New female singers on the way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
It seems the music industry is slowly, but surely turning away from Britney & clones to singers with talent and something to say - Alicia Keys (or maybe even Lauryn Hill) started it, now we have Norah Jones, Jess Stone (just saw the video for the Fell in love with a boy. WOW @ the voice - if I hadn't read about her before I wouldn't have guessed she was just 16) etc...a myriad of new and upcoming stars.

Ain't it nice?

I hate to be negative, but Norah Jones makes me want to run through a field of daisies with a combine harvester.
She IS nails on a chalkboard.
:slant:

But better than that ironic woman...mental blank.

On the whole, I despise female artists with a passion. But every now and then you get exceptions to the rule like Skin, Ambrosia Parsley, Tori Amos, Max Sharam etc. And they more than make up for the diva genre. Thankfully .

Emmylou Harris... :drool:

OK, she's not new, but she is female. :)

I have to admit that Joss Stone has a great voice (now, if I could only find her CD without Copy Control protection). And I hear positive things about Amy Winehouse too. Could be interesting...

C ya!

Marty

Angela Harlem said:
I hate to be negative, but Norah Jones makes me want to run through a field of daisies with a combine harvester.
She IS nails on a chalkboard.
:slant:

But better than that ironic woman...mental blank.

Alanis Morisette? :slant:

I really hate Norah Jones too
And Katie Melua is just like her and everyone seems to love her whiny, droning voice :yuck:
I don't like Joss Stone either. :| :lol:

I do like Nelly Furtado though she has a good song out at the moment imo "try"

Popmartijn said:

I have to admit that Joss Stone has a great voice (now, if I could only find her CD without Copy Control protection). And I hear positive things about Amy Winehouse too. Could be interesting...

I was sent a cd of one of her singles to review and I really liked it, the song reminded me a bit of Nelly Furtado.... can't remember the name though....

Stronger than me!
I think :laugh:

I'm not sure if I'd say Lauryn Hill or Alicia Keys started anything there's always been amazing female artist around just none with the "selling" power of a Britney or Xtina.

I mean you have;

Joni Mitchell, Dolly Parton, Aretha, Tori Amos, Sinead, Throwing Muses, Sarah McClauclan(sp?), Nikka Costa, Jewel(early), Breeders, Liz Phair(early), Janis Joplin, Heather Nova, Emmy Lou Harris, and the list goes on.

Angela Harlem said:

!!!!!!!!!!

BVS we should be friends :love:
i was going to add her before after i wrote this, but forgot.

walk this world :drool:
wow.
among others!
:up:

Ok let's be friends.

I was just listening to Siren last night, great album...good make out music.

I wish I was making out with her...:drool:

I don't really like Norah Jones...at least nothing I've heard so far. :reject: I'm not opposed to keep trying some of her stuff if it comes my way...but I'm not going out of my way to experience her.

Joss Stone has an amazing voice. I want her album.

My favorite female singer is Leona Naess.

<----------- I think everyone knows Tori's my gal.

To add to the list...

PJ
Bjork
Ani

Popmartijn said:
Emmylou Harris... :drool:

OK, she's not new, but she is female. :)

And she has a way of remaining contemporary and in fact, just keeps getting cooler. :up:

I think that there are heaps of great female artists out there who actually write their own music, but sadly unless they look 'sexy' they dont quite grab the attention of the mainstream. I think a lot of male artists can get away with this a little bit, there dosn't seem to be as much emphasis on men looking 'sexy', but then again the mainstream charts are usually filled with crap music....

Female artists I really like are,
early Bjork- Debut, Post and The Sugarcubes, after Post she just seemed to get a little too arty for me
Sarah McLachlan
PJ Harvery- totally amazing female performer who sings, writes and performs (how totally different!!!)
Bonnie Rait- great female blues artist
early Jewel- bit of a shame that she has now gone down the 'sexy, pop' road
Madonna- I love her heaps and admire her business savvy and staying power, she definately comes across as a woman with balls!!!!!
Joni Mitchell- the original folk mistress
Michelle Shocked
Gwen Steffani- although she is in a band I think her solo career is just around the corner and she has great style!!
Lisa Gerrard- one half of Dead can Dance and now doing her own stuff, this woman is amazingly talented

and some Aussies,
Tiddas
Deborah Conway
ohhhhhhhhhhh there are so many, I saw so many great female performers over summer at various festivals, if you are prepared to look beyond the mainstream, well you can really find some great talent..

Chan Marshall (aka Cat Power)
Sleater-Kinney
Missy Elliott
Fiona Apple
Peaches
Beth Gibbons
Sia

I like Norah Jones but she's definitely in "one album is enough" category for me. Ditto for Dido and Macy Gray.

Last edited:
My Faves:

Joni Mitchell
Sarah Mclachlan
Trisha Yearwood
Linda Ronstadt
Emmylou Harris
Annie Lennox
Be Good Tanyas
Karen Carpenter
Kathleen Edwards
Cecilia Bartoli
Carly Simon
Jann Arden
Michelle Branch
Madonna
Ricky Lee Jones
Melissa Etheridge
Chrissie Hynde
Patty Loveless
Shawn Colvin
Tracy Chapman
Macy Gray
Tina Turner
Sheryl Crowe
Wynonna Judd

I know it's a big list but I think they are all great!

Beth Orton, Gemma Hayes, and Beth Gibbons... :yes: (the beths really aren't new i guess, but they are great :) )

I'm also liking Thea Gilmore.

Last edited:
Popmartijn said:
I have to admit that Joss Stone has a great voice (now, if I could only find her CD without Copy Control protection).

Very easy to get around with a piece of Scotch tape and a black marker. :)

Yes the copy control thing is very true- near the centre of the disc one just needs to 'black out' the little code with a marker pen and hey presto one cd you can burn. I feel no shame in telling people this as a friend of mine was acutally told this by the manager of a prominant Australian band at a music conference last year............:wink:

Back
Top Bottom