New Pearl Jam leaked!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alright, after a complete listen during which I gave it my 100% full attention.. :wink: I get the feeling this is the kind of album that I will enjoy as a whole rather than focussing on certain brilliant songs. In other words, I find this album pretty tight but no song has really impressed me as much as say, I Am Mine, Love Boat Captain, Save You or Can't Keep. On the other hand, as an album it is probably stronger than Riot Act! Maybe repeated listens will reveal a different picture. :shrug:

"Come Back" is the greatest U2 song that U2 never recorded....

those wailing vocals at the song's climax... so Bono-esque, soooo good, and yet so definitively Pearl Jam all at once.

Just an AMAZING track and a great album

LemonMacPhisto said:

the booklet is fucking creepy :yikes:

EdVed and Rob Zombie were both at the Johnny Ramone memorial last year...coincedence that the artwork for Avocado looks like it belongs on a Zombie CD?

Really liking "Inside Job", "Army Reserve", "Severed Hand", "Comatose"...can't wait to see McCready go off in concert on some of these songs...10 days till Hartford, 21 till Beantown.

Anyone else love Marker in the Sand? I think it may be my favorite.

Also love Life Wasted, Severed Hand, Parachutes, Gone, Army Reserve.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Damn me and my curiosity...

I pulled up a really good lower level seat for their Detroit show. Too bad the Palace is an hour away and it's a Monday night. :sad:

And there are still good seats in Boston too. I've already got two, possibly three other shows lined up between May and June, though.

:(

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Damn me and my curiosity...

I pulled up a really good lower level seat for their Detroit show. Too bad the Palace is an hour away and it's a Monday night. :sad:

So...? :wink:

*has tickets for Antwerp, which is 2+ hours away, for a Wednesday night*

Gave away my leaked copy because of the sound quality, and plan on buying it tomorrow. I'm jonesing for it already after a few days.

Am I the only one who thinks Unemployable is the best PJ song since Corduroy? It sounds so fresh, you almost want to say experimental for them but they've tried so many things it doesn't really mean much. When I first heard the song described as sounding like The Police I was intrigued, and while I can see the comparison (old Police, at least), it's so much more than that. And like Corduroy, it's much too short.

Some dillweed on Amazon.com said it was the worst song on the album because it reminded him of Sheryl Crow. Riiiiight.

Here's the setlist for the Letterman mini-concert, if anyone missed it:

World Wide Suicide
Comatose
Severed Hand
Marker In The Sand
Gone
Unemployable
Present Tense
Do The Evolution
Why Go
Porch

It was an amazing thing to see this live from the studio...the performance just underscores how much I love the band, and how truly great they are live.

The webcast is set to be archived on Letterman's website later this evening. I was able to dig up an mp3. It's a little choppy at the start, but it's still incredible to hear the new songs for the first time live: http://www.sendspace.com/file/t5g3uj

Watching this, I get the feeling the band are truly reinvigorated. It's not a comeback, of course, because they never went away. It does make me wonder, however, if they went through a funk during Binaural and Riot Act...both professionally and personally. Those are two of my favourite albums, but they're more of a sombre snapshot in time compared to the intensity of this one.

All this wandering means I'm officially addicted all over again :drool:

Am I the only one that can't get any of the links on that Letterman page to work?

The mp3 sounds awesome though. This is getting burned pronto and played in my car. SO glad to hear Present Tense in that set, along with Why Go and Porch.

Anybody else find it fascinating that their most pointedly idealistic, dogmatic, and thematically consistant album is also when they decide to go eponymous? It's virtually a concept album, but it's been given their name. I may just be too analytical. It is nearly 3 AM, I am on page 36 of my paper on reality in musical film, and i've got a gigantic coffee sitting next to me. I ramble.

i'll tell ya... pearl jam setlist parties are decidedly more exciting than those of the u2 variety..

Opening Night Set - Toronto
Set List: Severed Hand, WWS, Life Wasted, Marker in the Sand, Given to Fly, Betterman, Even Flow, Unemployable, Garden, Sad, Corduroy, Present Tense, Daughter (unknown tag), Grievance, Not For You, Inside Job, Why Go

First Encore: Do The Evolution, Jeremy, Come Back, Alive

Second Encore: Porch, Rockin' In The Free World, Yellow Ledbetter

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:
i'll tell ya... pearl jam setlist parties are decidedly more exciting than those of the u2 variety..

Opening Night Set - Toronto
Set List: Severed Hand, WWS, Life Wasted, Marker in the Sand, Given to Fly, Betterman, Even Flow, Unemployable, Garden, Sad, Corduroy, Present Tense, Daughter (unknown tag), Grievance, Not For You, Inside Job, Why Go

First Encore: Do The Evolution, Jeremy, Come Back, Alive

Second Encore: Porch, Rockin' In The Free World, Yellow Ledbetter

Good setlist but not great. The one thing about PJ, is you can go to one show and then the next night be completely jealous of the setlist the next city got...

