New LOR extended edition DVD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lemon Meringue

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Has anyone seen the new edition with 30 minutes of extra movie footage and stuff? I'm just wondering if it's good stuff? We already have the orignal release, but this new one is 4 discs. Is it worth buying?

Anyone? Anyone?

Oh man, I want to buy this sooooo bad :drool: But right now funds are low, if you buy soon you also get a voucher good for a free ticket to see the Two Towers so its worth it. I havent seen it yet but have heard good things!

Sorry about that. I think its worth it, really.

Plus the packaging is cool too....the booklet is a map.

The cast commentary is great, if you have 3 hours to kill.

:yes:

I forgot about this. someone started a thread about this earlier and i said i was going to get it. shit now I am broke for the next week. :banghead:

So I am just a casual LOTR fan, my hubby is not psycho about it but he likes it more than I do, so he sprung for the extended version. I thought some of the fans out there were crazy, but I'm wondering if the production people were even more crazy after watching some of the disc where they talk about the making of the movie. I mean seriously - making all that chainmale (sp?) by hand? Like hooking each ring together for each and every one? The detail in the armor, just so many different things - unbelievable.

:coocoo:

bonosloveslave said:
So I am just a casual LOTR fan, my hubby is not psycho about it but he likes it more than I do, so he sprung for the extended version. I thought some of the fans out there were crazy, but I'm wondering if the production people were even more crazy after watching some of the disc where they talk about the making of the movie. I mean seriously - making all that chainmale (sp?) by hand? Like hooking each ring together for each and every one? The detail in the armor, just so many different things - unbelievable.

Anyone in the feature wearing a "I'm a citizen of Middle Earth" T-Shirt?

nbcrusader said:

Anyone in the feature wearing a "I'm a citizen of Middle Earth" T-Shirt?

Not that I can remember but I wouldn't doubt it. :laugh:
I actually wasn't watching all that closely, I was on here while he was playing that disc so I was only half-paying attention. It's just amazing that basically everything seen in the movie was handmade from scratch. Seems like it would be expensive, especially labor costs, but my husband commented that since all 3 movies were made at the same time, they were able to reuse most of the props. I dunno, just seems really over-the-top to me :shrug:

I'm so impatient to get this thing
arg!!!
damn money!

why don't I have a money tree??

themoneytree.jpg

bonosloveslave said:

Actually, that's not dedication to duty, that's just reality of chainmaile! That's actually how you have to make it! It's incredibly time-consuming...and the *really* dedicated ones make their own rings, one by one, rather than buying "pre-made" ones. (Though where you actually buy them, I have no idea.)

Can you tell how much I've hung out at the Renaissance Faire?
:wink: Interesting stuff....

Aragorn looks particularly nice in chainmaile though.... :drool:

Elisabeth

bonosloveslave said:

Interesting comments. Everyone else who has seen this has been appreciative of how much attention was paid to detail. There were no 'cheesy' sets or costumes or props. Everything was authentic...right down to the glasses in the bar. They even went to the set of the shire and grew plants there a year before they started shooting so it would look like people actually lived there.

We aren't talking about run of the mill fantasy books here...we are talking a classic that a huge fanbase, some of whom have been waiting 50 years to see these movies. No halfway measures or just 'make do' will pass the test on these films. It was vital that it look good to please all those fans so it will make money...and evidently all that hard work paid off...big time.

I for one thought they did an excellent job ...and they have spoiled me. Every other set or prop I see in other movies will probably look cheap and tacky in comparison. They have really raised the standards for movie making...

As far as money...New Line has already recouped the cost of making the movies and then some....its all gravy now.

dream wanderer

Last edited:
AvsGirl41 said:

Actually, that's not dedication to duty, that's just reality of chainmaile! That's actually how you have to make it! It's incredibly time-consuming...and the *really* dedicated ones make their own rings, one by one, rather than buying "pre-made" ones. (Though where you actually buy them, I have no idea.)

Can you tell how much I've hung out at the Renaissance Faire?
:wink: Interesting stuff....

Aragorn looks particularly nice in chainmaile though.... :drool:

Elisabeth

Actually, it quite is dedication to duty. I've got the set, and they said that most movie chain mail is actually not rings tied together, but cheap plastic molds of entire pieces of chainmail, just spray painted metallic and it looked quite fake. So for the sake of detail and a more authentic look, they actually made their own rings out of hard plastic tubing that they devised a machine for that would cut the proper sized rings out of, then they would spray paint each one and finally hand link them together. They chose plastic as it would be much easier to repair as well as much lighter to wear for the actors. One piece of mail might have over 80,000 links in it, so yes, it was quite a labor of love!

I'll just chime in here and say that the extended 4-dvd set would be worth the money if it was only the 2 special features discs alone. I'm usually bored to tears by extended special features, but I found these fascinating - it really gives you a much deeper appreciation for the film and all involved in it. The amount of detail, time, determination and downright love that went into this film is astounding.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom