New Radiohead album announced The King of Limbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
just caught this on the Guardian!

i like the song Lotus Flower, but find the video a bit self-indulgent at the beginning... corporeal expression crap type thing... prefer it when he lets loose properly later on...

i normally love the way he dances though - he was awesome when i saw him live...

only Radiohead can release an album earlier than planned :D

One other thing...I remember Thom and Jonny saying that they were big fans of Portishead's Third, and I can definitely hear the influence of that particular band on this album.

Go to the website for the album and log in; the files should be available in your purchase information.

Whoa -- I just downloaded the album, but my computer telling me I need Winzip to open it -- and the cost is $29.95 minimum. Any ways around this?

Just download WinRar. It's a trial version and says it expires, but it never actually does.

I'm shocked by how quickly it downloaded from the site. Let's do this.

Wow. Ok. Fuck it, this is a new Radiohead album. Doesn't happen all that often, so I'm going to type out some disorganized (and probably shitty) track by track first impressions here.

SPOILERS! SPOILERS!

Bloom:

The first little twinkling notes are lovely, but they're quickly covered up by a sort of frantic, off-kilter, almost abrasive and ugly drumbeat. One of those twitchy rhythms that we've heard on The Eraser, and other things. Not sure what to make of it. Thom singing something about "...the ocean blue, it's what keeps me alive..." Cool, simple little bass line underneath everything.

Morning Mr. Magpie:

More direct, right from the start. "You got some nerve comin' here." Definitely one of my favorites on first listen. "You stole it all, give it back."

The chorus made me smile. The image of Thom Yorke walking up to a tiny little bird in the morning and greeting him, perhaps with a tip of the hat, is funny. And cool.

Little By Little:

"Little by little, by hook or by crook. I'm such a tease, and you're such a flirt."

Pretty good. So far, none of this is exactly my preferred style of Radiohead.

Feral:

It's official. We have a fucking weird Radiohead album on our hands. Whoa. Thom's vocals are all fucked up. Crazy echo effect on there. More twitchy drums. Not destined to be a favorite song, at all. But that's just me. Cool title, though.

Lotus Flower:

Pretty melody, probably the purest so far. Sounds like his In Rainbows voice. It's going to need more listens, obviously, like everything on the album. I get the feeling that there's shit going on under the surface, that will become more apparent later. Probably should be listening to this on headphones. Oh well. For instance, the bass line here on this song. It sounds like it could be awesome, but it also sounds very low in the mix.

Codex:

Piano!

A traditional instrument! Yes!

And the song is gorgeous. My favorite on first listen. Fucking Codex, everybody. And, at the end, we get the sounds of birds and insects chirping which flows seamlessly into the next track...

Give Up The Gun:

Acoustic guitar!

Another traditional instrument!

"Don't hurt me."

This gets progressively more spooky as it goes along, Lots of layered vocals, along with the spare guitar. Yeah, this is pretty good.

Separator:

"If you think this is over, then you're wrong."

Prominent drumbeat. Nice guitar comes in halfway through. Hmmmm.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, this is a strange album. I'm also fairly sure that it's very good. Just don't know where it is on the scale of "very good," yet. I don't think it will end up being a personal favorite RH album, but who knows. I'm going to have a cigarette, probably go out and buy a cup of coffee, and then I'm going to listen to it again.

It's not nearly as immediate as In Rainbows. For a band filled with at least three excellent electric guitar players, there is very little electric guitar. And, like I said, that drumming style is not exactly my favorite, although I don't hate it either.

As far as just first listens go, it's probably their least immediate and accessible album. Well, maybe Amnesiac was a bit tougher.

But this album will not be easy. People will dislike this. I'm totally going to stop typing now. Much love, everybody. Hope everybody has fun, stays safe, and has a good day. Peace.