But that being said they do have some predictability in their setlists...

Any word on how long the show was?

haven't seen how long the show was yet... but i did read that mcready broke out a double necked guitar for Inside Job, and the band came on stage to Master/Slave (Ten intro/outro music)

Pearl Jam - Air Canada Centre, Toronto - May 9, 2006

By SHERRI WOOD - Toronto Sun

TORONTO - If you were at Pearl Jam's 2006 world tour kick-off show last night at the Air Canada Centre, consider yourself lucky.

Not only was it possibly one of the band's final Toronto performances (they play a second show tonight but have said this may be their last tour), but it may very well go down in history as one of the greatest live performances to ever hit this city.

Even though there are no other Canadian dates on the tour, it was clear the group has a particular fondness for Canada.

"This is the first night of our tour," said vocalist/guitarist Eddie Vedder. "It seems like this side of the border is a safe place to start."

The Seattle quintet -- rounded out by guitarist Stone Gossard, drummer Matt Cameron, guitarist Mike McCready and bassist Jeff Ament -- are touring in support of their eighth studio album, released last week and simply called Pearl Jam.

They've said they rehearsed more for this tour than any other. And it showed.

Awash in multicoloured lights and smoke, the band flawlessly delivered an audible lesson of their 15-year history.

Songs from their epic 1991 debut, Ten, including Even Flow and Garden, were, not surprisingly, the best received.

Even the new songs, including their latest single, World Wide Suicide, were performed with an energy that was fierce and raw and so deeply reminiscent of the early '90s Pearl Jam that we all fell in love with in the first place.

Shaggy and unassuming in their signature jeans-and-T-shirt uniforms, the band had no trouble at all getting the crowd -- a traditional lighter-in-the-air (and not cellphones) rock fan set -- to sing along.

The highlight of the night came during a tradition for Toronto Pearl Jam dates -- the awe-inspiring, chill-inducing Better Man sing-a-long, with the sold-out crowd's Daughter accompaniment coming a close second.

And of course, Pearl Jam have never been ones to disappoint during the encores.

Last night's included crowd favourites Do The Evolution, Jeremy and Alive as well as a ballad from the new album, Come Back.

It's a remarkable ability, they have, to make their encore sets feel special, impromptu and genuine -- not at all like the standard contrived and obligatory encore offerings concert-goers have become so accustomed to.

Swigging from his trademark bottle of wine, Vedder, always the everyman, took the opportunity to further befriend the crowd.

"So, where are you guys going after this?" he asked. "'Cause I feel like having a drink."

In standard Pearl Jam style, they capped the show with a request for the house lights to go on, a rugged cover of Neil Young's Rockin' In The Free World and an energetic Yellow Ledbetter.

If the impeccable musicianship, hypnotizing stage performance and utterly engaging audience interaction for this show didn't move you enough, the notoriously philanthropic band gave us even more to feel good about.

They've decided to donate one dollar from every ticket sold to a local charity in each city they play -- and that money will come directly out of their own pockets for the Toronto dates. Last night's show will benefit the White Ribbon Campaign, a renowned anti-violence-against-women group. Tonight, the guys will dish out for Sketch -- a non-profit initiative that engages homeless youth in the arts.

And if you can still get a ticket tonight, I highly recommend you do.

You can thank me later.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Good setlist but not great. The one thing about PJ, is you can go to one show and then the next night be completely jealous of the setlist the next city got...

But that being said they do have some predictability in their setlists...

Any word on how long the show was?

It's the first show of the tour. Let them get their touring legs and the shows will undoubtly be longer and dip deeper into their catalogue.

I think that setlist looks rockin' but a tad short.
Nice review as well. :up:

The OOTS said:

It's the first show of the tour. Let them get their touring legs and the shows will undoubtly be longer and dip deeper into their catalogue.

I wasn't complaining at all...

I mean at first glance it looked short compared to PJ standards but at second look it's probably about right.

I just didn't think it was the strongest setlist I've seen them do.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I wasn't complaining at all...

I mean at first glance it looked short compared to PJ standards but at second look it's probably about right.

I just didn't think it was the strongest setlist I've seen them do.

I didn't think you were complaining.
I actually agree with you. The setlist is 'safe' by PJ standards, but that will change as the tour progresses.

progresses? it'll change tonight lol

i heard in an interview with the BBC that eddie was at one point toying with the idea oh a computer program that produced randomly generated setlists, but scraped it 'cause he missed the human element of actually deciding that morning the set

Last edited:
I haven't seen anyone mention the free card that came with the CD if you bought it at an independent retailer. Did anyone else get it? You get a unique code to be able to download a song from the forthcoming Live At Easy Street EP.

I actually haven't done it yet. Was just wondering if anyone else has...

Back
Top Bottom