russian skater Slutskaya felt she deserved the gold. Can you believe her arrogant attitude? Sarah gave a preformance of a lifetime, and it was speculator!
smile.gif

Slutskaya and her country should be happy she got the marks she did. As it was, they were extremely lenient and gave her much more credit for presentation than she deserved. All this amounts to is Russian bad sportsmanship and indignance over the results in the pairs competition. Now they are demanding a duplicate gold be awarded to Slutskaya. Ahh, but the crucial difference between this and the pairs competition? In that one, the perfect skaters were punished...this time the best competitor won albeit surprisedly. In the pairs competition, bribery and vote-swapping was involved, THAT's why the second gold was awarded. Not because the Canadians complained loud enough, but because of rigged judging. So, really the Russians haven't got a leg to stand on here. If the judging was rigged at all, it was rigged in their favor. Oh and get this...apparently there were those in the Russian delegation last night that actually CLAPPED when Michelle Kwan stumbled on her jumps. Talk about poor sportsmanship...

[This message has been edited by sulawesigirl4 (edited 02-22-2002).]

Well, the judging was probably the most fair in the women's event due to the recent Russian drop-out scandal thing.

While I'm thrilled to bits over Sarah Hughes, I feel so terrible for both Irina and Michelle. Esp. Michelle--who trained the last four years for this and it slipped away. She's been the best American women's skater for the longest time (close to a decade)--she should remember that. She'll always be the crowd favouite...and maybe remembered more for the gold that she didn't win...

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
Slutskaya and her country should be happy she got the marks she did. As it was, they were extremely lenient and gave her much more credit for presentation than she deserved. All this amounts to is Russian bad sportsmanship and indignance over the results in the pairs competition. Now they are demanding a duplicate gold be awarded to Slutskaya. Ahh, but the crucial difference between this and the pairs competition? In that one, the perfect skaters were punished...this time the best competitor won albeit surprisedly. In the pairs competition, bribery and vote-swapping was involved, THAT's why the second gold was awarded. Not because the Canadians complained loud enough, but because of rigged judging. So, really the Russians haven't got a leg to stand on here. If the judging was rigged at all, it was rigged in their favor. Oh and get this...apparently there were those in the Russian delegation last night that actually CLAPPED when Michelle Kwan stumbled on her jumps. Talk about poor sportsmanship...

[This message has been edited by sulawesigirl4 (edited 02-22-2002).]

Right on Sula! You tell it like it is!

Back
Top Bottom