I did the same thing GAFFER:

1. Bloom – An (almost literally) offbeat, understated, atmospheric opening, with stilted, jerky electronic percussion, a repetitive Glass-ian piano figure, swirling orchestral ambience over which floats Thom Yorke’s ethereal mumble. Simultaneously deeply weird and inviting, Bloom leaves me tingling with delicious anticipation. Which is, oddly enough, just about what you might expect.
2. Morning Mr Magpie – The lightness of the percussive drive seems to cross a kind of African marimba groove with an almost blues rock guitar chug, breaking down intermittently with flashes of south London dubstep ambience. “You’ve got some nerve coming here / you stole it all, give it back” sings Yorke, his sweet melodiousness giving the lie to the later accusation. “You took my melody.” Sinister and upbeat at the same time. They are (as ever) masters of musical dichotomy.
3. Little By Little – Tumbles down and spills out of the speakers, like an accidental collision of country music and free form jazz constructed around a climbing and falling bassline and more tingling toybox percussion. “I’m such a tease and you’re such a flirt” sings Yorke in a broken falsetto. Indeed. Even with reversed guitars and ghostly monk choruses humming deep in the background, there is a tenderness to this Radiohead album, so far, that suggests seduction rather than attack.
4. Feral – Instrumental that maintains the late night post-dubstep ambient intimacy blended with a light almost jazz-African percussive groove.
5. Lotus Flower – The single, and it’s a beauty. The bass lopes elegantly over a gentle, loose limbed drum pattern. Yorke’s singing is light and mellifluous, almost floating above the groove as he promises “I’ll set you free.” Spacey echoes lend a Pink Floyd trippiness, if you can imagine the Floyd remixed by Burial for a post clubbing chill out in an urban underground car park.
RELATED ARTICLES
Radiohead rush forward digital album release 18 Feb 2011
Radiohead are big teases 18 Feb 2011
Radiohead's Tokyo gig fiasco 18 Feb 2011
Thom Yorke is King of dancing Limbs 18 Feb 2011
6. Codex – Sweet, sensitive piano, at a ballad pace, with the harmonic notes of horns and orchestra so distant as to barely intrude. Again, Yorke’s vocal is gentle and mellifluous, as he invites us to dive into clear waters. “No one gets hurt” he promises. Once Radiohead sounded like the last band standing after the apocalypse, but this has the lovely optimism and bold use of space as the most wide eyed future pop.
7. Give Up The Ghost – A campfire lullaby for the end of the world. Gently plucked acoustic guitars and a tremulous, distorted backing sample pleading “Don’t hurt me” like the faint spirit of a forgotten gospel singer echoing down the ages. Yorke bids us gather for a last stand, surrending himself into the arms of a lover. It’s a beauty, whirring and clicking in the musical half light, a ghost in the (OK) computer.
8. Seperator – Ending neither with a bang nor a whimper, Yorke and co carry us gently into that good night. The percussive flows is tip tap light, the minimalist bass carrying just the hint of a groove, while guitar notes fracture and multiply all around. Yorke sings “Wake me up” like a sleepy somnambulist. It’s a perfectly understated ending to Radiohead’s most mellifluous collection, not so much a chill out as an exhausted cigarette break in the eye of the hurricane, down time from a disaster. If Radiohead are still a rock band, then no one has told them. This is something else entirely. The sound of the future calling.

Haha, Dalton.

Whoever wrote that is an asshole. Like me. Except he probably doesn't lead nearly as exciting a life as I do.

Just download WinRar. It's a trial version and says it expires, but it never actually does.

I'm shocked out how quickly it downloaded from the site. Let's do this.

Thanks Imporer. I downloaded WinRar, but can't figure out how to get it to open the zipped file. I right-click "open with" and then browse to locate WinRar (really called 7-Zip) after the download, but it won't open. I'll keep trying.

Use the "extract here" deal or just click and drag the folder from the directory in WinRar to your desktop. And call me Impy. Imperor is my father.

Glad I woke up a few mins early this morning.

Now, to still go to the gym and listen there, or to stay and listen at home instead....

After one listen, the only thing that I can say with any degree of certainty is that this album demands more listens. My impression, however, is that Radiohead is operating on another level from the rest of the musical community at the moment. James Blake, for instance, has been lauded as a prodigy of dub-step electronica, yet Radiohead completely and effortlessly trumps him on "Codex." It is an unconventional and at times perhaps intentionally frustrating album, and I foresee a considerable amount of antipathy directed at it on that account, but that antipathy certainly won't come from me.

It is an unconventional and at times perhaps intentionally frustrating album, and I foresee a considerable amount of antipathy directed at it on that account, but that antipathy certainly won't come from me.

You summed up exactly what I'm thinking, in one sentence. Very well said.

I'm shocked out how quickly it downloaded from the site.

Me too. I was terrified the site would have crashed.

37 and a half minutes? I'm sure there will be some complaints on that front, not from me though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom