New proof that pizza IS good for you!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ABEL

An Angel In Devil's Shoes
http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/arts_lifestyle/health/pizzastudy07232003.htm

A SLICE OF PREVENTION

By Peter Reuell
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

College students everywhere can now say, "I told you so."

In a much-reported Italian study released this week, researchers found regular pizza eaters were nearly 60 percent less likely to contract certain cancers.

But MetroWest medical experts yesterday warned against putting the local pizza joint on speed dial.

"You've got to use common sense," insisted Dr. Thomas Sullivan, a cardiologist and president of the Massachusetts Medical Society.

The results of the study are interesting, but should be researched further, not viewed as a free pass to a pizza-exclusive diet, Sullivan said.

"People need to read the articles critically," he said of the Italian study. "I think the answer is a little bit more complicated."

The study wasn't the only dietary study making headlines this week.

Another study, conducted by researchers in Chicago, suggests people age 65 and older who eat fish once a week may reduce their risk of Alzheimer's disease by up to 60 percent.

Shoppers munching in the Natick Mall's food court yesterday were all smiles upon hearing of the pizza study.

"I think that's wonderful," Needham resident Marion Nixon said between bites of a pepperoni slice. "I wouldn't make it a standard diet, but I don't feel guilty when I eat a piece (of pizza.)"

Bolton resident Charlene Welch was more cautious, but said she wouldn't rely on a single study for dietary advice.

"I'd have to know more about (the study)," she said. "I follow (health studies), but I think you have to take everything with a grain of common sense."

Mike Miller, stopping for lunch with his daughter Sianna, called the study interesting, but it probably won't change his diet.

"I kind of eat what I want," the Framingham resident said. "I wouldn't change my intake of it."

With a family history of cancer and obesity, Monica Boucher called the study "pretty good news," but wondered aloud whether the results would hold up.

"I feel like one day they'll say something is good for you, and two days later they'll say, no this is bad," she said.

When it comes to the pizza study, the trick -- as any good pizza cook can testify -- is in the sauce.

Tomatoes, it turns out, are rich in the cancer-inhibiting nutrient lycopene, which research has shown can fend off some types of cancer.

"There is some evidence that suggests it can lower the risk of some cancers," explained Kerri Steinberg, a dietitian at Milford-Whitinsville Regional Hospital.

For those who have to indulge, Steinberg said, it is best to order up the veggie special.

"Obviously, if you're going to have a pizza with lots of cheese on it, and sausage and lots of hamburger -- obviously that's not going to do you any good," she said. "But pizza can be part of a healthy diet."

And in the end, the study's conclusions may turn out to be just plain wrong, said Jerry Wortzman, chairman of pediatrics at the MetroWest Medical Center.

"There's a number of different aspects to that, but one of the issues is the fact that one study finding a particular conclusion doesn't really settle the question," he said.

"Medicine...has just been one after another (conclusions) that bounce from one column to the other column," Wortzman added.

"It takes a lot to really uncover something important. Each study adds a little brick in building those things together."

this is akin to saying that those who wear red t shirts on tuesdays rarely are diagnosed with diabetes.
or those with sony tvs often become obese (well thats probably true).

the 2 events are not neccessarily correlated. in fact there is no reason to believe they are.

but its still entertaining.

So true, Abel...I'm hearing about that alot...it's all about the tomato sauce...it contain these cancer fighting qualities...and let's not forget that on average...all food groups can be covered on a pizza. :drool: I'll be back with the thing in tomato sauce...I can't remember exactly what it's called at the moment. :der:

mmmBono said:
So true, Abel...I'm hearing about that alot...it's all about the tomato sauce...it contain these cancer fighting qualities...and let's not forget that on average...all food groups can be covered on a pizza. :drool: I'll be back with the thing in tomato sauce...I can't remember exactly what it's called at the moment. :der:
yah there it is in the original post...LMFAO...okay...I didn't have enough coffee today :der:
lycopene is not only good against cancer but also heart disease...
And go for some basil too! It's got some detoxifying characteristics...which is a must to have living in the pollution that we do.

Back
Top Bottom