New LCD Soundsystem album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
noted and appreciated, but i missed the whole "pulling a Fredo" bit.

why is it Scumbo, by the way? is this part of the reason?

It's a movie reference to another movie reference. It means you're banging cocktail waitresses two at a time instead of listening to music all day.

Why is his name Scumbo? Because he's scum.

Sound of Silver > self-titled

Self-Titled > Sound Of Silver

Why? I actually have fun listening to the S/T, and it sounds like it was fun to make. SOS is too self-important to have fun, and it spreads itself far too thin. I got an idea of what album James Murphy was attempting to make with the debut, but SOS never really establishes itself in any particular way. A little funk, a little rock, a little dance, a little piano balladry...it doesn't add up to much. Plus, there's really no reason to play the album after the awesome duo of Someone Great and All My Friends. Us v Them, Watch The Tapes and Sound Of Silver are all faceless and unmemorable, and by the time the great New York I Love You rolls around, it feels like the soundtrack to a bad hangover from what had just transpired. By then, I've already forgotten about the solid first half.

Really, what I'm looking for from This Is Happening is the knowledge that Murphy can still churn out a terrific beat, as the pure dance tracks on the last record really weren't quite up to par. They were there, but obviously overshadowed by All My Friends and North American Scum, which sounded a lot more lived-in and impassioned, you know? I don't want to box the band in, as they're good in multiple genres. I just wish they would either settle on something or make a double album to suit their ambitions. Another jack-of-all-trades album with a couple classics and a lot of meh wouldn't kill their legacy, but it would provide another album for the S/T to be superior to.

Plus, there's really no reason to play the album after the awesome duo of Someone Great and All My Friends. Us v Them, Watch The Tapes and Sound Of Silver are all faceless and unmemorable, and by the time the great New York I Love You rolls around, it feels like the soundtrack to a bad hangover from what had just transpired. By then, I've already forgotten about the solid first half.

That is what always happens to me. I chuck the album in and go "woah! I underrated this" and then start getting bored towards the end. Then I walk around hearing the last track in my head for weeks (which I love) and don't know what to think. New York, I Love You is like when a girl you're falling out with gives you some impassioned sex out of nowhere and you feel all confused.

And Someone Great is still > All My Friends.

Yes, thank you for saying this.

Phils, I don't question that you really enjoy "All My Friends," but I fear that effusive praise for that particular song is rapidly ascending the list of indie cliches. I know a few people that reference their love for that song as though it is some type of validation of hipster credibility. But again, Phils, I'm not assuming that you do the same.

And Someone Great is still > All My Friends.

Definitely. My favorite LCD song. And I agree with some of you that Sound of Silver starts dragging, becoming a bit unremarkable after All My Friends.

Someone Great was on LM's DI list. I wasn't overly enamoured with it.

The band's DJs played a set Pyramid Fest over new years here, that was awesome.

Why? I actually have fun listening to the S/T, and it sounds like it was fun to make. SOS is too self-important to have fun, and it spreads itself far too thin. I got an idea of what album James Murphy was attempting to make with the debut, but SOS never really establishes itself in any particular way. A little funk, a little rock, a little dance, a little piano balladry...it doesn't add up to much. Plus, there's really no reason to play the album after the awesome duo of Someone Great and All My Friends. Us v Them, Watch The Tapes and Sound Of Silver are all faceless and unmemorable, and by the time the great New York I Love You rolls around, it feels like the soundtrack to a bad hangover from what had just transpired. By then, I've already forgotten about the solid first half.

Really, what I'm looking for from This Is Happening is the knowledge that Murphy can still churn out a terrific beat, as the pure dance tracks on the last record really weren't quite up to par. They were there, but obviously overshadowed by All My Friends and North American Scum, which sounded a lot more lived-in and impassioned, you know? I don't want to box the band in, as they're good in multiple genres. I just wish they would either settle on something or make a double album to suit their ambitions. Another jack-of-all-trades album with a couple classics and a lot of meh wouldn't kill their legacy, but it would provide another album for the S/T to be superior to.
Needless to say, I completely disagree. You completely underrate the non-singles on SOS.

Yes, thank you for saying this.

Phils, I don't question that you really enjoy "All My Friends," but I fear that effusive praise for that particular song is rapidly ascending the list of indie cliches. I know a few people that reference their love for that song as though it is some type of validation of hipster credibility. But again, Phils, I'm not assuming that you do the same.
I have no indie validation, I'm not even close friends with Sufjan Stevens.

But seriously, I do just unabashedly love that track. I've listened to it more than any other song I own, and it's still just as good.

Logically.
I'm smaht, I can do things!

john-cazale-godfather-film-junkie.jpg

Guess no one felt inclined to mention the small summer tour:

05-20 New York, NY - Terminal 5
05-21 New York, NY - Terminal 5
05-24 Montreal, Quebec - Metropolis
05-25 Toronto, Ontario - Koolhaus
05-26 Chicago, IL - Metro
05-29 Portland, OR - Roseland
05-30 George, WA - Sasquatch Festival
05-31 Vancouver, British Columbia - Malkin Bowl
06-03 San Francisco, CA - Fillmore
06-08 Austin, TX - Stubb's
06-09 Dallas, TX - Palladium
06-11 Manchester, TN - Bonnaroo Festival

June 8, huh? I can swing that. Oh, I can definitely swing that.

I don't think I'm up for dragging my booty up to Vancouver or to the Gorge, so I guess I'm not seeing him.

I saw him open for Arcade Fire a few years ago, and it was fun - would definitely go again, but only if I don't have to schlep so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom